Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Floor Insulation hack ? Steel Shed concrete Base

• 21-05-2019 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi I have a 5x4m 40mm Composit steel shed ordered and am currently getting the concrete base ready. I am following the steel tech two part pour guide for a concrete base shown in this video.

https://youtu.be/O8VtjP_Yx8M

My question is, instead of the second concrete pouring to raise the internal floor slightly, could I just put down sheets of kingspan floor installation to the same debth right over the DPC?
    And then ply over that.

Or any advice on and how insulation can be incorporated into the method used in the guide video much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How are you going to stop water getting under the insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW this was the job done by one of the shed suppliers for a friend of mine.

I'm not sure I could do as good a job.

20190514-174207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrfool35

Lumen wrote: »

Was wondering if the DPC would help that.

Also was wondering if perhaps laying a narrow strip of concrete around the internal perimeter 50x50mm as a step in height, and then laying the 50mm insulated boards inside and flush with that would keep it watertight, if the DPC alone couldn't do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Lumen wrote: »

there shouldn't be any if it's done correctly

OP is there a reason you don't want to put concrete in second floor ? theres no reason why you can't put 50mm insulation in before the second floor goes in

• Advertisement

OP is there a reason you don't want to put concrete in second floor ? theres no reason why you can't put 50mm insulation in before the second floor goes in

Mostly to do with the hassle of organising a second pouring, and also trying keeping it as one man job friendly as possible. Also the amount of various materials I need to order to do the job is a headache for a rookie like me, between renting cement mixers, tones of crushed stone, bags of cement, sand etc. Cause both pours come in slightly under the minimum order I could make for premixed concrete.

Original idea was laying sheets of insulation over the finished 2 part floor, but I'm conscious about internal wall height shrinking everytime the floor is raised.

So still considering the two part pour and Thanks for the tip. If going for a two part pour with insulation boards below the second floor, at what stage exactly do I lay the insulation boards?

Thanks!

I'd put insulation on top of the plastic, tape all joints and pour second floor, remember to allow an extra 50 mm for the insulation when setting up

if you didn't want to concrete it prep the same way allowing the extra 50 mm, plastic, insulation, 2x2 batons every 400(unfixed and cut tight) 18mm ply screwed down to baton, when all is done it shouldn't budge as long as everything is level and sitting right

if it's only going to be a storage shed I'd be happy with just 25 mm insulation, itll do the same job

I'd put insulation on top of the plastic, tape all joints and pour second floor, remember to allow an extra 50 mm for the insulation when setting up

if you didn't want to concrete it prep the same way allowing the extra 50 mm, plastic, insulation, 2x2 batons every 400(unfixed and cut tight) 18mm ply screwed down to baton, when all is done it shouldn't budge as long as everything is level and sitting right

if it's only going to be a storage shed I'd be happy with just 25 mm insulation, itll do the same job

Thanks a million, that's really helpful!

Advertisement