Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** QUESTIONS *** All non specific gig questions in here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You can go directly to the ticketmaster site. You can't get tickets through agents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Ok here's the deal.

If you have a question or query about, for example, how do i get to x venue. What time do the bars close? Are they strict on ID? Is there parking nearby.
    etc. You post in here. Any new thread about a non specifc gig will be locked and depending on mod time may be moved in here.

Hope this help. Feedback by PM.

Getting on Guest List for gigs?

How does this work generally? do you have a good chance if you write for a well-known publication? anyone in the know about this kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

As long as its a publication relevant to the kind of gig you can usually ring up the organizers and get on the list. All the bands have a small allotment on the guest list for friends as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If you work for a publication you have a 10x better chance of getting on the list through the PR company dealing wit the event than wit the band themselves, unless you go directly through the bands management.

Also, if you're publication is a large one, make sure that nobody else from there has applied for passes as that's a surefire way for the PR company to deny you, they'll normally only issue 1 set of credentials per publication, may be more for large outdoor gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Toast

If you are an average joe I find subscribing to the various twitters/myspaces/facebooks etc of promoters will also give you a good chance of picking up the odd few freebies. You'd be surprised how few people enter a lot of the competitions that are run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Anyone who's disabled been to the O2? No disabled parking apparently so it'd be a taxi to it but what do you do when you want to get home? Where's the nearest taxi rank? Says something on their website about the area being a car-free zone. When we went to a gig in Kilmainham last year the police wouldn't let the taxi we'd ordered in anywhere near the place so he just left and we were stranded for ages. Any info? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Iospir wrote: »
    Anyone who's disabled been to the O2? No disabled parking apparently so it'd be a taxi to it but what do you do when you want to get home? Where's the nearest taxi rank? Says something on their website about the area being a car-free zone. When we went to a gig in Kilmainham last year the police wouldn't let the taxi we'd ordered in anywhere near the place so he just left and we were stranded for ages. Any info? Thanks.

the police won't stop cars driving around the O2 which is where the taxis will drop you off. Your other option would be to get the luas down to the O2

I used to do some music journalism as a hobby and all you have to do is talk to the band's pr people. Usually they have no problem handing out guest list passes as long as you are representing a magazine or website. They are also the people to talk to about getting an interview with the band before/after a gig.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ok here's the deal.

If you have a question or query about, for example, how do i get to x venue. What time do the bars close? Are they strict on ID? Is there parking nearby.
    etc. You post in here. Any new thread about a non specifc gig will be locked and depending on mod time may be moved in here.

Hope this help. Feedback by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

O2 Priority tickets. Whats the deal? I have one for the Maiden gig next week and its standing GA ticket. My mate bought his in Ticketmaster normal Standing GA ticket...whats the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Toast

None. The only difference is when the tickets go on sale. Typically O2 customers get a shot at a limited pool of tickets a couple of days before the general public for gigs in the O2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

im just wondering is there padding on the barriers of the 02??? some places dont and my god they fcuking hurt , i had 2 cracked ribs before from no padding im just wondering :)

:S:S:S:S really? i tried that and it hurt like sh*t !! i thinks its stupid that they dont have padding !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

Hi,

I'm going to a gig soon in the 02 just wondering if anybody knows somewhere cheap and safe thats not too far from the venue. Jurys on custom house is really expensive as it's a weekend gig.

Your help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Hi,

I'm going to a gig soon in the 02 just wondering if anybody knows somewhere cheap and safe thats not too far from the venue. Jurys on custom house is really expensive as it's a weekend gig.

Your help would be appreciated!

"The quality" just around the corner from Sir john Rogersons is nice, loads on street parking & pretty reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What gig ya goin to?

Checked out The Gibson Hotel, it's next door to The Point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Isn't the 02 itself now a Hotel? Do they give discounts to people who are going to concerts at the 02 Venue. If they don't, they should!

You should also try the Gate Hotel, or whatever it is, above Fibbers. It's not as bad as people think really because when I was there it was quite secure and the rooms were nice. If you know Dublin it isn't a long walk to the 02 and actually, come to think about it, with the LUAS extension it's now even shorter to get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

This was posted on another thread yesterday.€60 a night.

The Gibson Hotel has a special offer at the moment - I got an email about it, it is part of the Clarion Group and is located beside the O2 (I think) -

http://www.thegibsonhotel.ie/60-rate...byclickinghere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

hitman79 wrote: »
    This was posted on another thread yesterday.€60 a night.

The Gibson Hotel has a special offer at the moment - I got an email about it, it is part of the Clarion Group and is located beside the O2 (I think) -

http://www.thegibsonhotel.ie/60-rate...byclickinghere

Yeah its directly opposite it,a stones throw away

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ghostbusthat

I'm wondering how strict The Academy is on ID, specifically The Academy 2.
    Would they accept a colour photocopy of my passport as ID?

• Advertisement

I've been to a good few gigs in the Academy where people were not let in due to not having valid id but it all depends on how young you look and who you are with.

I don't know anywhere in Ireland that would take a photocopy of a passport, most places won't even take an out of date passport as id.

Dermo wrote: »
    I've been to a good few gigs in the Academy where people were not let in due to not having valid id but it all depends on how young you look and who you are with.

I don't know anywhere in Ireland that would take a photocopy of a passport, most places won't even take an out of date passport as id.
    Ah right, well i'm 17, and i'm pretty sure I don't look that young. The annoying thing is, this gig is 3 weeks before i'm 18, and it's my favourite band that's playing.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Every time i've been to an over 18's gig in The Academy, they've pretty much ID'ed everyone who looked under 20.

Then again, you might be lucky.
    Well I don't look 17, but I dunno if I look 20. I'm gonna chance it anyway. Thanks for your help!

iv been at over 18 gigs before and i seen younger ones getting in a served etc

i get served in the o2 and dont get asked for id :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

A V A wrote: »
    iv been at over 18 gigs before and i seen younger ones getting in a served etc

i get served in the o2 and dont get asked for id :S

The first time I was there was when The Mighty Boosh were playing, and the bar was 21s, and they asked everyone.

didnt ask me

yes i have only bought 2 at each gigs . . . . . . .a pint in there could buy me a new phone :)hahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

I get served in off licences, shops, bars etc without getting asked but I got asked going into a gig in the Academy2 a few months back. A lot of people who looked older than me did too.

Having said that, if it was my favourite band, I'd chance it. If you hang around the door if yer turned away chances are one of the lads on the door will tell ya to go on in. That's happened me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Roughly how many people can the academy fit?

• Advertisement

barrier question about the o2 (again)

is the barrier far away from the stage in the o2?? and is it high up?

Advertisement