Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How/Where to get started in Tennis?

Options
  • 23-01-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've never played Tennis before so I am complete beginner.
    Ideally I would love to play 2-3 times a week, I have plenty of time on workdays from 4 PM - 11 PM so looking for something fun and healthy to get into.

What or where do you get started in Tennis in Dublin?
    How much would I be looking at to get coach to get started? How do people find partners to play with?

Any general info/tips on best approach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't where you are in Dublin but you would need to go to a tennis club and get some tennis lessons. Most clubs cater for beginners and depending on your finances you can get individual coaching or group coaching. Also most clubs run a club night were all members of the club no matter what level they are come down to play some fun tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭traco

As said find a local club and join. If you tell us where you are we could direct better.

Some clubs offer beginner group lessons so you could make friends with them and develop your game. The tennis clubs are very social so that's the best option for social tennis and starting. Private lessons from a certified coach - €40 per hour and up as a guide.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Don't go too hard on lessons. As an adult it's not as effective.

I found the best way was to learn from youtube/TV and just figure it out on the court.

Beginner lessons would be great for meeting other people of a similar level and arranging games. If you can get enough people I would suggest organising a doubles evening of 8 people once or twice a week. Rotating teams and the slower pace will make for a great way to find your feet and level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Thanks for suggestions.

I am based in Tallaght.

I've seen some coaches around, there seems to be Level 1-3 and each different price.
    Would it make sense for me as a beginner to pay more to get Level 3 coach rather than Pay less and get Level 1 coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

arleitiss wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions.

I am based in Tallaght.

I've seen some coaches around, there seems to be Level 1-3 and each different price.
    Would it make sense for me as a beginner to pay more to get Level 3 coach rather than Pay less and get Level 1 coach?

No absolutely not. It’s a long and boring story but the level does not necessarily mean they are better. And in the cases it does mean they are better a lot of them won’t want to teach or give much thought to a beginner adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I would suggest you find the closest clubs to you.
    I think that would be Templeouge LTC. That is a really good club with loads of members so will have beginner groups and activities.
    Terenure tennis club might be next closest.

Contact them and ask about membership or if there are any group lessons available without membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

arleitiss wrote: »
    Level doesn't make a difference. There are many level 1 coaches who are much better than a lot of the level 2 & 3 coaches, they just never seen a need to pay more money to do the extra tests, many of which have nothing to do with coaching ability. Just find a coach that you trust and works well for you.

Advertisement