Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NaNoWriMo 2018

• 11-09-2018 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hello, everyone.

Nano is around the corner once again.

And for those who still do not know what NaNo is, its an online writing challenge whose goal is to write 50k words during the month of November.

More info here: NaNoWriMo

Is any of you going to participate in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skankrandy

I've been tempted the last few years and this year looks to be a busier November than most, but somehow that's making me want to give it a go even more. Anyone done it before and have any tips or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

I only participated in 2014 and it was fun for me even though i wasn't able to meet the goal. This year i am going to be a rebel since i am going to continue with my 2014 story and see how much i can write.

There is a FB grp for nanowrimos if you are interested. People help each other with supporting words, ideas and even advice. Just join the group and see for yourself ;)

NaNoWriMo

I've no plans on what I want to work on during it, but I guess I've plenty of time to decide. I've applied to join the Facebook group, now I just have to push myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've applied for that group too. I'll read what others are doing/saying and that might give me a kick up the arse.

Writing a book is on my bucket list - this could be the year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

skankrandy wrote: »
    I've been tempted the last few years and this year looks to be a busier November than most, but somehow that's making me want to give it a go even more. Anyone done it before and have any tips or advice?

Sign up and do it. You might not reach the target but you will write a lot more than you would otherwise and that is success.

• Advertisement

That's a good point! I'm signed up on the site, in the Facebook group and already thinking of every part of my day I might squeeze a bit in

skankrandy wrote: »
    That's a good point! I'm signed up on the site, in the Facebook group and already thinking of every part of my day I might squeeze a bit in

The important part is to start. Once you do that it will get easier. Even if you do not meet the 50k words goal as long as you have fun that is the most important and it will give you an idea of what to expect next year ;)

That sounds like a good approach. I'm really excited for it now :)

Hesthea wrote: »
    There is a FB grp for nanowrimos if you are interested. People help each other with supporting words, ideas and even advice. Just join the group and see for yourself ;)

NaNoWriMo

Inspiring group! Some very bright people there. Seriously tempted now. :)

Has anyone started planning their project? Seems a lot of people on the Facebook group have. I've yet to even settle on what project to do for the month

• Advertisement

I am going to continue my project from 2014. The 1st and only year i participated. While i was writing like a maniac to meet the 50k goal (which i didn't) i realized that my story was going in a weird direction/s. Not gonna even start talking about my characters. So i decided to delete everything and keep the part that i really enjoyed writing before getting hit the the 50k word madness.

Which makes me a rebel. xD

You can start planning so that you have an idea about what you are going to write. Make some research if you wish or simple write as it comes which is usually my way.

I've got five or six ideas I'm considering and I'll probably just bullet point some stuff on each one of them to help me to decide which I'm going to dedicate the month too. I've not properly written in a while because I've been really busy with my job, but this has gotten me really excited and motivated to get back at it now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So how do people plan out these novel(la)s then, out of curiosity? Wing it until your narrative has a beginning-middle-end? Plan out every potential plot beat in bullet form first? Mind maps for characters, relationships etc? Just curious :D

To be honest, it just came to me while i was participating on nano in 2014. I only took some notes (i'm so glad i did that!) so that i wouldn't forget what it would be about.

Yesterday, i found those notes and while reading it i realized that there were a few (important) points that i had forgotten and/or changed. So, always take notes no matter how silly it might be.
    In some cases, it might just fit perfectly with a part of your plot later on.

I have been trying to look for ways to make it till the end without going ashtray. I've found out some people use bullet journals. They look great and very detailed and also an awesome way for you to have an idea of what you are planning to write, your characters personalities and even how your world is like or what you would like for it to be.

There is also a part in which u have some sort of graphic in which you take notes of how many words u wrote and how many you are planning to write. Some people even gave links regarding the type of charas you can write about:

Archetypes for Writers

And their personalities:

Personality Types

16 Personalities

Nano Bullet Jounal Ideas:

#NANOPREP

A tea with tumnus

Boho Berry

Page Flutter

Doing a bit of planning might work best for me because sometimes it seems as if my story is everywhere and at same time nowhere. So if i do at least some characters sheets regarding their personality and such it will be better and less confusing in those times when i might think they are behaving weirdly or being copy/past of other characters. It will be a way to have something to compare with.

I am also gathering some pics to help with the visuals be it for my charas or for the places/ areas they will be or that at least look a bit like what i have in mind.

Hope it helps =)

Is anyone any further along with their plans? I think I'm on board, I just need to flesh out my idea. 50k words is intimidating, but 1666 words a day is less so...

I am.
    I have been writing a bit to see how many words i can manage per day and so far i am around 1000 which is not much to make the 50k during November but at least is something.

I am also writing down a list of personality types and linking it to my characters so that i don't end up with them all being copy/paste of each others. That case when i am in doubt about their own personality i read it to refresh my memory of whom they are and what they want and how do they plan to achieve it.

I also goggled for some images to help me with my characters visuals.

I'm the other end of the spectrum I think... All I've done is narrow down what ideas I'm considering, but even then it was only after I doubled it. I guess I've also done a bit of basic logistical planning in my head too. Just things like when I can fit in bits of writing around work and where. Trying to think of ways of cooking and carrying out chores and stuff on my day off each week that allow me to maximise writing while I'm at it. But so little planning done on the actual project =/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have a draft of an idea, the flimsiest sketch of characters, but 1000+ words a day feels difficult when even 500 is a good day.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have a draft of an idea, the flimsiest sketch of characters, but 1000+ words a day feels difficult when even 500 is a good day.
    It is difficult but if you write 500 that you wouldn't have otherwise then that is success in my book. If you can hit 500 a day then you will have 15,000 at the end of the month and that is a very good start. If you don't sign up what you have? A couple of thousand, maybe none.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm going for it. I've a second half of a novel to blast out. It won't amount to 50000, but I'd be delighted to get it done. Happy to link with any of you on there. PM me your usernames :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd love to do it. I haven't anything approaching a story in my head, but I hope I'd unlock something just by putting words on the page. But 1500 words a day is a steep commitment.

Arghus wrote: »
    But 1500 words a day is a steep commitment.

Look at it as a target more than a commitment. Not everyone will get there, I didn’t, but you will write something and something is better than nothing.

Out of curiosity, to those who have done this: whatever about the word count targets, how do people view the quality of the work at the end of it? (compared with their usual material) I'm guessing they're viewed as drafts sure, to be tinkered with and tweaked, but is the overall ... quality lower than what you'd normal output?

I'm an awful one for massaging every line and paragraph before I move on, which usually accounts for most stalling as I run out of steam from (say) just getting 5 - 10,000 words written.

It is all about quantity not quality which is the opposite of my usual attitude.
    Most of what I wrote was rubbish, going round in circles, but it was written down and I could see how bad it was and where the work had to be done.
    Looking at 5,000 beautifully polished words that took months to create is lovely but if they don’t fit into the plot it is a lot harder to delete them than to delete a couple of days work you never really invested in.

One of the advice that many people in the Nanowrimo FB page say is: Write. Write and write some more. Do not go back (unless your going to add more words). Do not correct it (unless it is really important for your plot). Do not review any of it. Simply keep writing.

At the end of Nano you can go back and take your sweet time reviewing it and fixing your novel. So that is what i'm going to try to do.

I just announced my novel at Nano. Ended up deciding to write a new one instead of continuing the one i couldn't finish eons ago. Lets see how it goes.

Has any of you announced what are you going to write about? Would love to read your synopsis or an excerpt of your novel =)

Yep, I have a plan. My working title is "Here and There" (this will probably change) :)

I have two separate threads being told in alternating chapters. One thread is from the perspective of an adult woman who has suffered a personal tragedy and is trying to get on with her life (the "Here" chapters). The other thread is from a young child's perspective in a fantastical land (the "There" chapters).

There is a connection between the two, but I'll keep that under wraps for now. :o

I still have a lot of details to work out but it's taking shape. I think most of this week will be planning the other world (characters, locations and rules). I'm going to get stuck into Scrivener this week and start writing some notes and my outline.

Sounds like a story i would love to read! =D

About Scrivener:
    Would you recommend it? Thinking of buying it.

I just got the Nano trial (works unrestricted until December 7th). I need to look at some video tutorials to get the most out of it, though.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo

Good discount if you decide to buy afterwards too (50% off if you hit 50k).

• Advertisement

I've just realized that i've tried it out in 2014 and i loved it x)

Unfortunately, i didn't hit the 50k so i couldn't buy it for 50% off. Maybe i'll make it this year.

Advertisement