Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

19 FT larch boat leaking!

• 10-04-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,
    As the title suggests, i have a 19ft larch open boat that is leaking i purchased the boat a few weeks ago, with the intention of using it to fish the mayfly and taking it up after the summer and repainting it

The paint work isnt so bad at the min tbh, and all the timber appears solid

anyway its leaking between 2 boards and another board is split although this seems to have taken up and sealed itself,
    whats the best course of attack?
    I've been told to sink it, and let it take up for a week under water,
    any suggestions are welcome! (other than buy a fiberglass boat!)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Would caulking it with cotton do anything? If the boats been out of the water a while the wood can shrink and joints open up. Also try rubbing a bar of soap or Vaseline over the making area it stops the water coming in till the wood takes up

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

neris wrote: »
    Would caulking it with cotton do anything? If the boats been out of the water a while the wood can shrink and joints open up. Also try rubbing a bar of soap or Vaseline over the making area it stops the water coming in till the wood takes up

It's clinker so don't think you can caulk it,
    Didn't know you could use soap, will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

It's clinker so don't think you can caulk it,
    Didn't know you could use soap, will try that.

If where it's taking water is fairly low then you could fill the boat with water just above that point. You may need to have a hose going into the boat with a slow drip coming from it to compensate for the water being lost. In days gone by we used fill the bigger cracks with putty and then put the hose into the boat and after a few days everything was sealed. Is the boat in the water or ashore?

nokiatom wrote: »
    If where it's taking water is fairly low then you could fill the boat with water just above that point. You may need to have a hose going into the boat with a slow drip coming from it to compensate for the water being lost. In days gone by we used fill the bigger cracks with putty and then put the hose into the boat and after a few days everything was sealed. Is the boat in the water or ashore?

Its on the lake at the min its between boards seems to be the biggest problem at the min

can you post a photo of the area its coming in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I've been told to sink it, and let it take up for a week under water...

If the boat has been out of the water for a while the planks will have shrunk a little (thus the leaks).

When I was sea scouts we had a couple of clinker boats when they went in the water every spring, they leaked like sieves and would partially sink on the moorings. After a week or so, they would bailed out and no more leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd sink it they say a boat needs 3 tides to swell up but let it be for a week then bail it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Roeboats

Sink it as others have said and see how it goes. If after a week it still leaks a bit you can use tallow or Frytex in the laps. The tallow won't dissolve in the water and is stiffer than vaseline. I wouldn't encourage using cotton and/or some modern silicon/polyurethane caulk. Cotton could make the gap wider and the modern stuff, if it sticks, won't be easy to get out.
    Happy woody boating.

I sunk it during the weekend will leave it alone for a week and see how it goes, will report back as soon as refloat it and see how we go!

Took the boat out of wet dock on Sunday morning, I fished out of it all day Sunday I’d an auto bilge pump in it it only cut in once on Sunday, so I suppose that could be classed as water tight?

• Advertisement

Took the boat out of wet dock on Sunday morning, I fished out of it all day Sunday I’d an auto bilge pump in it it only cut in once on Sunday, so I suppose that could be classed as water tight?

Hopefully that solved the problem

Advertisement