Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S2S Cycleway - northside

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mrcheez wrote: »
    I got a reply to this...

"Design drawings and contract documents are currently being finalised. Pending confirmation of funding, it is hoped to proceed to tender in Spring 2014, with a view to starting construction in mid-2014. The provisional construction programme is approximately 15 months however seasonal restrictions on carrying out work within the lagoon may impinge on this."

So it's only going TO TENDER in Spring 2014, then 15 months development time (or probably longer with flooding/weather problems in the meantime).

Ah well, gonna have to stick to the Howth Road for next few years I guess.

Things should proceed smoothly, as long as we don't get hit by any unexpected seasons this year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Apparently work is due to begin on this in October.

October seems like an odd time to start work so alas it will probably be the following Spring for work to commence.

So much for starting mid-2013.

Moved again to Spring 2015 ... what are bets I'll still be posting on this topic in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

^^to be fair, cycling season is over. No point starting it until next Spring at this stage!

?? I'm going to continue cycling this route through winter (as will many others) - when in fact this upgrade would have been of most benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Leroy42 wrote: »
    ^^to be fair, cycling season is over. No point starting it until next Spring at this stage!

Makes sense to upgrade when less traffic I would have thought

I wasn't even aware there was a "cycling season". Do some cyclists put their bikes away for 6 months and take the bus/train to work? *shudder*

(I'm assuming most people on this route are using it for commuting. So commuting is "seasonless" imho.)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Moved again to Spring 2015 ... what are bets I'll still be posting on this topic in 2016?

April 1st is now the date to begin. Can't wait to be fooled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Soon... apparently.
    Construction of the “missing link” of the Dublin Bay cycle path is to start in six weeks time, more than a decade since planning of the route began.

Dublin City Council plans to spend in the region of €5 million to fill in the missing 2km section of its flagship cycle route from the Wooden Bridge to Causeway Road in Clontarf.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/construction-of-5m-dublin-cycle-path-to-start-in-six-weeks-1.2106254

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Advertisement

Cyclists can return to the path 300m short of the causeway, but must cross two lanes of traffic at a point not governed by signals.

In the meantime, a much better option is to use the traffic lights at the causeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    I really hope they don't f*ck it up.

With a purse of €5m? You know they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I really hope they don't f*ck it up.

dublin city councils specialty is ****ing things up. they could do anything without a cock up no matter what the budget was

""The path was put in place by the council in the early 1990s but a space was left between the Causeway Road and the Wooden Bridge because no solution could be found to building on the environmentally sensitive lagoon""

a 2-3 meter wide cycle way built on the sea side of teh road is hardly going to have such a drastic affect on the "lagoon". The whole plan sounds cobbled together just to make it look like they are doing somthing. Few years from opening and they might aswell have made the new cycle lane in cobbles coz going by the rest of the cycle lanes in dublin they all fall to bits

neris wrote: »
    they might aswell have made the new cycle lane in cobbles

Now that is a great idea, Our own version of Paris-Roubaix.

Would certainly get rid of all the skateboards, roller-blades etc.

A 2km section of cobbles, that would be a Strava segment worth fighting for!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

neris wrote: »
    a 2-3 meter wide cycle way built on the sea side of teh road is hardly going to have such a drastic affect on the "lagoon".

And what basis have you for that statement? Have you done your own survey on the environmental impact of the cycle lane? Bull island is a very unique ecosystem and has been recognised as such by UNESCO. I think it's pretty important that whatever is done to benefit cyclists that it doesn't have an adverse impact on this resource.

I wonder what environmental study was done when they put two golf courses on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

18 months to build 2km? there were motorways built in less.

Recently they have placed dog litter bins on the inside lane of the cycle track around Sutton so that they are actually encroaching on to the lane and you have to move in to the oncoming lane to safely pass them, at night you could easily crash in to them if you didn't know they were there. Also if someone with a dog wants to place their litter in the bin they must cross 2 busy cycle tracks to do this, idiotic planning with no safety study comes to mind.

I wonder what environmental study was done when they put two golf courses on the island.

What does it matter, They are already there and as such is irrelevant.

What is being proposed here is to do something that 'could' have an impact and therefore needs to be considered (and has been hence the reason for the original decision not to do anything.

From what I have read, the 'solution' seems to be to narrow the existing lanes to make way for the cycle path. This has the effect that road space will be decreased for all meaning that any cyclists that what to use the road will not have even less space for vehicular traffic to pass.

Effectively, kicking the cyclist off the road and forcing them to use the cycle lane. The cycle lane is not always the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

And what basis have you for that statement? Have you done your own survey on the environmental impact of the cycle lane? Bull island is a very unique ecosystem and has been recognised as such by UNESCO. I think it's pretty important that whatever is done to benefit cyclists that it doesn't have an adverse impact on this resource.

a 2-3 meter wide cycle path the best part of a mile away from bull island right beside the road is hardly going to wipe out the bird & wildlife population. they can build a cycle way in piers if they have to just so the little fishys can swim right up to wall and keep the tree huggers happy. the only place theyd be building is between the causeway road and the wooden bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The causeway itself has destroyed the lagoon and should have been replaced with a bridge years ago.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What does it matter, They are already there and as such is irrelevant.

What is being proposed here is to do something that 'could' have an impact and therefore needs to be considered (and has been hence the reason for the original decision not to do anything.

I'm not disputing that it needs to be done.

I'm not saying that sticking golf courses (or indeed the causeway) was a good decision at all. But at least this time the environmental impact of the change is being assessed, which I think is a good thing.

Leroy, I hadn't actually thought of that as a natural consequence of narrowing the road to accommodate a cycle lane. But it makes sense that driver hostility to cyclists on the road could increase as a result of it being put in place, given that cars would have decreased space in which to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

But it makes sense that driver hostility to cyclists on the road could increase as a result of it being put in place, given that cars would have decreased space in which to overtake.

As opposed to the current "design" which puts the bicyclist out into the middle of the lane heading north on the Clontarf road due to the number of parked cars and poor road surface? Heading south bound again you have a very poor road surface to the far left so cyclists have to move out more on that section of the road..
    So in your imagination realistically how would a properly designed and constructed cycle lane "increase hostility" over the current unsafe situation?

Point I'm making (or rather that Leroy made) is that if the intention for the cycle lane is to narrow the road to give the necessary room for a cycle lane, anyone who chooses to cycle on the road after it is built will be sharing a much smaller lane with motor traffic. This might (and I'm not saying this is right) increase driver hostility because they now have even less space in which to overtake cyclists, while certain cyclists - legally - continue to use the road rather than the newly built cycle lane.

You're absolutely right though, the road surface on the coast road beside St. Annes is an absolute deathtrap.

Point I'm making (or rather that Leroy made) is that if the intention for the cycle lane is to narrow the road to give the necessary room for a cycle lane, anyone who chooses to cycle on the road after it is built will be sharing a much smaller lane with motor traffic. This might (and I'm not saying this is right) increase driver hostility because they now have even less space in which to overtake cyclists, while certain cyclists - legally - continue to use the road rather than the newly built cycle lane.
    You're absolutely right though, the road surface on the coast road beside St. Annes is an absolute deathtrap.

Don't think this will be an issue for this particular section. And from what I read anyways, the road space available to motorised traffic will be only marginally narrowed.

And besides, cycle paths in Ireland are not designed to be quick, safe, direct and well maintained cycle routes, they are designed merely to remove bicyclists from the main lines of motorised traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Or what environmental study was done when cars were prevented from driving on the beach?

Or what environmental study was done when cars were prevented from driving on the beach?

Cars are banned from the beach now as far as I can remember, or at least strictly limited access....

Caused a furore when it was introduced though! :eek:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Cars are banned from the beach now as far as I can remember, or at least strictly limited access....

Get them banned from using the Phoenix Park as a through-way would be nice tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

The only people I ever see willingly cycle on the coast road are auld lads with Dunnes bags on their handle bars wobbling to the shops / pub and very rarely a lone commuting/sporting cyclist. Never once seen a group on the road.

I cycle / drive the route regularly and almost all cyclists seem to prefer the dedicated lane.

I think they had a counter for a while at the (to see how many were still on the road) James larkin section so maybe they are taking into account the apparent low Road usage by cyclists when considering narrowing the driving lanes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,252 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tenzor07 wrote: »

They are totally banned now. Came in to place at the end of the summer

Advertisement