Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

• 18-10-2018 3:39pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6)

The last thread was nearing the 10k post limit where boards explodes so here's part 6.

Usual rules apply. Read the forum charter if you havent, no fighter bashing or allegations of PED's etc.

Keep it civil at all times!

Any name-calling, trolling, baiting, or being a general ass-hat will earn you a ban from the thread and possibly the forum.
    If you have an issue with a post, please use the report post function.

Any off topic posts will be deleted.
    Any "Do you even train Bro?" or "I'm an mma fan longer than you" type posts are not permitted either. They only make you look like a fool and as a result, everyone hates you. Yes everyone.

Fighter bashing is against the charter - no name calling and derogatory terms..

Previous thread here

12/12/18 Please read the following before replying:
    Steve wrote: »
    OK, thread re-opened on the following condition:

NO discussion of the alleged 'incident' will be permitted. There is an ongoing Garda investigation (reported on a mainstream news site) but that's as far as it has got.

Any discussion will lead to this being closed and action taken against those who discussed it.

If the situation changes, this condition will be reviewed / relaxed as appropriate.

Updated 13/01/2019
    Charter amended to make it very clear - lose the stupid names like McTapper etc. Shows someone to be nothing but an immature troll out to goad others..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mcnugget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The thing about McGregor's style of performance/media personality is it's a constant attempt for the soundbite - the one liner. The short video for this generation - the short clip for Instagram. So he's just going and going and hoping for something to pop out that will go viral. And that just leads to constant overreaching and a lot of cringe. But if gets two moments or one moment of a 9 second viral clip - who the fook is that guy - he's on a winner in terms of promotion. So if you sit down to watch a chunk of presser there's a lot of nonsense to be sat through...

• He'll never win another 5 round fight in the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The thing about McGregor's style of performance/media personality is it's a constant attempt for the soundbite - the one liner. The short video for this generation - the short clip for Instagram. So he's just going and going and hoping for something to pop out that will go viral. And that just leads to constant overreaching and a lot of cringe. But if gets two moments or one moment of a 9 second viral clip - who the fook is that guy - he's on a winner in terms of promotion. So if you sit down to watch a chunk of presser there's a lot of nonsense to be sat through...

"who the fook is that guy" - was over two years ago and it's probably the last actual witty thing he's said. He's gone full effin and blinding now, which isn't big and isn't clever.

"who the fook is that guy" - was over two years ago and it's probably the last actual witty thing he's said. He's gone full effin and blinding now, which isn't big and isn't clever.

Class. I guess, move on with your life and stop posting about him? I'd say you'd be happier.

• Advertisement

He'll never win another 5 round fight in the UFC.

Mystical! Do you have a column that predicts the future?

• Mystical! Do you have a column that predicts the future?

I'll bet you two euro..payable through PayPal..

I'll bet you two euro..payable through PayPal..

You're grand!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He had a good one with Khabib about how he won his belt from a real estate agent.

• He had a good one with Khabib about how he won his belt from a real estate agent.

???...but then khabib hammered the sh1te out of him..made him look like a plumber..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kind of agree, and that was at a stretch.

I never took to his utterings as being in any way clever or witty or charismatic; they always just came across as vulgar and loutish and bland...

I just cannot understand how swearing is seen as witty. The odd swear word here and there I can take, but with some in today's society they feel the more they swear the cooler and greater they sound...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He had a good one with Khabib about how he won his belt from a real estate agent.

So good you can’t remember it offhand?? Must have been a zinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"Smell of shíte off yer Da" was clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

The Nal wrote: »
    "Smell of shíte off yer Da" was clever.

I thought "I'll tap your head off the canvas" was a great reply to khabibs mctapper taunts....wholly inaccurate, but a good retort at the time :D

From the outside looking in it seems like such a clichéd development, McGregor's career....the more money he acquired, the less he smiled, the more he seemed to manifest success for himself through sheer force of will and positive affirmations, the less positive he seemed to be in his mindset.

He went from a mentality of "losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning" to the most personal, vitriolic attacks on people. And not just in public for promotion, but via direct messages on twitter.

It seems too much of a cliche to even utter, and what do I know about what goes on behind the scenes, but it really does have the feel of a lad abandoning the things that helped get him to the top in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Money corrupts people. Simple as.

He was great craic once upon a time. For mma fans in this country it was an amazing few years, from having most people in the country not knowing the first thing about it the sport, to our most famous athlete being an mma fighter. The night in Dublin where the Irish (i include gunni :D) went undefeated was insane. I couldn't believe what was happening. Having been at UFC 93 a few years prior and it was the most niche of sports, to only a few years later a big gang of Irish lads "taking over". Great Times.

I've said it in another thread but I've gone to the euros as an Ireland supporting fan, and it was great, but we knew ultimately it was only a jolly up. No expectation of winning. To go on trips like the Vegas ones, having an Irishman fighting in the main event where he had real chances of winning, was a special thing.

It's been a great few years and maybe we'll have some good times in the future, but it saddens me how he's mostly disliked how he's hated by the average Joe now. I take no issue with those who dislike him, he's a hard guy to like now. He's also the exact type of person Irish people love to hate - Irish people love seeing someone who they feel is too big for their boots being put back in their place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

???...but then khabib hammered the sh1te out of him..made him look like a plumber..

The result of the fight doesn't change the fact I found that line funny at the time.

I can remember it off hand I just said it, he said khabib won his belt from a real estate agent. I can't remember it word for word but it was something like 'that's not even a real belt you beat a real estate agent for it'. Regardless, not being able to remember the quote word for word of a line I heard once 2 weeks doesn't mean it's not funny. I can't give you a single quote of an episode of it's always sunny I seen a few days ago but I still found the episode funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'm surprised some people don't fall over with the size of the chip on there shoulders when it comes to McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ricky Gervais last standup show was hilarious but I can't tell you any of the jokes verbatim. Must have been sh*te in they case eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

dulux99 wrote: »
    Money corrupts people. Simple as.

He was great craic once upon a time.
    For mma fans in this country it was an amazing few years, from having most people in the country not knowing the first thing about it the sport, to our most famous athlete being an mma fighter. The night in Dublin where the Irish (i include gunni :D) went undefeated was insane. I couldn't believe what was happening. Having been at UFC 93 a few years prior and it was the most niche of sports, to only a few years later a big gang of Irish lads "taking over". Great Times.

I've said it in another thread but I've gone to the euros as an Ireland supporting fan, and it was great, but we knew ultimately it was only a jolly up. No expectation of winning. To go on trips like the Vegas ones, having an Irishman fighting in the main event where he had real chances of winning, was a special thing.

It's been a great few years and maybe we'll have some good times in the future, but it saddens me how he's mostly disliked how he's hated by the average Joe now. I take no issue with those who dislike him, he's a hard guy to like now. He's also the exact type of person Irish people love to hate - Irish people love seeing someone who they feel is too big for their boots being put back in their place.

He still is.....there's nothing more exciting than the week leading up to a McGregor fight

all the other stuff I aint too interested in, I dare say when he gives up fighting I'd have little or no interest in what he does

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

McGregor lost his charm and wit.

On the way up he was charming and hungry for success.

Immediately after the Aldo fight his ego exploded. That press conference with RDA was abysmal. His charm and wit gone.

• Advertisement

McGregor lost his charm and wit.

On the way up he was charming and hungry for success.

Immediately after the Aldo fight his ego exploded. That press conference with RDA was abysmal. His charm and wit gone.

His interview with Ariel and the Mac life just before the khabib fight were great and a lot like the old McGregor interviews. I wish he'd act like that a lot more. That probably doesn't get the views though which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

dulux99 wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais last standup show was hilarious

This post is funnier than any of the sh1t that has come out of Conor’s mouth....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The persona was amped up as the fights got bigger to generate more interest etc, he knows what he's doing.

As for the cursing thing, are people really that snowflakey?
    Maybe it's just the fact I'm from town and curse a fair bit myself, but I see that as a non issue

McGregor better than MR PED TACOS:

floydmayweather#TBT It didn’t matter if Canelo ate his PED steak or not this night, this was by far the easiest fight of my career! Connor McQuitter was a way better fighter than Canelo's cheating ass and I beat the brakes off him too! It takes me 36 mins or less to make $300 million plus. It literally takes me 1 night and 1 fight to make what you might make in 5 years and 11 fights! So really, who's still winning? You do the math!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpFZ3Xggm6Y/?utm_source=ig_embed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The whole Mayweather ****e ruined him. Fair play it made him the big bucks but his attitude and persona went to the dogs in the build up and aftermath of that fight.

Some of the comments he made towards Khabib and his father was way over the top and totally disrepectful. Was great to see him dominated and humbled by a warrior like Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭RoryMac

ricero wrote: »
    The whole Mayweather ****e ruined him. Fair play it made him the big bucks but his attitude and persona went to the dogs in the build up and aftermath of that fight.

Some of the comments he made towards Khabib and his father was way over the top and totally disrepectful. Was great to see him dominated and humbled by a warrior like Khabib.

Mayweather had him like a performing monkey in the buildup to that fight, sending him out on stage for 20 mins of a stand-up show to sell PPV's.

He has been and is a great fighter but money is his motivation now and I don't see him regaining a hunger needed to beat the top guys any more.

Diaz 3 and a rematch with Khabib to top up the bank balance seem like the only fights worth making for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Harper Crooked Season

ricero wrote: »

That was what done it for me too and make me mostly break my silence on him.

Not because it was Conor, personally I don't really give a toss about him. But I was glad and always will be glad to see someone who carried on like that suffer an absolutely humiliating defeat.

Insert any name but anyone who has carried on like that to a run up to a fight deserves the beat down CmcG got.

I'd like to see him enjoy his wealth and young family, and disappear now.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Mayweather had him like a performing monkey in the buildup to that fight, sending him out on stage for 20 mins of a stand-up show to sell PPV's.

He has been and is a great fighter but money is his motivation now and I don't see him regaining a hunger needed to beat the top guys any more.

Diaz 3 and a rematch with Khabib to top up the bank balance seem like the only fights worth making for him.

The only fights! hahaha

Only!

This thread is amazing!

McGregor is in nothing but epic fights and getting paid vast sums of money.

You'd think he was on the undercard!

Has a great trilogy to complete and another crack at the belt.

Money is the motivation now! Hasn't got the hunger anymore. Let me get the violin out!

That's all he has left!!!!! hahaha

What are ye like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

"Why do you have a schoolbag Floyd? You can't even read" was pretty funny.

• Advertisement

• derfderf wrote: »
    "Why do you have a schoolbag Floyd? You can't even read" was pretty funny.

Have we established that McGregor can read?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement