Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭launish116

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

launish116 wrote: »

It's maybe a little worrying that he couldn't force himself in front of Bleyendaal and Hanrahan, but his injuries could've contributed to that. I've always rated him though and 10 isn't a position we're blessed with depth in, so it's a good (potentially great) signing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Great news for Ulster. I think he could be really good, if he stays healthy. Good bit of business. Very surprised that Connacht didn't try to get him onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I find this move a bit odd unless mcphilips is leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bill Johnston to Ulster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Heard from some in the know that the feeling is McPhilips has stalled and not kicked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Heard from some in the know that the feeling is McPhilips has stalled and not kicked on.

Considering Curtis seems to be getting the nod ahead of him, and his game time dropping off since McFarland joined, I'm not really surprised. Wasn't there talk of him trying to work out a move back to England at the end of last season as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

We have...burns, lowry and Curtis. Mcphilips if he is staying. I'd be more keen that we try and bring lowry and Curtis through. Another OH would create a bit of a backlog

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    We have...burns, lowry and Curtis. Mcphilips if he is staying. I'd be more keen that we try and bring lowry and Curtis through. Another OH would create a bit of a backlog

Wouldn't be surprised if Curtis is seen more as a Paddy Wallacesque 12. Cave is away, Marshall has settled in to 13, Hume and Addison play at 13 - we're actually a bit short at 12.

Wouldn't be surprised if Curtis is seen more as a Paddy Wallacesque 12. Cave is away, Marshall has settled in to 13, Hume and Addison play at 13 - we're actually a bit short at 12.

Kerp forgetting about Curtis, he always impressed when I saw him. Definitely more a 12. Am i right in thinking he was stood down due to concussion for the season? Aint seen any mention in ages?

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »
    Kerp forgetting about Curtis, he always impressed when I saw him. Definitely more a 12. Am i right in thinking he was stood down due to concussion for the season? Aint seen any mention in ages?

That's right - a couple of bangs to the noggin earlier in the season and they've given him the test if the season off as a cautionary measure, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Johnston was a lot more impressive than McPhillips in the 2016 JWC team. He just kept getting injured. But based on that he would be an upgrade on McPhillips.

McPhillips should try 15 or maybe 12. He's talented, but not consistent enough at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stuart McCloskey won player of the year tonight. Eric O'Sullivan was Young Player of the Year.

Seems fair to me. McCloskey has logged a lot of minutes and has been fantastic throughout the year. Baloucoune has had a great breakout year, but O'Sullivan has been a revelation for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Would Henderson be the favourite for Ulster captain now?

troyzer wrote: »

I would have thought so. Coetzee might be a possibility too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

bilston wrote: »

I would have thought so. Coetzee might be a possibility too.

Is Coetzee a bit of a merc though? He doesn't strike me as the hardcore lifer you hand the captaincy to.

Maybe I'm wrong. I just can't picture him playing in Ulster forever.

Is Coetzee a bit of a merc though? He doesn't strike me as the hardcore lifer you hand the captaincy to.

Dunno about lifer, but he signed a three year contract in Feb, so we won't lose him any time soon. Apparently Ulster sticking by him during his two years injured means a great deal to him.

bilston wrote: »
    Stuart McCloskey won player of the year tonight. Eric O'Sullivan was Young Player of the Year.

Fair to say very tight call on a few of those awards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No non-Irish eleigible player will ever play for a province for the rest of their career unless they're someone like Muller who arrives when he's 30 and announces his retirement at 33.

But that didn't stop Ulster making him captain and it was the right call. Just as it was when they made Pienaar captain no numerous occasions. I don't see why they wouldn't strongly consider Coetzee. He's arguably the best player at the province, captained the Sharks in the past, would be available throughout the 6N and has committed to the province long term.

He's just signed his second 3 year deal until June 2022 with us so I wouldn't call him a mercenary at all.

As a fan I'd rather see Hendy as Captain, but if Coetzee is the best man for the job then it should be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rassie would be mad to omit Coetzee from the springbok squad. Best 8 on the island, imo.

Had a quick skite through our HEC group games last night over a couple of beers - still had them recorded.

Had forgotten that we beat Racing at home without Hendo or Cooney. Forgotten the insane drama of Leicester away, winning 13-14 and running down the clock in the last five minutes. Just how comfortable we looked against the Scarlets. Forgotten how fantastic Will Addison is!

We just look, for the first time in several years, like a team that is being, y'know, coached. What a great season, silverware or no.

Had a quick skite through our HEC group games last night over a couple of beers - still had them recorded.

Had forgotten that we beat Racing at home without Hendo or Cooney. Forgotten the insane drama of Leicester away, winning 13-14 and running down the clock in the last five minutes. Just how comfortable we looked against the Scarlets. Forgotten how fantastic Will Addison is!

We just look, for the first time in several years, like a team that is being, y'know, coached. What a great season, silverware or no.

The great thing is I think we will be even better next season...if key players stay fit.

Plus Roddy Grant will bring fresh ideas to the forwards too.

One worry I have is that I can see Marcel Coetzee getting a call up to the SA WC squad...listen you can't deny him it if the call comes, but it will probably mean him playing in the Rugby championship in July, so he won't get much chance to rest up anytime soon.

Yea I was thinking that a call-up could be possible and I'd be delighted for him, but from an Ulster perspective I'm hoping that SA don't want to rock the boat too much so close to the world cup.

What's Roddy Grant's reputation like?

We'll just send out Marcus Rea... Nah, obviously Coetzee would be a huge loss. He really started to assert himself in the last third of the season. But I couldn't begrudge him, and he does deserve it.

Also noticed Stockdale diving in with the ball in both hands for his HEC tries...

Think Roddy Grant has been part of the overall improvement in Edinburgh, but McFarland has already had a huge effect. Is Dundon being replaced? Hopefully Carter can help the lineout generally. Even watching those games last night, it's obvious that the lineout is, while significantly better, not as impressive an improvement as those made to our scrum, maul, maul defence and restart receptions.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The bokke are actually pretty stacked in the back row though... Even as good as coetzee is playing.

Kolisi, de toit, vermullen, Loue, whiteley, notshe, the du preez twins.. And even locks who can play in the back row like mostert and snyman.

Hopefully for ulster he's deemed surplus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭blackdog1

sydthebeat wrote:
    Kolisi, de toit, vermullen, Loue, whiteley, notshe, the du preez twins.. And even locks who can play in the back row like mostert and snyman.

Hes a better back row than any of them with the exception of vermeulen. He's like louw but more physical.

• Advertisement

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Hes a better back row than any of them with the exception of vermeulen. He's like louw but more physical.

Would have him over Vermeulen!

Advertisement