Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to get marriage certificate?

• 11-04-2019 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I will be getting married in the registry office and I understand the registrar will register the marriage themselves. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long after the wedding date I can then apply for a marriage certificate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

hanaimai wrote: »
    I will be getting married in the registry office and I understand the registrar will register the marriage themselves. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long after the wedding date I can then apply for a marriage certificate?

Are you sure you don't have to register the marriage and then get a marriage cert? Is your registrar doing it for you?

We signed all on the day and then had to return the certificate I think in a month. I went in one lunch and then paid to get our license.

You have to apply for a licence at least 3 months in advance. Bring that with you on the day for all to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

If you get married in the registry office, the registrar registers it for you, no need for you to do anything afterwards.

I think we requested our cert about a week after or so, but you should probably ask them directly about this. If you haven't had your 3-month notice meeting yet, just ask during that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We took the green book that gets signed at the ceremony (non-HSE) into the office the Monday after and they gave me the very straight away (for €20 extra).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Thanks all, we had our notification appointment already but I didn't think to ask at the time. Looks like it shouldn't take too long!

On the registration, my understanding was that it goes like miezekatze says above when you get married in the registry office. If you get married elsewhere you have to do it yourself.

Advertisement