Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mytaxi change in terms 5 Euro cancellation fee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Taxis are not confined to the bus lanes though...

No bit when they are available and less congested which they usually are because there's less of us we usually use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

iamtony wrote: »
    Not really, take the quays as a good example. If their were more taxis than private cars the bus lane would be backed up more than the normal lane. Sound reasonable to me. Theres about 10,000 taxis (which are needed) in Dublin roughly and about half a million private cars you can do the maths.

Taxi's aren't on rails, nor are they mandated to stay in the bus lanes. Once the bus lane gets busy, you spill over into the regular lane.

Your point that the bus lane would be busier than other lanes is meaningless and false.

fullstop wrote: »
    So taking people into consideration only works one way does it? **** the customer, it isn't costing them anything :rolleyes:

Closed my account with this shower a fair while back. about 75% of the taxis I booked on it cancelled, but sure I don't matter, it's not costing me an hour's pay.
    I can only speak for myself but I personally go through great lengths to provide an excellent service and I always try my best to help out my passengers. When I take a booking I usually see it through even if that means driving by jobs which could be better if I stopped bit that's just me and I'm not saying there aren't drivers who look after themselves before the customer but I know there is consequences with mytaxi if they choose to do this. It's not financial but they do have measures in place.
    Sometimes I ring my passengers and say I'm stuck in traffic and I'll be 20 minutes. I don't mind keep heading for you but if you want to cancel and try get a closer car I don't mind and stuff like that. I think most drivers are like me and we just get a bad name from a few bad eggs. Maybe I'm wrong but its like all walks of lifx there's good and there's bad.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Taxi's aren't on rails, nor are they mandated to stay in the bus lanes. Once the bus lane gets busy, you spill over into the regular lane.

Your point that the bus lane would be busier than other lanes is meaningless and false.
    ok you win. We are the traffic problem in the city. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

i have been on buses which have taken longer getting down camden street/georges street at 11pm than they take at 5pm, and the reason was the roads were choked with taxis.
    taxis need more regulation. i would asssume that measures which would reduce the prevalence of part time taxi drivers would be welcomed by full time drivers?

One contribution would be removing taxis without customers from bus lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Or removing taxis from bus Lanes. They are no more efficient at moving people around than the private cars which are not allowed use bus Lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Or removing taxis from bus Lanes. They are no more efficient at moving people around than the private cars which are not allowed use bus Lanes.

Beg to differ, a private car would be parking up at the end of a journey a taxi doesn't ( assuming) they either legally rank or begin plying for hire again.

Not to say that some drivers use the bus lane at all times even when not plying for hire, only way around that would be Garda checking but that would just cause congestion in itself as I would assume there are few places you could stop a taxi without compromising a bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Conchir wrote: »
    I think the cancellation fee is going to take a lot of scrutiny away from the last change they're making. How do they decide what is a 'minor change'? Will app users be notified of minor changes, if they don't even have to accept them? Potential serious lack of transparency there, I'd almost be more wary of that than the cancellation fee.

That is absolutely nuts, i think all these latest changes are the final nails in the coffin for me. Good luck mytaxi, I hope the company genuinely crashes and burns.

Ripping the taxi drivers off on %
    Non existent prebook system (starts hailing at collection Time)
    Charging unfair cancellations now
    Ruining a previously good app
    And creating a dog eat dog game for the taxi drivers

I could go on, I won’t. I’m done with them.

Obviously buses are more efficient and better for the planet but taxis are way more efficient than private cars. They probably reduce the amount of cars on the streets of Dublin by 100 thousand daily. Sure these people would be better off in buses but it's not realistic. Especially economically, the productive time lost travelling for business users would cost the country a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Spook_ie wrote: »

Not to say that some drivers use the bus lane at all times even when not plying for hire, only way around that would be Garda checking but that would just cause congestion in itself as I would assume there are few places you could stop a taxi without compromising a bus route.

My suggestion is that taxis could only use a bus lane when an occupied light was lit, and this would only light when the meter was running, and the meter would form the basis of the return to the Revenue.

• Advertisement

My suggestion is that taxis could only use a bus lane when an occupied light was lit, and this would only light when the meter was running, and the meter would form the basis of the return to the Revenue.
    that would basically mean hailing a taxi on a street obsolete. Or would the passenger be obliged to walk across the bus lane to get into the car whole the driver holds up traffic? It would also make traffic in the cities worse.

That is absolutely nuts, i think all these latest changes are the final nails in the coffin for me. Good luck mytaxi, I hope the company genuinely crashes and burns.

Ripping the taxi drivers off on %
    Non existent prebook system (starts hailing at collection Time)
    Charging unfair cancellations now
    Ruining a previously good app
    And creating a dog eat dog game for the taxi drivers

I could do on, I won’t. I’m done with them.

A) 12% isn't that bad, the €2 charge covers a good bit of it and you only effectively pay anything if the fare is above approx €15

B) Prebookings are passed out and accepted by driver's as soon as booked, fails because not enough drivers on shift, so any bookings not already accepted get offered out 30 mins from pre-booked time.

C) Might cut down on wasted journeys thereby helping point B by having taxis e-hailed and then not needed, note there has always been a charge for cancelling pre-booked taxis if cancelled less than 30 mins from pickup.

D) Yeah was a bit of a bollix but it's getting better, main problem seems to be if passenger takes phone out of pocket, presses hail and doesn't check if the app has had time to update their location.

E) Always has been dog eat dog

Yeah but what if your waiting on a taxi to collect you, surely it’s better they get to you quicker.

I agree that they shouldn’t hog the bus lanes all the time though.
    Funnily enough I seen one today on amien street waiting in a que of traffic while the bus lane was empty and he had passengers in the back.

Think you mean unoccupied, I'd have no problem with that, only drawback would be going to a prebooking, but wouldn't be insurmountable as you should have a booking reference of some kind.

Mind you the only time I've had a meter go faulty is with the relay circuit for the light, choice of fix was €100 for meter and €90 for recalibration and reseal or €5 for a manual switch, guess which one won :D

Meter to revenue, again no problem just don't be expecting any discounts even if it were just the odd 20c

Spook_ie wrote: »
    A) 12% isn't that bad, the €2 charge covers a good bit of it and you only effectively pay anything if the fare is above approx €15

B) Prebookings are passed out and accepted by driver's as soon as booked, fails because not enough drivers on shift, so any bookings not already accepted get offered out 30 mins from pre-booked time.

C) Might cut down on wasted journeys thereby helping point B by having taxis e-hailed and then not needed, note there has always been a charge for cancelling pre-booked taxis if cancelled less than 30 mins from pickup.

D) Yeah was a bit of a bollix but it's getting better, main problem seems to be if passenger takes phone out of pocket, presses hail and doesn't check if the app has had time to update their location.

E) Always has been dog eat dog

A. Every taxi I get is in the 30-40 region

B. Pre-booking system kicked in at 6am one morning for me and then “couldn’t find a driver” I missed my train. I had prebooked the night before.

C. Mytaxi should continue to swallow the charge and it should be 2 or 3 euro rather than 5 (at least to begin with)

D. It’s seems to have gotten worse for me, takes 3 or 4 times the amount of time to actually get a taxi on it. Probably less drivers now on it because they are fed up.

E. I’m referring to the system as mentioned above where it gives the drivers a level of rating. Gold, silver, bronze. In terms of how long a job stays on their screen. It seems unfair and they are making a competitive game even more competitive. (I just don’t agree with it, maybe others do. Taxi drivers will have an opinion I’m sure, yourself ?)

I was just looking up the Uber cancellation fee and they are almost identical to what mytaxi is doing. The taxi company I used to work for also charge 10 euro cancellation fee. None of this is anything new and it's justified. Anyways im out for the night, nice chatting folks.

B. Pre-booking system kicked in at 6am one morning for me and then “couldn’t find a driver” I missed my train. I had prebooked the night before.

C. Mytaxi should continue to swallow the charge and it should be 2 or 3 euro rather than 5 (at least to begin with)

D. It’s seems to have gotten worse for me, takes 3 or 4 times the amount of time to actually get a taxi on it. Probably less drivers now on it because they are fed up.

E. I’m referring to the system as mentioned above where it gives the drivers a level of rating. Gold, silver, bronze. In terms of how long a job stays on their screen. It seems unfair and they are making a competitive game even more competitive. (I just don’t agree with it, maybe others do. Taxi drivers will have an opinion I’m sure, yourself ?)

The pre-book system didn't kick in. No drivers accepted your job till 6am it was live on all drivers screen. I'm guessing you live very close to the train station? Or it was a very short job anyway. Decent job are snatched off the driver screen very fast and this is where the gold, silver, bronze thing comes in. Gold drivers will see the pre-booked first, then silver etc

Just looking at the app there. My last 7 trips are.

33 euro
    31 euro
    Driver cancelled
    You cancelled
    Driver cancelled
    Driver cancelled
    Driver cancelled.

Switched number recently so I only have 7 trips in the last 2 months and I rarely used mytaxi anyway because the app pissed me off.

Another thing they done was I got a taxi.
    Fare was 28 euro.
    Driver took payment confirmed. - Grand
    Noticed money never came out of bank.
    Mytaxi went in a day or 2 later to take the money and the money wasn’t there because of a DD went out. This pissed me off because my money is tight as saving for a house. The app is a joke. Rant over
    Apologies.

The pre-book system didn't kick in. No drivers accepted your job till 6am it was live on all drivers screen. I'm guessing you live very close to the train station? Or it was a very short job anyway. Decent job are snatched off the driver screen very fast and this is where the gold, silver, bronze thing comes in. Gold drivers will see the pre-booked first, then silver etc

Blanch to Heuston i filled the destination out in the app as well - at the time the app told me your driver will be there to collect you, or something along those lines.
    It’s brutal.

A) Those are the ones that MyTaxi make any profit on

B) Your booking from the night before would have been showing on the system since you booked, it would have gone URGENT with a priority bonus 30 mins before time, just no one took your job, driver's obviously prefer the jobs where they are likely to get a return job or have even found another prebooking in the first bookings destination area.

C) Why? You order a taxi and don't show you waste the driver's time when he could be picking up an urgent booking like your own.

D) Golden rule of taxi apps, if it's busy on the street, it's busy on the app not many are going to pay 12% if they can get a fare for 0%

E ) I've tried working it out, would seem to be a matter of seconds is the difference between the 4 levels, however, I have had occasions where the job offer has gone not to the nearest car but one much further out, been rejected as too long by the customer and then came to my car, the algorithm still seems to fall flat on its distance calculations.

• Advertisement

Blanch to Heuston i filled the destination out in the app as well - at the time the app told me your driver will be there to collect you, or something along those lines.
    It’s brutal.
    Thats very strange. If I looked at the pre-booked screen right now all the jobs that drivers haven't already taken would be very short and not job you would commit to on advance and you would only take them if they were close and it was due in the next 15 minutes of so.
    Unless you live in a really dodgy area I can't think of any reason a driver wouldn't accept that when you made the booking. Maybe you should contact mytaxi, something doesn't seem right their.

Thats very strange. If I looked at the pre-booked screen right now all the jobs that drivers haven't already taken would be very short and not job you would commit to on advance and you would only take them if they were close and it was due in the next 15 minutes of so.
    Unless you live in a really dodgy area I can't think of any reason a driver wouldn't accept that when you made the booking. Maybe you should contact mytaxi, something doesn't seem right their.

I did at the time. This was literally just a few weeks after mytaxi went live so in fairness maybe teething issues but still it was a disaster for me. Areas not bad. I’d still rather use an app that supports the drivers and the customer better. I have an app called whistle that I used for a bit but it seems to not be very popular unless in the city centre.

It’s brutal.

At this exact moment there are 230 jobs on the prebooking screen varying from 02.50 Friday in D22 to 17.00 on Monday in D20, they'll whittle down over the next while

I did at the time. This was literally just a few weeks after mytaxi went live so in fairness maybe teething issues but still it was a disaster for me. Areas not bad. I’d still rather use an app that supports the drivers and the customer better. I have an app called whistle that I used for a bit but it seems to not be very popular unless in the city centre.
    For the customer I don't think you can get much better than mytaxi. All the other taxi companies have apps now, just search their name in the app store. After mytaxi, lynk is probably next best. Flag is another option and that's Irish owned.

I'm going bed this time I swear:pac:

I'm going bed this time I swear:pac:

Hope you've taken a booking for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The last mytaxi journey I booked, the duvet pulled up and as I went to get in he said he was just going to drop off the passenger sitting in the back.

I'd be really pissed off waiting if I cancelled and was penalised a fiver.

There should be no penalty of you cancel and then request another journey just after.

The last mytaxi journey I booked, the duvet pulled up and as I went to get in he said he was just going to drop off the passenger sitting in the back.

There should be no penalty of you cancel and then request another journey just after.

To be honest you'd deserve to be charged imo, you would have engaged two drivers, the original driver isn't guaranteed to get the second call.

As to the driver (duvet?) showing up with previous fare on board, well in first instance it would be up to that fare if he wanted to share, in the second instance it would be up to you if you wanted to share and in the third instance he shouldn't be doing that anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Welcome to the real world a taxi man before myrmtaxi willing to work and do the calls

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Self centered snowflake generation

Advertisement