Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transferring from a level 6 to a level 8

• 05-04-2019 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I picked Applied Biology in TU Tallaght last year through the vacant placements on the CAO and, to be honest, I dont mind the college, and ive made a tone of friends. however, the course isnt for me. I never applied to susi so I paid in full. no one in my family understands the issue that I have since most of them never continued to college and went straight to work so me in an IT turned University is a serious deal. my parents always tell me that I should have done an apprenticeship in the first place since the majority of my family work in the construction industry, including engineering. I don't want to do engineering. I always wanted to do something in Physics and Astronomy, but everyone thinks that ill struggle with this even though I am doing well in it, and is one of my top subject next to maths.

I want to transfer to Maynooth University and do Astrophysics there. The problem is my grades in the level 6 biology. I have to repeat exams in August and a transfer form is due by July. I spoken to my physics lecturer and he said that his son transferred from one course to another, but had to take on extra module in exchange for his failed grades from his previous course. I wonder if I can do the same, saving me from having to repeat the exams in August. Im worried that I wont get a place for another year and I dont want to go back and do Biology, which is one of my worst subject. I am job searching but the between my timetable, travelling and studying I simply am stuck for time. I live near Maynooth and it takes me an 1.5 hour to get to Tallaght. My parents dont understand the whole system and I always wanted a masters in Astrophysics, but the would just handwave me once I get a degree in a level 6 Higher Cert. I had a terrible time in secondary that costed me my place in Maynooth and now im doing the one thing I tried to avoid. What makes it worse for me is how I am treated by everyone from my family and school, since I have aspergers, im getting way too much praise for doing a level 6. I know others would prefer the progressive route, but if you were in my shoes and you tried putting in so much time into studying to avoid an extra year, youd understand.

Are there any other alternatives as to getting into Maynooth for next year. I don't want to sit another year in Biology, and im worried that once I do that, I get my higher cert and my parents will force me to get a job in an area that I dont like. And then after that I would be in my late 20's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

You have opened several threads with a similar query over the past few months and yet are unsure how to proceed. The simple answer is to contact the Experimental Physics department at Maynooth. Ask to make an appointment with one of the lecturers involved in Astrophysics and see if the course suits you and if you have a suitable maths background.

There was an open day there at the weekend but I only saw your post today.

You need to contact Maynooth directly to answer your specific query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

You need to contact Maynooth directly to answer your specific query.

Hey I was only out at Maynooth two weeks ago and you will not meet nicer people than Dan and Emma out in the Physics Department. They have a fantastic understanding of Autism and I found the pair of them so helpful.

You should also meet Michael McGuire Adult education and Ger Gallagher is an amazing disabilities officer.

Advertisement