Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Well; My Starlings Have Officially Gone ...

Options
  • 22-05-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Bat sh!t crazy!!! :eek: There's a nest, in Here!

WT.jpg

And, yes; For the particularly eagle eyed? That's a derelict old " Workmate " that box is laying on! What? Two foot off the ground? And, it's in a compound populated with a small pack of crazy Dogs!

I was just sat here, reading this very board, as it happens, when I saw one of my Dogs reacting to something. Wondering what had got her attention, I went out there.

All my Dogs then started focusing on this box ~ which I'd repaired, after a pine marten attack and had left, laying there, as I'm busy with a fence project. Then, lo and behold! Bloody starling pops its head out!!!

I'm completely flummoxed, now. There's a nest in there. No eggs, yet. I threw those clamp straps round it, so the Dogs can't just knock it off. Mind's spinning, frankly! What in blazes do I do now?!

I have spare boxes (That was one of them!) I intended to put up in more secure locations. I think I'll just have to get More boxes up, and hope the Dogs convince bird brain of the error of his ways. Without eating him. Then, maybe he'll adopt a safer positioned box?

Just to be clear, here; I have about two dozen boxes up. And still I have starlings, This desperate for a nest site :(

You know what ye have to do, people .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Doesn't surprise me at all. Starlings are in the top twenty most widespread birds in Ireland and will nest in trees, buildings and walls, at all heights and any aspect.

They saw a potential site and grabbed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

I've had them 'grab' boxes I'd left on the floor, in an open shed.

Now I think about it? Despite this being Leitrim? There's actually amazingly few 'natural' sites left to them. Practically every farm around took advantage of the grants for shiny new sheds. Lucky to find one starlings nest amongst those. No where for them.

Vast swathes of sitka spruce are useless. Most of the houses ~ in town, as well as around here ~ are sealed up like UPVC drums. I don't honestly recall ever having seen a single starling in town. Saw a house sparrow, the other week. I gasped!

Just look at the seasonal onslaught, on here! " Nature is impinging on me! How can I destroy it?! " :mad:

I dunno. Starlings are in free fall decline, all over. Chris Feare was telling me, the other day; In southern england, it's down to lack of food. No lack of that, here. But, no where to nest. Talk about rocks and hard places :(

Oh well; I'm doing my bit. Maybe, one day, they'll make a film about me. Call it " Stiguras List " :D

Advertisement