Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Big thing I've noticed in my own game is how well I'm shooting over 12 holes but in an 18 hole round I often seem to drop-off.

Lot of it would come down to energy/diet on-the-course. Must check some things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

callaway92 wrote: »
    Big thing I've noticed in my own game is how well I'm shooting over 12 holes but in an 18 hole round I often seem to drop-off.

Lot of it would come down to energy/diet on-the-course. Must check some things out.

That'll be a big thing too. Think getting with food beforehand has helped lately, just need to think bout on course too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mushy wrote: »
    That'll be a big thing too. Think getting with food beforehand has helped lately, just need to think bout on course too

I also find doing a proper warm-up (up 45 mins before round starts) plays a big part.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

28 points (17 thru 7) on a very windy links today. 35 got it done with a lot on NRs.

Had a putt hit the flagstick very close to centre and not drop. It was carrying a lot of pace so hard to know if it would have dropped without the flagstick in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

41 pts off 21. drove the ball well bar one hole couple of suspect bunker shots.
    1 Birdie
    7 Pars (inc index 1&3)
    6 Bogies ( index 2)
    1 Double
    3 scratches

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

29 off 12 holes yesterday. Sorted now for the winter league. Striking the ball really well, which is nice. Only issue was my driving wasn't great. Hitting them well, but not very accurate, and it cost me a few shots. Some of my rescue shots were good though, and i'm taking the safe shot most of the time, which always seems like the right idea (even if the dramatic, through the trees and around the bend shots seem like a good idea at the time.

No scratches, no double bogeys, and 2 birdies. Was around an inch away from my first eagle. Approach on the 15th was my favourite...157 yards into a really strong wind, to 4 feet. Sinking that putt felt good :)

Will be interesting to go back to 18. The back 9 are much tougher, with the two toughest holes on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Played pretty well at the weekend, 22 points for 9 holes.

2 birds
    3 pars
    4 bogeys

Driving was ok, but a few pulled draws. Struck hybrids & irons very well & chipping and putting was solid (No 3putts)

Had changed over to a scotty for a month or so, switched back to my 2-ball and felt like it made a difference.

Worst part of my game was mid-range pitching, from around 60-80 yards. Hit a good few from that distance on the range & struck them very well, but couldn't find the same form on the course.

Missed a win by a point, but at least my golf feels like it's in a good place

30 points for 14 holes yesterday, to continue the solid golf of the last couple of weeks.

Still playing off a slightly shortened course & with placing but playing some fairly decent stuff on a fairly windy day with a 2 club wind at times.

Had 3 lip out putts & 1 snakey downhill putt that hung over the edge of the hole but wouldn't drop, so could have been a few better on another day.

Struggled with up & downs on the day too.

But finished with a great birdie on a tough finishing hole.

Just need to carry some form over to the boards outing next weekend hopefully :D

23 points for 12 holes yesterday. For the most part hit the ball well, just a few small stupid moments cost a score. Tough in big winds, but definitely getting used to that side of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mushy wrote: »
    23 points for 12 holes yesterday. For the most part hit the ball well, just a few small stupid moments cost a score. Tough in big winds, but definitely getting used to that side of the game

I was out yest aswell (just after 9, wind was mad wasn't it)… 20 points for me. in my head I played ok but looking back not so much :)

4 putted the 6th (par 3) for a double
    double on the 12th (par 3) I clubbed up by 2 but was still miles short & in the water
    triple on 13th (par5) after a great drive up to the bunkers on the left

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

23 for 12 for me as well. Started nice with a birdie, but double bogied the 3rd after being on the green in two. My putt rolled right off the back of the green, and i duffed my chip back on. Played ok after that, till the last two holes which i scratched. Very windy, which was tough, but i enjoyed it for the most part (till the last two :mad:)

I was out yest aswell (just after 9, wind was mad wasn't it)… 20 points for me. in my head I played ok but looking back not so much :)

4 putted the 6th (par 3) for a double
    double on the 12th (par 3) I clubbed up by 2 but was still miles short & in the water
    triple on 13th (par5) after a great drive up to the bunkers on the left

Just before 9 myself.

Scratch on 12, wind just played havoc there although suffer shot from drop zone was hilarious/disaster. Few poor chips in 11 And 18 then cost me shots, will know not to do them again

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Would have scored 20 points on my round Sunday, a poor showing but a very challenging day in the wind. I had a couple balls go missing when they should have been easy to find, drives a few yards off the fairway that disappeared. Still was chipping and putting poorly, so no one to blame but myself.

I am not so sure one or two of my balls were not picked up by a guy walking around the course. I spotted him a couple times walking around with just a wedge in hand, he did not look to be actually playing but more ball hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

First round of the year - 13 holes-25 points,

Happy with that. Drove the ball well (70% FIR), irons ok - winter work showing improvement.
    Struggled with putting, but greens not running great after winter.

Biggest area that needs improvement for me is short game, (Had 1 up & down) just not getting the ball close enough.
    I'll get lessons on that aspect once daylight improves

32 points for 14 holes, very solid round but probably should have had another point or 2.

Learning to play in high wind is great craic, hasn't hampered too much scoring anyway. Actually hitting the driver and hybrid well makes such a huge difference, can't wait to see how well it goes come summer time

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

4 scratches and 29 points in the wind this morning. I love Links golf but f**k me it can beat you up at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

27 points for 12 holes this morning. Won my division. Got a 2 also and took the money off my partners.
    Par, birdie, par finish for 10 points put a real gloss on the round.

Played in the Winter League final at my home club.

We qualified in 9th out of 10 places, just scraping in on the last weekend.

It's a strange format for the final. The top 5 golfers from each team play in a match play. I was top scorer from the team in 9th, so played the 5th best scorer from team in 2nd. It's match play, but you have to finish the full 18 holes as the total match scores determine the winning team.

I was taking on an 18 handicap, so was giving up 6 shots on the day.

I started fast though winning both opening holes, both conceded without having to hole out.

I managed to keep going & scoring well. In a normal match play I would have won 6&5. Didn't do anything spectacularly well, but played steady golf making nothing worse than bogey on the opening 13 holes.

The run in has some higher indices though, and I may have unconsciously took the foot off the pedal. I was giving up shots on 3 of the last 5 holes, and he won all of them, 2 with pars, so would have needed a birdie for a half. A 3 putt cost me another hole.

So finished the match 2 up. Overall our team finished +10 on the day & won the event so was a pleasant surprise given we barely scraped into the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

2 rounds in past 2 weeks.

Played a very short Glashedy, Ballyliffin. +3 through 12. Lost ball and double bogey on 18 after hitting middle of fairway!
    32 points of 6

Home course, +5 through 3. finished +11 for 31 points.

Got fitted for new wedges last week (RTX4), fitter said i could benefit from maybe having a shorter shaft on irons so I started to grip down slightly yesterday. some decent results!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played a few rounds worth mentioning lately

32 Points for 14 Holes
    2 Dbls, 8Bogies,3 Pars and 1 Birdie

38 Points for 18 Holes
    1 scratch,3 doubles,8 bogies and 6 Pars

Today's was the best result in Luttrellstown Open
    41 Points for 18 Holes
    1 Scratch,2 Doubles,6 Bogies and 8 Pars

Starting lessons again soon so looking forward to golf again this year.

• Advertisement

19 points for 14 holes. The fun part....didn't even play too poorly. The wind was savage, made everything very difficult, ball was shaking on putts, so not too disappointed really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

27 points for 12 holes this morning. Won my division. Got a 2 also and took the money off my partners.
    Par, birdie, par finish for 10 points put a real gloss on the round.

29 points for 12 holes yesterday after scratching my first.
    2nd overall on countback.
    Also, 2nd overall in Spring League.

Good follow-up to last week's win. Playing really consistently now. Roll on the 18-hole comps next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Anyone a member of luttrellstown? Can't find the results of the comp I played, rang to find out and was supposed to get a call back but nada.

Its no big deal just like to see if I won or what won on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Things finally came together today. After terrible round including a 22 at Portmarnock, I managed 43 Points off 20 today in Stableford comp.

That's the 90 properly broken for the first time with a very consistent 85.

I was over the moon. 23 points on front nine that playing partner kept to himself at my request and then just plugged away with mainly 2 pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

pakman wrote: »
    Things finally came together today. After terrible round including a 22 at Portmarnock, I managed 43 Points off 20 today in Stableford comp.

I was over the moon. 23 points on front nine that playing partner kept to himself at my request and then just plugged away with mainly 2 pointers.

Well done Pakman, Early fav for Athy

Today was the sublime with the shocking, and at that it was mostly the latter! But Christ hitting 3 wood into the wind on what would normally be an 8 iron, and still coming up short, shows how strong the wind was. Deciding an hour before tee time that I would actually play didn't help, no prep for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

78 gross, 30pts nett around Lucan GC today.

Helluva a day weatherwise, not a terrible score but really ought to have been better.

Poor bogies on the 1st two holes after serviceable drives was disappointing but hit a sand wedge to 6 inches on the par 3 4th to offset some of the damage. Then got away with murder to par the 5th and happy to make another at 6, given both holes were back into a fairly ferocious wind.
    Hit a great shot to par 3 7th, even though I missed the putt, and 2 great shots to 8, where I made a good 4. Lipped out for a birdie on 9 but was very content with +1 after 9.
    Followed that with a good par on 10 after a wild approach, then hit a 6 iron to 13ft on the par 3 11th. Left the putt inches short dead centre, which unfortunately signalled the end of the respectable spell.

Hit a good drive on 12 but wound up just left of the fairway, and as anyone who has played that hole will know, if youre not on the fairway, youre probably blocked out. And i was. Still shouldve done better with my 2nd, a chip and run 9 iron but ended up with a 6 footer for par, which I missed. Very poor drive off 13 and attemped a miracle 2nd shot which was unnecessarily risky in retrospect. Didnt come off and scratched the hole. Parred 14 and 15, luckily as respective drives were both awful.

Another poor effort on 16 into the greenside bunker. With a leadening sky approaching, I gimped that one out to about 7ft, then ducked for cover as the apocalypse descended! Well, not exactly, but haymaker of a blizzard nonetheless. Eventually re emerged to have a stab at the par, but hands were frozen and was putting through ice, even with a makeshift squeegien effort. No dice. Then made an absolute horlocks of 17, before a subdued par on 18.

Disappointing overall, bad weather just got to me at the end. Oh well, try again next wk!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

pakman wrote: »

Fair play - great win. Is it qualifying yet, did you get a cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is very hard to follow a Benicetomonty post, about his round.

But I love an impossible challenge. :)

Perhaps enough has been posted about St Andrews. But it was a nice building block for the season to come.

I've decided to try an approach suggested by Rotella and fool myself I'm going to be a good golfer this year (I'm paraphrasing Bob there).

I'm targeting an under par round in competition this year. I have no real right to target that , I have a fairly inconsistent swing. But when all the stars align , I hit almost all the greens in regulation and if you do that - it doesn't seem a daft target.

Anyway , on the 2nd day over in St Andrews we played Jubilee. From the first hole after making an up and down from the sand. I just knew that it was going to be a good day. The course the weather was just perfect for me, conditions as easy as it get on a links.

Was playing with Tiger and Break 80 here , and on 2nd hole (could have been drink), I said something I would never say. "Tiger I'm going to play a savage round today".

On the 4th 5th and 6th I had 3 Birdies in a row. I hadn't done this in a while and being 2 under par was a strange feeling. There is a massive psychology to being under par, it just gets the heart pumping , the head thinking "this is the day".

The course was easy enough on the day - but there is danger if you put the ball anywhere off line. At the turn I started to play even better and basically had a bird chance on 8/9/10/11/12. I had the ball on a string to be honest.

I had a real chance of having a bizarre low round, but didn't take them chances. I think after playing 12 as good as I will ever play golf and another bird - the pressure got to me a little, I was 1 under at that tee box. To be honest should have been 2 or 3 shots lower.

I had a couple of bad swings on 13 / 14 and 15. It just seemed that OTT swing had come back under pressure and I was finding it hard to get out of it. On 16 I got it back but just didn't know hole and first real blind and unknown hole on course. I ended with a double because I was short and you would never be short if you played hole again.

I was delighted how I finished, 17 is a 211 yard par 3 , 4 iron and I holed the putt just on edge of green. Then played the last fairly perfect.

I feel the day was a big step. I know I have a swing flaw that comes in , but an under par round did not feel out of range. I had a bad moment , but got out of it. I hit the driver amazing. I hit so many greens and made 5 birdies.

I came away from the round - knowing there is a bit more in me.

It didn't feel like something I could not do again.

Interesting times.

You practice, you play the games to get to them moments. I enjoyed the night out , too much.

I don't think I'll post about the round the next day :D

Score (75 (+3))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

davegilly wrote: »
    Fair play - great win. Is it qualifying yet, did you get a cut?

Cheers. No was a non-qualifier unfortunately. Would love to get below 18 and that would have done it I think. I'll just have to do it again I suppose :)

Advertisement