Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The return of Foals

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Chimera88

Wasn't sold on What Went Down but loving Mountain at My Gates, bit more texture to it, so my hopes are up now. Can't wait for the rest of the album, very handy of them to put it out on my birthday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

Total Life Forever is still one of my favourite ever albums

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Total Life Forever is still one of my favourite ever albums

Same here, it's a good bit better than Holy Fire imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Corholio wrote: »

Its a fabulous album.Very ethereal.I listen to it in full once a week id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Holy Fire was dire IMO. As I listened to it over and over I realized it just is not a good record. Antidotes was epic for me, so raw. TLF is just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Holy Fire was dire IMO. As I listened to it over and over I realized it just is not a good record. Antidotes was epic for me, so raw. TLF is just as good.

Really?? I think the second half of holy fire is some of the best stuff they have written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Very excited for this album, first three songs are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Album is out now today, just started giving it a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Looking forward to listening to this on the way the home.

Any predictions for an Irish gig?
    2 nights in the Oympia maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Looking forward to listening to this on the way the home.

Any predictions for an Irish gig?
    2 nights in the Oympia maybe?

I would assume they wont do the usual 2 nights in the Academy, probably a bit too big for that now. So I'd say 2 nights in the Olympia Feb/March and then playing either Longitude or Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

A tad over produced. Starting to sound very polished by comparison to earlier material. Has all the sound of a band that had a lot of money and too much time in the studio. A good album, but not their best.

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    A tad over produced. Starting to sound very polished by comparison to earlier material. Has all the sound of a band that had a lot of money and too much time in the studio. A good album, but not their best.

Won't decide fully yet until a few more listens but I'm tending to agree on the over produced bit. Lot of the songs structures are quite formulaic, especially compared to the earlier albums before Holy Fire. Won't judge fully though until a few more songs start sinking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    A tad over produced.

What do you mean? In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 therabbittest

The new album is probably their most forgettable for me. A few great tracks, but nothing as standout as on the previous albums.

Maybe it'll grow on me

Looking forward to seeing them in the Marquee in Cork on Tuesday.

They seem to be playing 'Snake Oil' as the opener at their gigs, which for me is a strange choice, I'm not that gone on the song and even less so as an opener. They played 'Cassius' for the first time in years about a week ago in Slovakia, so maybe tiny chance of that appearing. It's a shame that a lot of the TLF setlist seems to have been replaced by the later album stuff, only 'Spanish Sahara' and less so 'Total Life Forever' seem to survive in setlists these days. What I wouldn't give to hear 'Alabaster' again, even though there's zero chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Looking forward to seeing them in the Marquee in Cork on Tuesday.

They seem to be playing 'Snake Oil' as the opener at their gigs, which for me is a strange choice, I'm not that gone on the song and even less so as an opener. They played 'Cassius' for the first time in years about a week ago in Slovakia, so maybe tiny chance of that appearing. It's a shame that a lot of the TLF setlist seems to have been replaced by the later album stuff, only 'Spanish Sahara' and less so 'Total Life Forever' seem to survive in setlists these days. What I wouldn't give to hear 'Alabaster' again, even though there's zero chance.

Glasto set was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Cracking show in Cork.

Not a huge change in the set from the recent shows but 'Cassius' got a roll out. Yannis said it was just the third time in 6 years - probably an exaggeration but I was thrilled to see it.

Mainly a mix of the first and fourth albums oddly - Cassius, Red Socks, Two Steps and Olympic Airways all played on the night, just Spanish Sahara from TLF which was the only let down.

All Tvvins in support were excellent too.

Cracking show in Cork.

Not a huge change in the set from the recent shows but 'Cassius' got a roll out. Yannis said it was just the third time in 6 years - probably an exaggeration but I was thrilled to see it.

Mainly a mix of the first and fourth albums oddly - Cassius, Red Socks, Two Steps and Olympic Airways all played on the night, just Spanish Sahara from TLF which was the only let down.

All Tvvins in support were excellent too.

'Cassius' was played in Slovakia a week or so back and was first time since 2011 it was played. It was a nice surprise and fantastic live which is odd they don't bring it out too often. I don't get 'Snake Oil' as an opener but was still solid enough, everything else was fantastic. Agreed on TLF, it's a shame it's been sawed off the setlists now.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tipptipp

crowd where poor tho ,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

So, Foals are back. New single is 'What Went Down', same name as the album.

Personally, I don't particularly like it. I think the people who have always wanted the heavier Foals will like it but for me they are losing their sound. I initially liked 'Holy Fire' but it's been my least listened to Foals album and I have a much less favourable view of it now. This track sounds like a very by the numbers rock song, no interesting riff or Foals sonic virtuoso to be found. Never been a fan of Yannis's shouty lyrics either.

Reviving this thread. It's been a while since I've binged on Foals purely on the how such poor their new material is. It's even put me off their gigs.

I'd agree with your view Corholio. I find the last two albums incredibly bland and over-produced. They've got a much bigger fan base I guess now anyway which is great for them.

For me after giving TLF a few listens lately I must say it's a classic, really magic stuff. Up there with my favourites. Now if they had a TLF anniversary tour or Antidotes that would be worth making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Reviving this thread. It's been a while since I've binged on Foals purely on the how such poor their new material is. It's even put me off their gigs.

I'd agree with your view Corholio. I find the last two albums incredibly bland and over-produced. They've got a much bigger fan base I guess now anyway which is great for them.

For me after giving TLF a few listens lately I must say it's a classic, really magic stuff. Up there with my favourites. Now if they had a TLF anniversary tour or Antidotes that would be worth making.

A few nice 10-year anniversary album gigs should be coming up for lots of bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Valerie Matthews

Does anybody know when they will realize a new album?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Does anybody know when they will realize a new album?

New album is out next year at some stage haven't seen a date for it yet but they are touring as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

really like the latest offerings
    typical foals but sounding great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

really like the latest offerings
    typical foals but sounding great

Thought Sunday was a big jump into a different sound myself, but definitely a theme across the 3 so far, roll on summer gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

hots wrote: »
    Thought Sunday was a big jump into a different sound myself, but definitely a theme across the 3 so far, roll on summer gigs!

oops, haven't heard that one, just Exits & On the luna
    ill give it a spin, cheers

Yannis 'sings' a bit more on 'Sunday' but I don't think it's too vastly different from slow songs on previous Foals albums. I like everything I've heard so far, 'On The Luna' is absolutely superb.

Listened to the album a few times already and I absolutely love it. Big step up from the last two imo. They go all sorts of places on here. It's like a mixture of all the best stuff they've done without the songs that felt kind of hollow. 'Cafe d'Athens' is hypnotising to listen to. 'White Onions' and 'In Degrees' are going to sound unreal live, Yannis's understated delivery on some songs suits them so well without forced throaty stuff that there was on previous albums. 'Syrups' didn't catch me on first listen but it blends in to your listening after a few spins and I find it really good now.

'Im Done With The World (And it's Done With Me) is a beautiful closer as well. Much better than the likes of 'Moon' and I prefer it to 'A Knife in the Ocean' as well. Again, Yannis's delivery is on another level on this album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was really hoping they'd do this but honestly I didn't think it would happen. This could be their best album imo, I've listened to it a few times in full now and it's really really excellent. So varied and the production is amazing. I always knew they had it in them.

Advertisement