Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

it will be a close one and thats the type of game youd want harney for but I think we will beat them, mighty to see their hurlers beaten last night too, theyre a cocky crowd of ***** just like the rhubarbs, safe travel to everyone today and up the rosies

Would always have had a soft spot for Roscommon as a Galway person and most Galway people I know would have. Your attitude I would imagine is not the common one there . I’m glad Dublin beating Galway brought you such joy last night sure there no point shouting for your own province

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭threeball

spurshero wrote: »
    Would always have had a soft spot for Roscommon as a Galway person and most Galway people I know would have. Your attitude I would imagine is not the common one there . I’m glad Dublin beating Galway brought you such joy last night sure there no point shouting for your own province

Yer man has proven himself to be a bit of a donkey in most of his posts. Bitter little man so I wouldn't pay much attention. Hates everyone but his sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

threeball wrote:
    Yer man has proven himself to be a bit of a donkey in most of his posts. Bitter little man so I wouldn't pay much attention. Hates everyone but his sheep.

He really shouldn't be posting here anymore. Never had anything good to add to any conversation I've read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

As a Rossie I dont mind Galway at all and above poster would be in the minority in this county with above views.i never had any bother at games with Galway crowd compared with the other despicable whores with the "best fans in the world". Much rather lose to Galway than Mayo.
    Hoping for a good game but would equally be happy if we come out the right side of a poor game

Bit of a generalisation there.

All counties have their share of supporters who bring their county into disrepute through their behaviour.This minority are not sufficient to blacken a whole county's fanbase with a such a labelling as you have.

I'm not entirely sure where you've got the idea that Mayo supporters claim to be the best supporters in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

seligehgit wrote: »

All counties have their share of supporters who bring their county into disrepute through their behaviour.This minority are not sufficient to blacken a whole county's fanbase with a such a labelling as you have.

I'm not entirely sure where you've got the idea that Mayo supporters claim to be the best supporters in the world.

Seriously like...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

seligehgit wrote:

Media crap along with the idiots amongst us who carry on the Mayo4Sam rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Ah it was a tongue in cheek comment relax. I know every county has there fair share of eegits. I just personally have encountered more from Mayo than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Fair play lads! Enjoy the celebrations-some second half performance to come back from that score line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Fantastic win.

Cox and Murtagh were the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Well done Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

it will be an enjoyable traffic jam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭threeball

Fair play Roscommon. When I saw the Galway team announced I said ye'd win it. Pretty much exactly as I thought, you had locked down the defence and attack with far more pace than us. I hope he get a good draw in the super 8s and give it a right rattle.

Ye have a good man at the helm who was badly treated in Galway.

threeball wrote: »
    Fair play Roscommon. When I saw the Galway team announced I said ye'd win it. Pretty much exactly as I thought, you had locked down the defence and attack with far more pace than us. I hope he get a good draw in the super 8s and give it a right rattle.

Ye have a good man at the helm who was badly treated in Galway.

Not trying to hijack the Roscommon thread on this most joyous of days but I thought Anthony Cunningham was treated pretty despicably in Galway.He seems to be an incredibly decent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

What a great result - thankfully Galway didn't have one leader among their 15

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yeah Mayo fans were gracious in defeat the other week and I remember Westport in 2006 dj in castlecourt wishing both Mayo and Roscommon best in all Ireland final week before.

Alcohol plays big issue among supporters. I have seen Roscommon fans fighting among themselves and mayo fans fighting among themselves on trains back from Dublin.

Well done Roscommon. The way you closed out the game in the last 10 minutes or so was seriously, seriously impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well done Roscommon. The way you closed out the game in the last 10 minutes or so was seriously, seriously impressive.

I see some posters in the main thread have labelled us cynical tramps for that last 10 mins, makes a change from being labelled totally naive I guess!!!

Don't mind them. The last 10 minutes were downright Dublinesque. I'll let you figure out for yourself if that's a good thing or a bad thing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not trying to hijack the Roscommon thread on this most joyous of days but I thought Anthony Cunningham was treated pretty despicably in Galway.He seems to be an incredibly decent man.

Subsequent results prove otherwise. Players didn't oust him for no reason.
    Best of luck in coming games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Oh that was wonderful. Second half anyway!

Like a lot of people around me I was more than worried at half time. I'm optimistic by nature, but the poor finish to the first half had even me thinking it was going to be one of those days.

But fair play, literally every single Roscommon player stood up and was counted in the second half. And that's all you want from the team representing your county. If you're going to lose, go out on your shield, giving everything you have. Roscommon completely took over in the second half and it has to be said Galway coped very poorly once the pressure was on. It's just great to see Roscommon play with such pride and determination. The desire to win can never, ever be overestimated. Roscommon simply wanted to win more than Galway.

As I said all the players played so well, but since I've criticised them both before I think it's only fair to praise them when they play well and that's Tadhg O'Ruairc and Niall Kilroy. Both are very honest players irrespective of ability or anything else and while they may not win much plaudits I thought when Roscommon needed them in the second half, like all the other players they showed they were up to the task and Tadhg's catch at the very end when Roscommon really, really needed to win the kickout was my favourite moment in the whole Connacht campaign. Well done lads.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »

Agreed I meant more so the process around his removal,he deserved better.

You do realise you're wishing a Mayo man best of luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Were the players right though? I know mayo are still getting it in the neck from breheny about their forcing out managers, and the dog in the street knew those lads had very mixed records as managers (and still do in fact) and seemed to get the job more by default due to the dislike taken to mcstays plans. Cunningham on the other hand actually seems to have some genuine quality and has shown it more than once. Breheny might be hunting ye this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

By the way, does anyone know where to find the match on RTE player? Forgot to tape it (again) and when I tried on Player they only had the Tipp/Limerick hurling on. Does it come out later in the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

megadodge wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone know where to find the match on RTE player? Forgot to tape it (again) and when I tried on Player they only had the Tipp/Limerick hurling on. Does it come out later in the week?

if its not up on it already it will be by tomorrow morning sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Not the best weekend to be pointing out Galway hurling’s more recent results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Were the players right though? I know mayo are still getting it in the neck from breheny about their forcing out managers, and the dog in the street knew those lads had very mixed records as managers (and still do in fact) and seemed to get the job more by default due to the dislike taken to mcstays plans. Cunningham on the other hand actually seems to have some genuine quality and has shown it more than once. Breheny might be hunting ye this week!

he is a brilliant coach be it football or hurling he definitely has a great skill of man management to merge the two codes

but the player should always have a say in who is in charge , many of the galway fringe players lost there place on the panel for the better of galway hurling at the time , the mayo players had the same idea , fact is i would rather players having a say then some county board chief that has never kicked nor pucked a ball in there life the players have to be included in these process

as for roscommon , i remember we playing ye in a division 4 game less then 10 years ago , ye also dont need reminding what happened in round 4 of the qualifiers in 2016, most counties would have given up at that stage

most teams in leinster have given up, ye lost something in the region of 10 players since 2017 and were as many people regarded as out of there depth last year in the super 8s

5 in a row or not the real success story for the year has been this team ,and for the majority of football counties in the country is to follow roscommons lead and ignore dublin

fantastic achievement especially to beat mayo and galway away from home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

he is a brilliant coach be it football or hurling he definitely has a great skill of man management to merge the two codes

but the player should always have a say in who is in charge , many of the galway fringe players lost there place on the panel for the better of galway hurling at the time , the mayo players had the same idea , fact is i would rather players having a say then some county board chief that has never kicked nor pucked a ball in there life the players have to be included in these process

as for roscommon , i remember we playing ye in a division 4 game less then 10 years ago , ye also dont need reminding what happened in round 4 of the qualifiers in 2016, most counties would have given up at that stage

most teams in leinster have given up, ye lost something in the region of 10 players since 2017 and were as many people regarded as out of there depth last year in the super 8s

5 in a row or not the real success story for the year has been this team ,and for the majority of football counties in the country is to follow roscommons lead and ignore dublin

fantastic achievement especially to beat mayo and galway away from home

this bunch of players have no fear of beating Mayo or Galway
    they all did it consistently at minor and U21
    many of them have sigerson medals

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Jesus - reading the comments on the All Ireland Championship thread - we're apparently the most cynical and cheating team since Tyrone. What a load of BS!!!!

For what it's worth Pearse Stadium has to be the worst venue in Ireland for a match. Conditions are always shocking and are never going to lend to an open attacking game of football - when the ball is like a bar of soap and rain is teaming down. Those purists over there would want a dose of reality.

Fantastic win built on tremendous fight and character, in previous years we may have cone out in the second half and surrendered but not yesterday. Nobody can say we didn't earn that title, beating both Mayo and Galway in their back yard to secure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The after match speech was giving a big thank you to the county board hmm... those lads had Aidan O'Rourke as their "preferred" choice as McStay replacement. Two noteworthy days for Roscommon senior football last year, October 24, 2018 the spoofer Aidan O'Rourke withdrew and Nov 9, 2018 a proper manager in Mr Cunningham was appointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The after match speech was giving a big thank you to the county board hmm... those lads had Aidan O'Rourke as their "preferred" choice as McStay replacement. Two noteworthy days for Roscommon senior football last year, October 24, 2018 the spoofer Aidan O'Rourke withdrew and Nov 9, 2018 a proper manager in Mr Cunningham was appointed.

yeah, but only he became available due to Gilroy stepping down

Advertisement