Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I love Metallica, but not a ****ing hope are they shifting 80,000+ tickets in Ireland.

They could curtain off sections like they did for the stones and RHCP but that could be even pushing it

2019 will be 10 years since there last Dublin show (hard to believe) and a lot will of Irish fans will go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    We camped the last two times and have to say it was a much better experience

Thats a lot of effort. Id rather just go to another city to see the band. No olé olérs either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They could curtain off sections like they did for the stones and RHCP but that could be even pushing it

2019 will be 10 years since there last Dublin show (hard to believe) and a lot will of Irish fans will go

Was that in Marley Park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

threein99 wrote: »
    Was that in Marley Park ?

Yeah.

This was the one to be at!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1986/sfx-centre-dublin-ireland-4bd6d762.html

About a week before Cliff died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah.

This was the one to be at!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1986/sfx-centre-dublin-ireland-4bd6d762.html

About a week before Cliff died.

Jesus that's mad, feels like it was only 3 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

From what I'm hearing Paul McCartney is coming back for a final tour to The RDS and Garth Brooks is doing a tour of Ireland Like Ed Sheeran just did so Dublin ,Cork ,Limerick,Belfast

argentum wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing Paul McCartney is coming back for a final tour to The RDS and Garth Brooks is doing a tour of Ireland Like Ed Sheeran just did so Dublin ,Cork ,Limerick,Belfast

Please god just let Garth Brooks come back and finally put the past behind us

Last I've heard is he still wants his 5 dates in Croke Park and stupidly thinks the "govener of Dublin" will allow it

Would his stage setup fit in PUC, Thomond Park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I love Metallica, but not a ****ing hope are they shifting 80,000+ tickets in Ireland.
    I'd be confident they'd easily shift 50k+ making it worthwhile for the promoter, I don't get it like they were bi-annually flogging 25-30k+ in the noughties and they haven't been here in 10 years! Why the underestimation of them? a massively commercial rock band that I couldn't see being turned down should they be available. I'd prefer they did the 3.O2 but can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I'd be confident they'd easily shift 50k+ making it worthwhile for the promoter, I don't get it like they were bi-annually flogging 25-30k+ in the noughties and they haven't been here in 10 years! Why the underestimation of them? a massively commercial rock band that I couldn't see being turned down should they be available. I'd prefer they did the 3.O2 but can't see it happening.

If they said they were going to just play songs up to the 'black' album they would fill Croker. Most old fans have gotten tired of the same sh1te. They are overly commercial & Lars puts a lot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The last time they were here they didn't sell out marlay park, why do you think that ten years later they would have double the fan base, are Metallica even relevant to young people anymore?? Would there be a demand for them from people who were 13-15 last time they came??

Also no large outdoor gigs sold out this summer except for Sheeran, the ole ole crew seem to be dwindling with the rising cost of tickets/hotels in Dublin.

30,000?? I'd say definitely
    50,000?? Only with a really strong support act/s

80,000??? I very much doubt it.......

• Advertisement

The last time they were here they didn't sell out marlay park, why do you think that ten years later they would have double the fan base, are Metallica even relevant to young people anymore?? Would there be a demand for them from people who were 13-15 last time they came??

Also no large outdoor gigs sold out this summer except for Sheeran, the ole ole crew seem to be dwindling with the rising cost of tickets/hotels in Dublin.

30,000?? I'd say definitely
    50,000?? Only with a really strong support act/s

80,000??? I very much doubt it.......

I don't doubt it despite not selling out Marlay park last time in Dublin the reality is they played 08,09,Belfast in 10 which were 2 sold out shows, 4 shows in 21 months, I didn't go to any of them I've still seen them 7 times would I go to see them for one last hurrah? Likely...

Support acts have mattered very little to Metallica shows from what I've witnessed over the years of course would be nice to get more bang for my buck.

AC/DC was far from full in 1996 point show, fast forward to 09 tickets were like gold dust they played Punchestown a few months after to take advantage of demand. Similar no?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I don't doubt it despite not selling out Marlay park last time in Dublin the reality is they played 08,09,Belfast in 10 which were 2 sold out shows, 4 shows in 21 months, I didn't go to any of them I've still seen them 7 times would I go to see them for one last hurrah? Likely...

Support acts have mattered very little to Metallica shows from what I've witnessed over the years of course would be nice to get more bang for my buck.

AC/DC was far from full in 1996 point show, fast forward to 09 tickets were like gold dust they played Punchestown a few months after to take advantage of demand. Similar no?

Tbh ACDC have a wider commercial audience then Metallica.

If Metallica do play next year they wont be anywhere near Croker or Slane , as said even with a strong support they couldnt come near to selling either venues out. Malahide or the 3 Arena would be best shot for them these days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

For whatever reason AC/DC weren't as big a draw in 1996, but were extremely popular draw again back in 2009. Musical culture and popularity changes over time and at that first time - the mid nineties - AC/DC could have been perceived as being a bit old fashioned and out of step with the musical times. Not that they weren't still a huge band, but they were clearly in a bit of furrow popularity wise, it didn't help that they released perhaps their worst ever album at the time.

But if you keep on doing the same thing over and over again, eventually things will swing back your way again - you'll be cool again. A newer generation of music fans discovered their music - along with a lot of other classic rock - in the noughties and then they released a semi-decent album, after many years inactivity, and add all that to the pre-existing fans and - viola - AC/DC were absolutely huge again. A lot of things just went right timing wise.

Metallica just aren't as popular as AC/DC. They don't have as wide an appeal: they're more metal. I was at that gig at Punchestown and for a large portion of the crowd I reckon that was their one gig of the year, but yet they still came out: AC/DC, at that moment in time, had across the board appeal.

As for Metallica, you'd be hard pressed to get many of the same day trippers to turn up in a field in Meath to listen to choice cuts off Ride The Lightning. I'm not slagging them off here, they're absolutely one of the greatest bands of all time IMO and no doubt there's enthusiasm for a gig here - I'd go myself! - but Metallica's salad days of filling a place like Slane are absolutely over. And I don't know if they'll get the chance to experience a resurgence in popularity like AC/DC did - every passing year rock music seems less culturally relevant. And I say that with sadness!

Been a while since Bon Jovi played Dublin and they recently finished there North American leg of the 'this house is not for sale' tour and play in Japan/Austraila in Nov/Dec this year

Could see them tour Europe in 2019

Would they sell a stadium date here without Richie Sambora ??? (Slane 2013 was on sale before he left)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Overkill, Destruction, Flotsam & Jetsom & MESHIAAK play The Academy in Dublin next March, tickets on sale Friday July 6th @ 10 am, €35 + booking fee.

Arghus wrote: »

As for Metallica, you'd be hard pressed to get many of the same day trippers to turn up in a field in Meath to listen to choice cuts off Ride The Lightning. I'm not slagging them off here, they're absolutely one of the greatest bands of all time IMO and no doubt there's enthusiasm for a gig here - I'd go myself! - but Metallica's salad days of filling a place like Slane are absolutely over. And I don't know if they'll get the chance to experience a resurgence in popularity like AC/DC did - every passing year rock music seems less culturally relevant. And I say that with sadness!

Well I think your wrong - Testament sold out Vicar st this year and Slayers last show is on the way to selling out having previously only managed Academy/Olympia dates on last trips.

Ride the Lightning choice cuts :D ridiculous - Escape and Trapped Under Ice? Not Gonna happen...The title track,Fade to Black,For Whom the Bell Tolls,Creeping Death is what they'd choose from.

Find out in September anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Been a while since Bon Jovi played Dublin and they recently finished there North American leg of the 'this house is not for sale' tour and play in Japan/Austraila in Nov/Dec this year

Could see them tour Europe in 2019

Would they sell a stadium date here without Richie Sambora ??? (Slane 2013 was on sale before he left)

I doubt most people would know/care if he was there TBH.
    they could probably do 40k in the RDS, or 50k in the Aviva. wouldn't think Croker would be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well I think your wrong - Testament sold out Vicar st this year and Slayers last show is on the way to selling out having previously only managed Academy/Olympia dates on last trips.

Ride the Lightning choice cuts :D ridiculous - Escape and Trapped Under Ice? Not Gonna happen...The title track,Fade to Black,For Whom the Bell Tolls,Creeping Death is what they'd choose from.

Find out in September anyway ;)

That they're going to play Slane?

No chance mate. I'll literally bet you 100 euro.

No joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Thunder77

I think there coming next year, JBJ did say recently they were planning to tour Europe in 2019 and they always come here but i would have my doubts about seeing them in a stadium as his voice is not what it was and he can't hit the high notes anymore and from the clips i have seen on You tube he is def struggling to keep his voice intact

Arghus wrote: »
    That they're going to play Slane?

No chance mate. I'll literally bet you 100 euro.

No joke.

Nope that they play the larger field.

I'll take that bet may as well be for a Metallica ticket.

3arena,Malahide,Marlay,Kilmainham,Iveagh Gardens you win.

Phoenix Park,RDS,Slane,Aviva,Croker I win?

Obvs they have to come summer 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Nope that they play the larger field.

I'll take that bet may as well be for a Metallica ticket.

3arena,Malahide,Marlay,Kilmainham,Iveagh Gardens you win.

Phoenix Park,RDS,Slane,Aviva,Croker I win?

Obvs they have to come summer 2019.

And if they don't come, €50 each to a charity of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Liam Gallagher said at the end of his gig he’ll be back in 2019. He also tweeted it. Another trip to Malahide or indoor in the 3 Arena??

Liam Gallagher said at the end of his gig he’ll be back in 2019. He also tweeted it. Another trip to Malahide or indoor in the 3 Arena??

Wishful thinking but maybe with a reformed Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

That would be the dream but I can't see it in the short term anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Thunder77 wrote: »
    I think there coming next year, JBJ did say recently they were planning to tour Europe in 2019 and they always come here but i would have my doubts about seeing them in a stadium as his voice is not what it was and he can't hit the high notes anymore and from the clips i have seen on You tube he is def struggling to keep his voice intact

id say we will say them in Europe next year since done all of the Americas and now Asia/Australia . I would love to see them in somewhere like PUC. Looking at rock roll hall of fame if they got Richie back his vocals would be able to carry JBJ. It would be some stadium show with Richie,Phil X and John shanks on guitars

With the 2018 concert summer season nearing the end of the road. We can start preparing for what 2019 might bring for us gig lovers

My bucket list has been emptied a lot these past few years and I can't think of many more bands I have to see for the first time. Few bands I didn't see yet they favourites of mine are Green Day, Queens of the stone age, Oasis(if they ever reform), Liam Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Van Halen need to get off their a***s and get back on the road.

I think David Lee Roth did a solo show here once.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

25th anniversary of Definitely Maybe and Glastonbury is back. Highly unlikely but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Van Halen need to get off their a***s and get back on the road.

With Eddie's son Wolfgang who is also the bass player in the band now releasing a solo album soon there is not much chance of that depending how he decides to promote the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The last time was Vicar Street in 2004.
    He also played the Point in 1991.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Advertisement