Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A view from the boundary - off-topic discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't think there can be much blame at the declaration. It was thought to be enough, everyone was thinking 200 was tricky enough. It was a gamble that the WI first innings was a once-off and wouldn't happen again.

Aside from WI deserving the win, England lost this in the first innings. 159 of the runs comes from two players. 99/8 amongst the rest, a supposedly deep lineup of batters. And Root and Stokes were both given chances early on.

England just rely far too heavily on Root, Stokes and Cook. If they don't get runs in tight games...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Fantastic few days for Test Cricket. Bangladesh and Australia going right to the wire.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Bangladesh beat Australia by 20 runs, hard for teams going to Dhaka these days.

Bangladesh first win ever over the Aussies.

Kieron Pollard was pretty sh*tty in the CPL on Monday, he bowled a huge no ball bouncer, denying Evin Lewis a shot at the second faster T20 ton of all time. I'd hope he gets a game ban or hefty fine, completely unsportsmanlike and bit of a prick move imo.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/41145541

From Twitter @coldwar_steve Random pic which made me laugh
    IMG_20170906_181018.jpg

Loved this game when I was younger and people didn't cheat with their field placings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Windies bowled out on Day 1 very cheaply, 123ao, England 10/1 in response, doesn't look easy to bat out there, a lot of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Yep. A day for the bowlers alright. England 4 down for bugger all

Derco wrote: »
    Yep. A day for the bowlers alright. England 4 down for bugger all

Probably be less bowler friendly tomorrow, so you'd fancy England to put together a 1st innings lead, who won the toss incidentally?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Probably be less bowler friendly tomorrow, so you'd fancy England to put together a 1st innings lead, who won the toss incidentally?

Windies I believe.

Windies I believe.

Defo a day to have a bowl as it turned out! Wrong choice I feel, with the power of hindsight ofc!

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Defo a day to have a bowl as it turned out! Wrong choice I feel, with the power of hindsight ofc!

Yeah, definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Forecast is for a washout tomorrow.

Forecast is for a washout tomorrow.

Probably the only way it'll get to day 4 let alone 5.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That partnership between Hope and Powell is looking better and better going from 22-2 to 78-2 before the collapse.

It was a very intriguing atmosphere in the last hour or so with WI fighting back. England will probably get one of their long line of batsmen to stick with Stokes. huge opportunity for Malan.

dfx- wrote: »
    That partnership between Hope and Powell is looking better and better going from 22-2 to 78-2 before the collapse.

It was a very intriguing atmosphere in the last hour or so with WI fighting back. England will probably get one of their long line of batsmen to stick with Stokes. huge opportunity for Malan.

Malan needs to take his opportunity before the winter tour.

There a great little documentary on guardian website about 3 young Afghans playing cricket in England.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/sep/07/second-innings-how-cricket-is-helping-three-afghan-boys-build-a-new-life-in-london?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1504784309

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Congratulations to Jimmy Anderson ( the Burnley Brian Lara ) for getting his 500th test wicket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

7/42, nice way to go through that landmark.

7/42, nice way to go through that landmark.

Yep, his best numbers in the test he takes his 500th wicket, chapeau sir! Shame it wasn't much of a contest, done and dusted in 2.5 days, a good toss to lose, if England had batted first it could well have been a different result. Good to see the Windies win the 2nd test anyways and show there is still some life in Carribean Test cricket!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

While we're on video highlights, thought I would throw this one in from the T20 finals day...

• Advertisement

Bit of English County Cricket "banter" after Warwickshire were relegated.

https://twitter.com/DurhamCricket/status/908730813272985601

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not looking good for Ben Stokes

Could face jail if convicted of causing actual bodily harm

Him and Alex Hayles are not going to be considered for selection for England pending an investigation

ECB statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm not that shocked to be honest - he always come across as someone who could be quick to get a bit tasty with you in the wrong circumstances!

I'm not that shocked to be honest - he always come across as someone who could be quick to get a bit tasty with you in the wrong circumstances!
    The BBC just went through his "record" which is a little "colourful" to say the least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He deserves jail for that to be honest, fight was over and he's lucky the guy isn't seriously hurt.

Some good jokes on reddit providing a silver lining though

https://streamable.com/2a26y

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Cricket programme on BBC News Channel & BBC Four over the next few days

Race and Pace: The West Indians in East Lancashire
    Sir Viv Richards, Sir Wes Hall and David Lloyd recall the impact West Indian players made on the Lancashire Cricket League over the last 90 years. A story of how initial reticence and racism turned into an unlikely cricketing love affair, which has had a huge impact on both sides of the Atlantic. 30 mins
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b097bl89

Saturday
    00:30
    BBC NEWS CHANNEL

Saturday
    20:30
    BBC NEWS CHANNEL

Sun 1 Oct 2017
    05:30
    BBC NEWS CHANNEL

Sun 1 Oct 2017
    16:30
    BBC NEWS CHANNEL

Mon 2 Oct 2017
    19:30
    BBC FOUR

Like he was a golfer with a case of the yips, or he's not great at this spot fixing lark :) (I joke of course). Mickey Arthur was not a happy camper.

https://twitter.com/TheCricketerMag/status/916780639688495105

England's women getting hammered in the Ashes. Aussies look way too strong this series with a young team as well, bodes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

He deserves jail for that to be honest, fight was over and he's lucky the guy isn't seriously hurt.

Some good jokes on reddit providing a silver lining though

https://streamable.com/2a26y
    Story now is he was defending two lads from abuse https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cricket/irishman-says-hero-ben-stokes-saved-him-and-pal-from-homophobic-attack-36269351.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1124714/are-t20-leagues-making-money

Interesting article. International T10 is starting in UAE in late December with Eoin Morgan captaining a team. That's as far away from being selected by England for the Ashes as you can get!

Advertisement