Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vampyr

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah it's a bit annoying sprinting everywhere and fighting the same fellas over and over enjoying the story and more though. Anyone else think this looks like a ps3 game though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's definitely not a pretty game, not once have I been tempted to take a screenshot. DontNod must not have the tools/budget for a AAA title graphics and I'm ok with that as long as the core game is good. I'm still only on chapter 2, talking to everyone and trying to find out everything i can about them. Really enjoying that bit. I'm a bit underlevelled in the combat but I feel that's the point because I'm denying my thirst.

Anyone recommend a good weapon to start leveling up? I like the quick one handed types but don't want to commit to leveling one up in case I find a better one soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'm still early on the game as well. Currently at second boss
    in the morgue
    . Just made one (civilian) kill so far. I like the atmosphere of the game. Combat isn't as poor as I was expecting. I'm a bit clueless on consumables though. I made a potion that is said to increase health but when I go into my inventory it's not there. I also have 2 guns but don't know how to use them. Suppose it just takes time to get used to everything.

Ah ****ing baaaaaalllllssss!

In Whitechapel
    speaking with Dorothy to finish her quest, I had the options to walk away and let her to it, mesmerise and kill her or an unlocked option to charm her to forget. For some reason I thought the charm would mean to stop blackmailing and also forget seeing me. Doesn't even make sense thinking about it. Instead I charmed her into giving up her freelance work of helping people and I got a message saying the district will soon suffer the consequences. I usually let choices play out in games, good or bad but that's one I really wish I could undo. Tried reloading but the deed is done :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭thetimeisnow

how does this compare to witcher 3

• Advertisement

how does this compare to witcher 3

Combat is like a lite version of Witcher combat. Kick in circle around, Dodge, strike, use special attack. I actually like the combat in Vampyr.

Talking to people is similar to the Witcher, choosing dialogue to open quests. Other than that, Vampyr is a very unique game. Huge cast of characters that all have back story that you can unlock by taking to other people that are linked to them. Finding out more opens quests and ups the XP you would get for killing them. You can kill everyone... I'm doing a goody two shoes run first but looking forward to my Lost Boys run next and will treat everyone like noodles.

I'm really enjoying it but it's a bit different from the Witcher just like it's different from everything else.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Combat is like a lite version of Witcher combat. Kick in circle around, Dodge, strike, use special attack. I actually like the combat in Vampyr.

Talking to people is similar to the Witcher, choosing dialogue to open quests. Other than that, Vampyr is a very unique game. Huge cast of characters that all have back story that you can unlock by taking to other people that are linked to them. Finding out more opens quests and ups the XP you would get for killing them. You can kill everyone... I'm doing a goody two shoes run first but looking forward to my Lost Boys run next and will treat everyone like noodles.

I'm really enjoying it but it's a bit different from the Witcher just like it's different from everything else.

I quite like the combat as well. It's much better than I was expecting. That sewer beast destroyed me a good few times. So happy dodge is circle as Souls have trained me to press that (remapped God of War to be the same). I've to head into Whitechapel now as well so I seem to be around the same part as you. Switched off yesterday after getting one shot by a resistance fighter.

I really like the game.

I'm just started chapter 3, met everyone at Whitechapel. First going there is mad, getting wrecked my mobs. Leaving the place and I was doing the wrecking. I'm using a stamina/claw/2 handed club build, working quite nice for me. Bits of it really reminding me of a vampire masquerade, loving the characters, even the scoundrels and they've done a good job balancing being a good vamp (if you choose) but still realising you have needs and not having to judge everyone around you.

Leveled up, slept and....oh balls. Whitechapel went to **** because of my actions.
    Dorothy is missing and the place is in critical.

How do you change between your weapons and vampire skills? So far all I seem to be able to do is the one where their blood coagulates (R2) and another that sends a spike of blood through them or something (R1) . Another that makes you warp to the enemy inflicting damage (L2) Then I've just the stake and machete as on and off hand weapons. I picked up loads if stuff, including guns but haven't figured out how to use anything else.

When you find a bed, you can unlock skills from there. They auto assign to L1,L2, R1, R2 and your ultimate skill is used with L2 & R2. You can go to your equipment screen (Reid's head in the middle of the screen) and assign different skills to the shoulder buttons from there. If you can't choose any, it means you don't have the first stage unlocked from the level up screen.

Same with equipment, click on your current weapon and it will bring up all available weapons. 2 handed takes away your stake/gun but can still cause stun damage.

If you find a weapon you like, I recommend upgrading it at a work bench. Check your junk items and convert them to craft items at a bench also. I upgraded my club to Good and I'm getting 3 clean hits in a combo stunning them on the 3rd allowing me to bite and then I hit them with a claw.

vampyr-character-menu.jpg

• Advertisement

HA, just from that pic, I noticed you can equip 2 weapons at once and swap them out? Will have to try it later but looks like I could have my 2 handed club and also a 1 handed machete. Same with secondary weapon, stakes, guns, etc. Will be very handy to mix it up for certain enemies.

Ah right, so you can only have one active at any time (per shoulder button so 3 or 4 in total). I was trying to change stuff on the fly. Thought it had said that was possible by using directional buttons. Just left Whitechapel. It's now critical despite me not feasting on anyone. Must be scripted to end up like that. I really like the game. The combat is grand, don't understand the complaints about it.

Edit to add. Missed your last post. So 4 weapons plus 3 or 4 vampire skills. Must play around with them later.

Can I ask, if you can spoiler, what way you left the pillar
    nurse Dorothy
    ? I imagine if you spare her, it won't go critical? My action made the newspaper FFS. It said a critical area can have it's citizens go missing so bye bye side quests. Have to go around trying to heal everyone there, bring it up a level.

Can I ask, if you can spoiler, what way you left the pillar
    nurse Dorothy
    ? I imagine if you spare her, it won't go critical? My action made the newspaper FFS. It said a critical area can have it's citizens go missing so bye bye side quests. Have to go around trying to heal everyone there, bring it up a level.

I
    spared her, made her forget everything. Think charm was the option. Made the paper also, said something about disappearances

I
    spared her, made her forget everything. Think charm was the option. Made the paper also, said something about disappearances

Yupp that's her ****ed :pac: I looked it up and the charm option wrecks the district. Spare is the only way to save it.

Yupp that's her ****ed :pac: I looked it up and the charm option wrecks the district. Spare is the only way to save it.

Hmmm. I thought I was sparing her by not selecting the feast on her option (whatever it was called). Well that's crap. Oh well. There's always next playthrough.

Hmmm. I thought I was sparing her by not selecting the feast on her option (whatever it was called). Well that's crap. Oh well. There's always next playthrough.

Exactly what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah i f**ked whitechapel too. Ah well, I just have to do a good play-through. A little tip for people, Shadow powers are your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I'm just into chapter 3 and loving it, no citizen bites yet. The combat is really fun once I start leveling up the stake and bite then its just about dodge and stamina management. Really helpful your stamina regenerates during the bite while also getting those glorious iframes. The pacing of the story was a bit slow to begin with which can be a bit off putting but does pick up.

After 2 nights of healing the people of white chapel, I got the state from critical to serious. People constantly getting sick bit don't think anyone will be disappearing now. Also, cool bit of you go back to 'her' house of you charmed her.

Now to push on with the story. Loving this game! Thanks for anyone who recommended it. I was going to hold out because of the average 'pro' reviews, glad I didn't wait any longer.

• Advertisement

After 2 nights of healing the people of white chapel, I got the state from critical to serious. People constantly getting sick bit don't think anyone will be disappearing now. Also, cool bit of you go back to 'her' house of you charmed her.

Now to push on with the story. Loving this game! Thanks for anyone who recommended it. I was going to hold out because of the average 'pro' reviews, glad I didn't wait any longer.

Could you
    defeat her? She sprayed some stuff on me which was like toxic status effect in Souls. Tore through my HP. Second time she smacked me and it was a one shot. Might have to return to her later when stronger.

I agree, it's absolutely brilliant. I've just been doing investigations and healing before continuing chapter 3. Might have to start eating people for the XP as very weak atm.

Could you
    defeat her? She sprayed some stuff on me which was like toxic status effect in Souls. Tore through my HP. Second time she smacked me and it was a one shot. Might have to return to her later when stronger.

I agree, it's absolutely brilliant. I've just been doing investigations and healing before continuing chapter 3. Might have to start eating people for the XP as very weak atm.

Yeah, was a tough fight
    but I beat her first time, however when she died, she exploded and covered me in that crap and I died shortly after. Worth killing her for the key to her trunk. For the fight, I used my Ultimate move Abyss straight away to take a chunk of health off, then a mix of dodge, club, claw, dodge, repeat.
    I think I was level 11 when I beat her. Putting all my xp into stamina, makes it just like Bloodborne combat..kinda.

Also word of warning, stay the **** away from reddit. Front page of the Vampyr page has a title spoiling the ID of the end boss, such a sickner as I've just started chapter 3 and already very invested in the story.

Also word of warning, stay the **** away from reddit. Front page of the Vampyr page has a title spoiling the ID of the end boss, such a sickner as I've just started chapter 3 and already very invested in the story.

There is more to it than who the boss is ;)

Has the game crashed for anyone here? Threw me out last night. Some error code came up. Googled, said to update to latest version so downloaded a +7GB patch. Exact same thing happened tonight. Between that and FPS drops it's not a very optimised game. Annoying in fact. Never had a game kick me out before.

Yeah I got kicked out yesterday. I was running past some mobs and then Pop! im looking at my desktop.

Reading that thinking it's been grand on PS4, turned it on, made some treatments and game froze, had to close the application and reopen.

There is more to it than who the boss is ;)

Hhhmmmm finished chapter 3
    fight Mary, thought she was suppose to be the end boss, must have got something wrong, excellent, back on track :)

I have the docks fully sanitised, no one sick, fairly happy with that. Heading to West End next but I want to head back to Pembroke and white chapel to heal more people, really addictive. No citizens killed yet. Level 18, loving the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Just finished chapter 3 myself, enjoying it immensely. Little gem of a game. :)

• Advertisement

Just on chapter 3 meself. Have to head to the sewers. Expected
    to fight the sister at or after the funeral

I'm missing blueprints (presumably)for 3 meds. People are gonna die if I can find them!

Advertisement