Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Large Spider

• 20-05-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Apologies for another spider identification thread, but I've never seen something as large and chunky as this one in the wild.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Looks like a wolf spider. Don't let it bite you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A tiddler.
    Saw them in Hong Kong the size of your hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I reckon it's a wolf spider too, fast and aggressive little fellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just a thought...are these relatively new in Ireland.?

Always associated them with the tropics.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just a thought...are these relatively new in Ireland.?

Always associated them with the tropics.

If the dispersal map on wiki is to be believed you get them everywhere outside of polar regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Had similar in my house yesterday, I say had because all spiders when spotted are either removed or crushed, they are welcome to stay outside the house just not inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Any idea on this chap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I don't think offering it money is going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Wheety wrote: »
    I don't think offering it money is going to help.

Not for a lap dance anyway:eek:

I have seen wolfies before but they looked a lighter colour, skinnier and more hair on the body. This one had a much larger abdomen and shinier "skin" and the two orangish stripes on the thorax were striking.

So I googled it, 2300 species of wolf spider in the world.

And to any arachnaphobes, I let him go................... to appear in a garden near you soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Had similar in my house yesterday, I say had because all spiders when spotted are either removed or crushed, they are welcome to stay outside the house just not inside.

Removing them is the same as crushing them in a lot of cases as the ones in the house aren't suited to life outdoors.

But they the same treatment in mine. Unless it's a false widow, in which case it is dead every time as they are an invastive species.

• Advertisement
Advertisement