Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

All the way to Japan to pay ten euro for Heineken?

its one thing I don't understand about Irish abroad. even worse is going to an "Irish" bar to drink imported Guinness at an inflated cost

Kirin or Asahi is far nicer than Heineken and can be bought for a lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

All the way to Japan to pay ten euro for Heineken?

I like Heineken, I don’t drink 9% fruit juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Dav010 wrote: »
    I like Heineken, I don’t drink 9% fruit juice.

Good, me too. But maybe that individual does? You were the one that commented on their choice.

The snobbery around others choices is just weird, doesn't do much for the stereotype. No one knows what budget others are on.

I have seen people give off to others for going to Irish pubs and then others give off for not going to them!

I just think it stops others from posting. Anyway if you like Heineken you're in luck, some of the 7/11 places have little fridges stocked with them as a promo.

Unsubscribing from thread as i am home now, god bless whoever it was that posted the ticket link for the shortcut back in Jan!

Enjoy the rest of the trip folks!

Good, me too. But maybe that individual does? You were the one that commented on their choice.

The snobbery around others choices is just weird, doesn't do much for the stereotype. No one knows what budget others are on.

I have seen people give off to others for going to Irish pubs and then others give off for not going to them!

I’m not a pub snob, I’m all for equality, if they sell drink, I don’t care who owns them. My point being, if you go to a few different places, they are not all expensive, albeit a bit more than here. They don’t have a “bushing” culture, you don’t see people drinking out of cans/fruit bottles on the street.

I has a few €10 pints, mostly in Man on the Moon in Kyoto, but apart from that, I didn’t think it was a bad/expensive as I was warned it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

All the way to Japan to drink the Japanese equivalent of Dutch Gold? I’m just back, it wasn’t near as expensive as I thought it would be, after drinking goodo for 11 days, I still changed yen in Hong Kong airport on way back. In HUB bars, drink is pretty reasonable, ironically I found some of the “Irish” bars to be the most expensive. Pint of Heineken is around €7, in some places I paid a tenner.

Street food is amazing, and cheap, you will get a fantastic meal for less than €10

Are you mates with Breffni by any chance?

Calling someone out for drinking an actual Japanese drink and then proceeding to outline how much a Heineken cost. You couldn't write it.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Are you mates with Breffni by any chance?

Calling someone out for drinking an actual Japanese drink and then proceeding to outline how much a Heineken cost. You couldn't write it.

I normally drink Heineken so I was glad to see it there (sponsor, I know) don’t know who Breffini is, again, my point being, it isn’t that much more expensive than here, despite the warnings, unless you happen into a bar that is going to really rip you off and charge 1100 yen for a pint just because it’s got an Irish flag outside. If your plan is to drink 9% alcoholl juice out on the street, you will be moved on pretty quickly, it’s not like here, In Kyoto there is a fine just for smoking on the street. What’s your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bar to watch the games in Hiroshima?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

I normally drink Heineken so I was glad to see it there (sponsor, I know) don’t know who Breffini is, again, my point being, it isn’t that much more expensive than here, despite the warnings, unless you happen into a bar that is going to really rip you off and charge 1100 yen for a pint just because it’s got an Irish flag outside. If your plan is to drink 9% alcoholl juice out on the street, you will be moved on pretty quickly, it’s not like here, In Kyoto there is a fine just for smoking on the street. What’s your issue?

Haven't a clue where to start with a reply so I'll not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

this couldn't be more inaccurate, they don't move anyone on for drinking in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

dermiestv wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bar to watch the games in Hiroshima?

I was looking into it and found a few places, one is an Irish bar called Molly malones that looks decent.

There is also a sports bar called the 50/50 I think that looks like it will do.

Personally im not a fan of Irish bars, they can serve a purpose if you want a bottle of bulmers to dampen a hangover or a safe and overpriced bite to eat for a break from the local food.

Gonna be there for the Japan Scotland Game so hopefully we can find somewhere full of locals and wont have to go to the Irish bar. If i want to meet someone from Tullamore I will just go to Tullamore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

Evening folks, I am looking at buying tickets to Quarter Final 2 (just in case Ireland finish 2nd in the group). Unfortunately it seems that re-sell sites like StubHub and Viagogo are my only option to make a purchase as it is unavailable on the official ticketing site. Would you trust buying off those sites / has there been any issues with people getting into matches with tickets bought from them?

Viagogo have tickets for €350 but I'm naturally wary...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

alanb92 wrote: »
    Evening folks, I am looking at buying tickets to Quarter Final 2 (just in case Ireland finish 2nd in the group). Unfortunately it seems that re-sell sites like StubHub and Viagogo are my only option to make a purchase as it is unavailable on the official ticketing site.

I'd hold tough until the weekends matches .
    If Ireland finish second then the Scots and Japanese who bought tickets for Quarter Final 2 expecting to finish as runners up in the group will want to offload their tickets and they should go back on the official ticket site for resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I'd hold tough until the weekends matches .
    If Ireland finish second then the Scots and Japanese who bought tickets for Quarter Final 2 expecting to finish as runners up in the group will want to offload their tickets and they should go back on the official ticket site for resale.

definitely
    those ticket tout sites should be avoided at all costs

im almost certain Scotland dont have the mettle to win away from home

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Evening folks, I am looking at buying tickets to Quarter Final 2 (just in case Ireland finish 2nd in the group). Unfortunately it seems that re-sell sites like StubHub and Viagogo are my only option to make a purchase as it is unavailable on the official ticketing site. Would you trust buying off those sites / has there been any issues with people getting into matches with tickets bought from them?

Viagogo have tickets for €350 but I'm naturally wary...

I've had good luck with a couple of Facebook groups. You need to be careful though, only take original tickets and face to face payments. If somebody looks for a "deposit" forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

CMcsporty wrote: »
    definitely
    those ticket tout sites should be avoided at all costs

im almost certain Scotland dont have the mettle to win away from home

And even Scotland win might not get them through. Scotland win without tbp and Japan getting a lbp gets Japan through. Ireland would still top group if they beat Samoa with a tbp

Eod100 wrote: »
    And even Scotland win might not get them through. Scotland win without tbp and Japan getting a lbp gets Japan through. Ireland would still top group if they beat Samoa with a tbp

Good explanation of permutations here:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiUWh0dHBzOi8vcHVuZGl0YXJlbmEuY29tL3J1Z2J5L3NtY21haG9uL3Blcm11dGF0aW9ucy1pcmVsYW5kLXBvb2wtcnVnYnktd29ybGQtY3VwL9IBVWh0dHBzOi8vcHVuZGl0YXJlbmEuY29tL3J1Z2J5L3NtY21haG9uL3Blcm11dGF0aW9ucy1pcmVsYW5kLXBvb2wtcnVnYnktd29ybGQtY3VwL2FtcC8?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

I know this has already been discussed but cant find it. What's the best/cheapest option for data only sim? I'll be there 2 weeks. Seen one for 50 euro.

Iompair wrote: »
    I've had good luck with a couple of Facebook groups. You need to be careful though, only take original tickets and face to face payments. If somebody looks for a "deposit" forget about it.

Many thanks for the advice - and for the other posts - it is much appreciated.

Do you mind if I ask the name of the Facebook groups you found useful for tickets?

hermano wrote: »
    I know this has already been discussed but cant find it. What's the best/cheapest option for data only sim? I'll be there 2 weeks. Seen one for 50 euro.

Don’t know about a sim, I rented a pocket WiFi from Japanwireless, it was fantastic. Fast speed, no loss of coverage as I moved around, unlimited data, WiFi everywhere.Cost me about €60 for the two weeks with discount. If you order in advance, you can pick up and drop off at post office in airport. A sim, I think, means you have to login to WiFi in building you are in, or rely on 4G.

If there are a few of you going over it would be worth buying a wifi dongle. I'm heading with 3 others and we purchased one off this site https://www.japan-wireless.com/en?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=b&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8h4CJSNfnCBR7LzEDCZt0yIBqGwtCDcR8IhK2Gd-igJcBZDX-Nd_FBoCz2YQAvD_BwE for €110 for 3 weeks if I remember correctly

• Advertisement

If there are a few of you going over it would be worth buying a wifi dongle. I'm heading with 3 others and we purchased one off this site https://www.japan-wireless.com/en?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=b&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8h4CJSNfnCBR7LzEDCZt0yIBqGwtCDcR8IhK2Gd-igJcBZDX-Nd_FBoCz2YQAvD_BwE for €110 for 3 weeks if I remember correctly

That’s the one I had, you can connect 5 devices to it, it’s a great bit of kit and it comes with a back up battery.

That’s the one I had, you can connect 5 devices to it, it’s a great bit of kit and it comes with a back up battery.

Great to hear! Did you collect it in Narita Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Iompair wrote: »

Many thanks for the advice - and for the other posts - it is much appreciated.

Do you mind if I ask the name of the Facebook groups you found useful for tickets?

PM sent

Great to hear! Did you collect it in Narita Airport?

Ya, make sure you know which terminal you are landing in and arrange pick up there. In T2, post office is upstairs on 3rd floor near counter “C”, just show them the email ref u get from JW, it’s really quick and easy. On way back, just put in prepaid envelope that comes with it and pop it back to Post Office before you check in. It is very simple and those dongles are fantastic, not once did it drop coverage, we watched premiership matches on Skygo using it (have to change URL to German address for ipad to show it in Japan)

Ya, make sure you know which terminal you are landing in and arrange pick up there. In T2, post office is upstairs on 3rd floor near counter “C”, just show them the email ref u get from JW, it’s really quick and easy. On way back, just put in prepaid envelope that comes with it and pop it back to Post Office before you check in. It is very simple and those dongles are fantastic, not once did it drop coverage, we watched premiership matches on Skygo using it (have to change URL to German address for ipad to show it in Japan)

Great stuff! Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Check what time your flight lands and that the place is open. We flew into Osaka @5.30ish and the place closes at 5. So I got it sent to our hotel. Was there when we arrived.

There may be better opening times in Tokyo though. It’s a great piece of kit.

Have been watching Netflix and Skyping home with it not a bother anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I got one in Narita for 14days, unlimited for 50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There is an information centre in the arrivals hall in Narita. You will be able to buy a sim card near there. I used Mobal. It was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone else getting nervous about having the tickets for the wrong quarter-final? Presume RWC ticket reselling doesn't offer swap option. Only arrive the Saturday of the qfs so wouldn't have a whole lot of time to make swap on the ground on the day. Will only be known for definite Sunday after Japan Scotland game but guess that's the risk with booking knockout tickets in advance..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting nervous about having the tickets for the wrong quarter-final? Presume RWC ticket reselling doesn't offer swap option. Only arrive the Saturday of the qfs so wouldn't have a whole lot of time to make swap on the ground on the day. Will only be known for definite Sunday after Japan Scotland game but guess that's the risk with booking knockout tickets in advance..!

the risk for me is semi finals as our tickets are based on Ireland topping group - of course Ireland may not even make the semis but if they do I will face these issues and so will be interested to hear about QFS

I would presume that other team supporters would be in same boat and may be reselling or looking to swap

Advertisement