Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My child is being bullied by a friend

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Great to see so many hard men in here giving great advice and there know how on how to deal with bullies...
    "just tell them to hit them back harder" kind of advice.

Well that may have worked for you and some other kids, but do you know what? Every kid is different and as much as you may tell some kids to fight back or punch harder It may not just be in them to do that, and all you are doing is making the situation worse for them.

I do agree that parents can't always be there to fight there battles all the time as they grow older, but if bullying is extreme enough then sometimes there needs to be some sort of intervention.

I think the issue is not that people are assuming that all kids are the same, and equally capable of physically standing up for themselves. We remember from our own school times and friends that it is not so.

There is no one-size-fits-all.

Surely the parent knows the child though ? And if a parent knows from their own experience (of having been bullied themselves, but discovering their self-confidence in standing up for themselves, for example) that there is value in being assertive, then that is at least as valid as running to the school, or the other parent, or whatever.

A bully getting a taste of their own medicine - it ain't the end of civilisation.

Your final statement, I wholeheartedly agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think it really does depend on the child.
    I have a female relative who was badly bullied at school and it got to the point it was making her phisically sick, she was scared to go to school and was very depressed over it.
    I don't think any advice on assertiveness or anything like that was really going to help, but lucky enough when the school got involved they dealt with it, they talked to everyone involved and she was moved class.
    She is doing much better now and as far as I know hasn't had any more bullying problems.

Advertisement