Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Society weekend away advice/recommendations

Options
  • 10-04-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

We are just back from a great golf society weekend in which we played Powerscourt East (Saturday) and West (Sunday) and stayed in the Summerhill hotel. About 28 golfers. 1 night b&b and 3 course dinner, 2 games and prizes for €185.
    I am society captain next year and have a tough one to follow.

Can anyone recommend a destination no more than 2 hrs from Kilkenny for a similiar weekend? We played Hedford/Dromoland in the last 2 outings. We play singles Satuday and team event Sunday (sore heads).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Glasson, Co Westmeath or Dundrum House, Co Tipp. Been here over the last few years on society outings. Decent courses and adequate accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Carton House has two very solid courses and a hotel with all the amenities you would have at Powerscourt.

Another few more options could be:
    Druid's Glen / Druid's Heath
    Fota Island, which had 3 courses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Carton House has two very solid courses and a hotel with all the amenities you would have at Powerscourt.

Another few more options could be:
    Druid's Glen / Druid's Heath
    Fota Island, which had 3 courses

Fota is a 27hole complex and they are rather cheeky with their 3 courses statement as that infers 54holes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Fota is a 27hole complex and they are rather cheeky with their 3 courses statement as that infers 54holes

I haven't played Fota myself, that is quite cheeky to infer 3 courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I'm playing Esker Hills this weekend with 20 plus lads, The deal we got is 2 nights B&B 3 golf 3 days buggies and 3 Dinners (in clubhouse after round) Accomodation is by a B&B (not hotel) but it's in self contained bungalows at rere of property and they can't do enough for you...200 euro,it's 400 metres or so from club and they even ferry you up to clubhouse if you are going drinking..Tullamore is taxi ride away and there is plenty going on there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Golfhead65 wrote:
    I'm playing Esker Hills this weekend with 20 plus lads, The deal we got is 2 nights B&B 3 golf 3 days buggies and 3 Dinners (in clubhouse after round) Accomodation is by a B&B (not hotel) but it's in self contained bungalows at rere of property and they can't do enough for you...200 euro,it's 400 metres or so from club and they even ferry you up to clubhouse if you are going drinking..Tullamore is taxi ride away and there is plenty going on there..

Esker Hills isn't a patch on any of the other courses mentioned here so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    2 nights B&B
    3 golf
    3 days buggies
    and 3 Dinners
    200 euro

Great bang for buck! Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Best trips my society has enjoyed, and all very reasonable for society pricing.

Sligo: Strandhill and Rosses point. You can literally stagger across the road to Rosses if you stay in Yeats Hotel.

Wicklow: Macreddin and Woodenbridge. You’re at the mercy of a lively hotel bar for entertainment but you can stagger across the road from Woodenbridge hotel to the golf course.

Donegal: Narin and Murvagh. I’d recommend staying in Donegal Town, but you’ll have a 6 mile drive the next morning.

Cavan: Slieve Russell and Farnham. Taxi into town from Farnham if staying in Cavan. Not a golf society hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

First Up wrote: »
    Esker Hills isn't a patch on any of the other courses mentioned here so far.

I'm not rating the courses, I'm only giving him an option, Rating of courses is one man's/women's opinion

Golfhead65 wrote:
    I'm not rating the courses, I'm only giving him an option, Rating of courses is one man's/women's opinion

You can offer your opinion after you've tried it if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

slave1 wrote: »

It’s a 45 hole resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Golfhead65 wrote: »

That's a fantastic deal. Enjoy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I have had great sucess with these offers;
    https://www.golfdigestoffers.ie/browse/play-stay#/2
    Glasson, Co Westmeath or Dundrum House, Co Tipp
    Add Ballykisteen to these; on site lodges are well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

morrga wrote: »
    It’s a 45 hole resort.

45 hole... you sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

So I am down to three options for the society weekend. Included in all below is 1 night B&B (Saturday night), 3 course dinner and 1 game of golf all for between €115-€130. All courses offer a second game for around €25-€35 but we would like to choose a second course.

I think Tulfarris (Hotel), Moyvalley (Hotel) and New Forest (Nice Lodges - Manor House for food/drinks) are about the same quality? So which has the best second course close by?

Tulfarris - Blessington Lakes (9 holes?), Craddockstown, Rathsallagh, Newbridge close by.
    Moyvalley - Edenderry, Rathcore, Kilcock and Millicent courses close by.
    New Forest - Esker Hills and Tullamore close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Jesper wrote: »
    So I am down to three options for the society weekend. Included in all below is 1 night B&B (Saturday night), 3 course dinner and 1 game of golf all for between €115-€130. All courses offer a second game for around €25-€35 but we would like to choose a second course.

I think Tulfarris (Hotel), Moyvalley (Hotel) and New Forest (Nice Lodges - Manor House for food/drinks) are about the same quality? So which has the best second course close by?

Tulfarris - Blessington Lakes (9 holes?), Craddockstown, Rathsallagh, Newbridge close by.

I'd personally be leaning towards the New Forest option. And of those two I'd probably go with tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Jesper wrote: »

A Tulfarris-Rathsallagh combo would be pretty nice if you get decent weather. 2 beautiful parkland courses in spectacular settings (only slight hyperbole here :))

I’ve played them all and not only is Rathsallagh the best second course, it’s simply the best of all of them so I would vote Tulfarris and Rathsallagh

And New Forest / Tullamore in second

Heading to play Bunclody and Coolatin in a few weeks’ time. Looking forward to it immensely.

Staying in Bunclody.

If anyone knows the area, where would be the nearest nightclub, for slightly older men who behave like teenagers, rather than one for actual teenagers.?

• Advertisement

thewobbler wrote:
    Staying in Bunclody.

Where?

Where?

Clody Lodge

thewobbler wrote:
    Clody Lodge

Thanks. Good to see there is somewhere. Bunclody didn't have many options after the Millrace closed.

Tulfarris-Rathsallagh combo would be my pick of that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Tulfarris, Moyvalley New Forest

Your biggest issue is, If the entertainment provided isnt good enough. All these places are in the middle of nowhere, and so you are pushing it getting taxi/shuttle out the nightlife.

Make it a condition of the booking that bar staff are available when needed.
    I have been caught with this issue before, and some of the above mentioned places are known for it. In fairness to New Forest, they offered to lay on a shuttle service to the nearest town when we inquired.

whizbang wrote:
    Make it a condition of the booking that bar staff are available when needed. I have been caught with this issue before, and some of the above mentioned places are known for it. In fairness to New Forest, they offered to lay on a shuttle service to the nearest town when we inquired.

You can stay in the houses at New Forest. They do a nice dinner too

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

You can stay in the houses at New Forest. They do a nice dinner too

The 'Big House' looked nice. But after dinner is there a place to stay and have a barrel of drink within the site or a short walk? A bit of music would be perfect!

Jesper wrote:
    The 'Big House' looked nice. But after dinner is there a place to stay and have a barrel of drink within the site or a short walk? A bit of music would be perfect!

There's a bar as well as restaurant in the house. I think you'd have to bring your own music.

Bunclody is very good course, particularly the back 9. Bunkers just better than passable but the rest of it in great condition. Some clubhouse, and what a sprawling estate; it really does feel like you’re on holiday. Reminiscent of Farnham Estate, Headfort New and Moyvalley in places.

Coollattin is a proper hidden gem. An old style parkland where shaping shots into blind, tree-lined valleys is the order of the day. Reminded me of Malone, Kilkeel and Dundalk in places. Especially Kilkeel, with the undulations and blindness.

There was a nice contrast in the courses. Bunclody is clearly the more eye catching and memorable course, and has some terrific driving holes. But if I lived in that part of the world I think I’d prefer to test myself against the more subtle challenges of Coollattin on a regular basis.

Clody Lodge was very good accommodation, right in the middle of the town and only 100 yards from Bunclody’s mile long driveway.

• Advertisement

thewobbler wrote: »
    Bunclody is very good course, particularly the back 9. Bunkers just better than passable but the rest of it in great condition. Some clubhouse, and what a sprawling estate; it really does feel like you’re on holiday. Reminiscent of Farnham Estate, Headfort New and Moyvalley in places.

Coollattin is a proper hidden gem. An old style parkland where shaping shots into blind, tree-lined valleys is the order of the day. Reminded me of Malone, Kilkeel and Dundalk in places. Especially Kilkeel, with the undulations and blindness.

There was a nice contrast in the courses. Bunclody is clearly the more eye catching and memorable course, and has some terrific driving holes. But if I lived in that part of the world I think I’d prefer to test myself against the more subtle challenges of Coollattin on a regular basis.

Clody Lodge was very good accommodation, right in the middle of the town and only 100 yards from Bunclody’s mile long driveway.

Good to know there is a viable alternative to replace the much missed Millrace.

Coollattin is a very nice course. However the clubhouse is pretty primitive from what I remember so you would need to dine elsewhere.

Advertisement