Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calligraphy - high gloss paper

Options
  • 13-05-2019 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I was asked to do some calligraphy on a mass booklet for a first holy communion.
    The pages have a high gloss sheen, the ink doesn't flow onto the page, the paper doesn't take the ink from the nib. I have to repeatedly get the flow going again on standard paper before going back to retry forming letters on the gloss paper.
    Then the ink just sits on the surface until it eventually dries.

Is there a preparation that could be done to the paper before hand?
    I was musing with rubbing with talc and dust off to just lightly abrase the surface, but since it wasn't my book I decided to persevere.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know someone who used to work in a paper mill and still works with paper and inks, let's see what I can find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Maybe give Cregal Art in Galway a call and see if they can suggest some possible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,833 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The 'gloss' is a coating. You probably need a solvent marker like a Sharpie to get it to work. Not all solvents are compatible either...trial and error.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Right - I've been told that if the ink (assuming you're using Indian ink) just sits on top of the paper (but doesn't separate into bubbles), if you leave it be it'll dry and stick to the paper at that stage. However, if it does form bubbles it means the paper is coated with an oily or a greasy film and that kind of ink isn't suitable, but something like an indelible marker (like those used to write on CDs, or a Sharpie, like FrancieBrady mentioned) would work. Just make sure it doesn't come through the other side of the page.

The less elegant alternative is to do your calligraphy on a large sticky label which you could then stick onto the page itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I experimented using different sharpies - wide point and narrow point.
    Don't tell the missus but there are a few pages of her magazine ruined.
    Narrow point is much better, a more defined line, no bleed out, but you still need to let it dry, so one line of writing at a time
    and a 5 minute break in between.
    I also did a little experiment with the talc, I had it in my head so I had to try.
    It was feck all use.

• Advertisement

Maybe try a different brand of permanent markers, they may have different solvents.

I had used what was advertised as calligraphy markers before, it did a reasonable job but
    I'm always left with the notion that it looks kinda like a school poster or just not quite the impact I'm striving for.

I prefer using ink over markers, the finish is crisper and letters a deeper more uniform black.
    I picked up a six pack of ink in a variety of colours for the dip pen, Windsor and Newton inks, going to try them this weekend.

How about using the markers first (for the solvent) and then going over them with the actual inks? It might work.

New Home wrote: »
    How about using the markers first (for the solvent) and then going over them with the actual inks? It might work.

How insightful! So simple - why didn't I thank of that?

I'll let you know how I get on, it'll be after the weekend before I get a chance to try.

Hopefully the solvents won't affect the liquid ink... :o Hope it works out, anyway. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement