Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

coylemj wrote: »
    Try to aim for the second sitting for dinner, that means you won't have to rush to your cabin to get ready for dinner when you come back from a shore trip and if you see my post above, it also means that you'll have minimal exposure to young children in the evenings.

Yea deffo going for second sitting, cos we are late eaters as it is, the early sitting seems too early and we don't want to be rushing back after a day ashore to change for dinner.
    maebee wrote: »
    Good tip. On the last cruise we did with RCI we had "My Time" Dining. Very handy as you can change between early & late to suit your daytime activities :)

Was contemplating that, but the possibility of having to wait for a table, different waiters etc we prefer the idea of set dining.
    Royal Caribbean are by far the best to go with.

Try get a balcony too it makes the trip ten times better.

I wish!!! Don't think we can stretch to a balcony cabin. We can prolly just about do an outside one. I'd rather spend the money in ports doing things than on a balcony tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

hdowney wrote: »
    Yea deffo going for second sitting, cos we are late eaters as it is, the early sitting seems too early and we don't want to be rushing back after a day ashore to change for dinner.

Was contemplating that, but the possibility of having to wait for a table, different waiters etc we prefer the idea of set dining.

I wish!!! Don't think we can stretch to a balcony cabin. We can prolly just about do an outside one. I'd rather spend the money in ports doing things than on a balcony tbh

That's fair enough, was just suggesting it because it cost us an extra 250 for the week to get a balcony, it was great been out on it when the boat is docking or pulling off, and nothing beats sitting out having a cold bottle of beer listening to the ipod as the sun sets!

But obviously if you have a budget it's a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

If they offer me the upgrade for a decent price then perhaps. I am looking at a 16 night Central Med cruise. at the moment (to my calculations using xe and the like so they are just base figures) the outside stateroom (no balcony) would cost me approx €815 more than an inside, so assuming a balcony would cost more again :/

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

I've noticed a few people on here saying that Royal Caribbean are the best to go on a cruise with.
    Just wondering why this is?
    How do they compare favourably with other operators?
    Considering a Caribbean cruise next year so would be interested to hear opinions on that.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Has anybody done a river cruise with Riviera Travel? Or could anybody give some details of river cruising. We have never done a cruise and are thinking about a five day river cruise with Riviera called "Amsterdam, Volendam and the Dutch Bulbfields. Would be grateful for anyone's thoughts or advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

gaillimh wrote: »
    I've noticed a few people on here saying that Royal Caribbean are the best to go on a cruise with.
    Just wondering why this is?
    How do they compare favourably with other operators?
    Considering a Caribbean cruise next year so would be interested to hear opinions on that.
    Thanks

Have never been on cruise with anyone but Royal Caribbean, but had such an incredible time that I would not consider any other company. Did Labadee in Haiti, Montego Bay, Cartagena in Colombia, Panama Canal and Puerto Limón in Costa Rica a few years back, sailed out of and back to Miami on Jewel of the Seas. Shore excursions were top notch, food was fantastic, staff went out of their way and in terms of activities, I have to echo what others are saying: floating city. It was the most relaxing holiday, but we still saw so much. Highly recommended, would go with RC again in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Very informative thread. I am looking to book with an MSC cruise from Barcelona in July but am wondering what is the best website to go with also when can you book the drinks package? Am I correct in assuming that meals are included but drinks are extra unless you avail of the drinks package?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Very informative thread. I am looking to book with an MSC cruise from Barcelona in July but am wondering what is the best website to go with also when can you book the drinks package? Am I correct in assuming that meals are included but drinks are extra unless you avail of the drinks package?

Yes, on most cruises the meals are all included but you pay for alcoholic drinks unless you buy into one of the drinks packages and note that all of the adults in your party typically have to book the same drinks package, that is certainly the rule with MSC and I suspect all of the cruise lines as well.

Most ships have additional speciality restaurants that are a cut above the ordinary and in those you have to pay. I was on a cruise on MSC Poesia and they had a Japanese restaurant onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Been on a Med cruise with RC last year, loved it, will do again.
    Just wondering when do the "seasoned cruisers" book their cruises.
    eg. if planning a cruise say anytime in May/June/July.
    Is it better to book early i.e now, or hang on for nearer the sail date, or does it matter ?
    Is booking direct with RC best, or through brokers, or whats the best way to "get a deal", given flexible dates/destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭maebee

We've done 6 cruises through here: http://www.e-travel.ie/. Got great deals with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Cape Clear wrote: »

We booked our MSC Barcelona cruise last year directly with MSC. No problems. Also booked the drinks package with them, but you don't pay for that until you are checking out of the ship. It's a good package if you are prone to having a few cocktails, beers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leana55

Hi, check out http://www.cruises.ie - Irish company with information/ pricing on all cruise lines. Also just looking at an MSC cruise for May and they have free upgrades to balcony cabins!! I travelled with Royal Caribbean two years ago on a Med cruise it was fab, didn't book the drinks package but it I was to cruise with them again think I will pre-book package. Looking at cruise deals at the min for Caribbean! Any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭pink100

this is great thread as my head has been buzzing last few days looking for a cruise for July. First time to book one so confused. :)
    going with 2 kids, 13 and 10, what is the situation with sleeping arrangements for a family does anyone know.

so if you are going off the boat all the trips cost extra?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leana55

Hi,

Shore excurions are extra and at every port you have a choice of organised trips or just head off on your own. I think the sleeping arrangements vary depending on which type of cabin you book. MSC currently have a kids offer of Eur130 per child plus flights - just got the pricing for myself!

So much choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

pink100 wrote: »
    this is great thread as my head has been buzzing last few days looking for a cruise for July. First time to book one so confused. :)
    going with 2 kids, 13 and 10, what is the situation with sleeping arrangements for a family does anyone know.

Give etravel.ie a shout, there very helpful, also MSC let 2 kids under 16 travel free, per couple (used to).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Shore excursions are a source of revenue for the cruise lines, there will be something on offer at every port but we found them a bit expensive and didn't fancy being cooped up on a coach for several hours. There's also something that infuriates me which is the ripoff whereby the coach will only stop at some poor to average out of town diner where you have no choice as to where to go for a snack, all because the driver and/or courier get a kickback from the premises. Their excuse invariably is that the local town has no coach park close to any eateries which is probably complete BS.

We did a Baltic cruise with MSC, the only port where we docked and were not beside a public street was either Bergen or Stavanger but they provided a free shuttle bus from the port to a spot downtown from where we were able to explore on foot. In most other cities we moored practically in the city centre, it's a weird experience, like a cruise ship tying up at Liberty Hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

What's the best way to do it? Book straight through Royal Caribbean or through e bookers and get flights seperate?

We are thinking if going in September for our honeymoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭maebee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Getting off the boat is free, its only excursions that cost money, nothing to stop you doing your
    exploring free of charge in each port town!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, on most cruises the meals are all included but you pay for alcoholic drinks unless you buy into one of the drinks packages and note that all of the adults in your party typically have to book the same drinks package, that is certainly the rule with MSC and I suspect all of the cruise lines as well.

Most ships have additional speciality restaurants that are a cut above the ordinary and in those you have to pay. I was on a cruise on MSC Poesia and they had a Japanese restaurant onboard.

Royal Caribbean's new drink packages don't have to be bought by all adults in the room, though I feel they're pricier than the MSC equivalents, to the extent that I don't think I'm going to get an alcoholic drinks package this year. RC have started a new "Replenish" package for $20 a day which includes all non-alcoholic drinks (water, soft drinks, speciality coffees (lattes, etc), fresh squeezed orange juice and "virgin" cocktails). I think I'll take that, and just buy drinks as I want. The cocktails aren't included in the cheaper alcoholic packages, so I'd have to pay $65 a day, and I'm going for 14 days, so that's $910! I'm traveling alone, and not inclined to drink all day, so I'll take the free water/coffees/OJ, and buy a cocktail/glass of wine as I feel like it.

The MSC Allegrissimo package at €25 is much better value for the alcohol.

I've used http://www.cruiseescapes.com/ for the last few years, and am very happy with them.

This year I "foolishly" decided to go through the travel agent, and also let Royal Caribbean manage all the flights/hotel/transfers and cruise. I won't do that again. The cruise and transfers are grand, but you get no choice of hotel, and they keep messing around with the flights. If I'd just taken the cruise and transfers, I'd have got my choice of hotel and flights for the same price.

They've changed the flights twice already, and can keep changing them up to 10 days before departure.

• Advertisement

Our cabin on the MSC cruise slept the 4 of us comfortably. A double bed for us and a pull out one for the kids. Wouldn't have been comfortable with the kids in a separate cabin.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Our cabin on the MSC cruise slept the 4 of us comfortably. A double bed for us and a pull out one for the kids. Wouldn't have been comfortable with the kids in a separate cabin.

There are a variety of sleeping arrangements possible - the pull out bed, as finbarrk mentioned (essentially a sofa bed), or some ships/cabins have fold down bunks in the ceiling (during the day your cabin steward will make them up and fold them away).

Another alternative that I'd probably go for if I had kids of that age (and the money/choice) is to get two adjoining cabins. Double bed in one for parents, twin beds in the other for kids. The advantage is that you have 2 bathrooms (as the bathrooms usually aren't large enough for 2 people at once).

You can keep the connecting door open most of the time, but you can close it if the kids are asleep and parents want to watch some television.

A tip if this is your first time cruising: your room cards also act as a wallet of sorts, so the kids can charge things to the room just by swiping their cards. I've heard of problems in the past with kids running up huge bills on the video arcades. By going to customer services it's possible to limit the kids' cards to a daily spending limit. Or you can pre-load their cards with cash, so they can never spend more than that amount, or you can set a limit on their cards for the entire cruise.

If the kids have been saving for holiday spending money, you could load their spending money onto the card at the beginning (with maybe a top up if you feel generous ;)). If it's not spent you can get it back at the end of the trip. You can also monitor spending on each card from the tv in your stateroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭pink100

got a price today for the MSC Splendida, seems good, kids free apart from taxes in a balcony room.
    unsure about drinks package as we don't drink a lot but yet if the drink is expensive it might be worth it.
    good tip re card swipe for kids.
    Barcelona is the port going from

got a price today for the MSC Splendida, seems good, kids free apart from taxes in a balcony room.
    unsure about drinks package as we don't drink a lot but yet if the drink is expensive it might be worth it.

I did a transatlantic on MSC last year, and will see if I can dig out the drink prices. The Allegrissimo package wasn't available out of the US, but I remember it would have been worth it for me if it had. I generally had a few soft drinks (water/coke/OJ) during the day, a cocktail in the afternoon, and a glass of wine with dinner, with the odd drink after dinner depending on what was going on.

MSC also offered vouchers which were 12 drinks for the price of 10 - I think they were cans of soft drinks, or cocktails. You could share the vouchers with people (unlike the drinks package). I think they had something similar for beers as well, which were obviously cheaper than the cocktails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I did that cruise on the Splendida from Barcelona 2 years ago and had a great time.

Great ship, it's huge, we went in August.

I bought soft drink packages on board like already said 12 for 10.

We would normally have 1 or 2 bottles of wine with our meal (7pm sitting with kids, 9-930pm the other sitting) after that one or two cocktails would do, (€7-€9)

You are not allowed to bring alcohol onto the ship from shore, all bags are x rayed coming on board, ours were never checked but always had large bottles of soft drinks in them.:cool:

If you go for it, and I would, just to know that in our week we meet 5 other Irish people out of over 3500, apart from the 4 that we meet each night at our table.

Vast majority are Italian, Spanish, French so you have a real feel of being on a european holiday, other lines can be full of British and Americans, nothing wrong with that but not for me.

If you do book PM me for a few other tips.;)

As Thoie mentioned drinks price list, have one as a souvenir.

just as a guide,

Long neck beer €4.50-€5
    Spirits, Gin , Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, etc €4.90-€6.50. (40ml, compared to Irish 35.5ml)
    Can of Coke etc €2.70.
    Bottles of house wine from €16, Prosecco €22.

Anything you want the price of give me a shout.

The allegrissimo drinks offer will cost you €70 per day. That 2 adults and 2 kids. You wouldn't feel spending that over the day if you didn't have it, so I think it's worth getting it so you know the bill can't be over €490 at at the end of the cruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 faulty

Hey,
    It is possible to disembark the ship at an earlier port than the final destination?
    Eg, a 7 night cruise with MSC from Venice and returning to Venice, can we disembark in Dubrovnik (on the 6th day) and tour Croatia for a few days.

Cheers

faulty wrote: »
    Hey,
    It is possible to disembark the ship at an earlier port than the final destination?
    Eg, a 7 night cruise with MSC from Venice and returning to Venice, can we disembark in Dubrovnik (on the 6th day) and tour Croatia for a few days.

Cheers

The answer is "sometimes" - you need to agree it with the cruiseline well in advance. The main reason why you couldn't is that certain ports aren't set up for passenger customs and immigration. As well as that, the cruiseline needs to prepare your final bill separately (and manually) rather than as part of their bulk run on the final night.

If the customs and immigration piece is in place (which depends on the country and port), then the cruiseline will generally oblige, but they can't force the country to accept you. I think the lines get fined if the passenger manifest is incorrect (ie, you just jump ship), and if you don't tell them in advance it's a huge inconvenience for the entire ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 faulty

Hi Thoie,
    Cheers for your reply, that is very helpful.
    One last question, in terms of notifying the cruise ship, would we want to notify them as we are booking the cruise or when we board the cruiser. Suppose when we book?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I would imagine an email to the company should make it work out for you.

Advertisement