Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk Talk / Mark Hollis

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Damn :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I listened to Colour of Spring three times over the weekend- having just bought it on vinyl in Freebird last week. Terrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

RIP. Love Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Two albums unlike anything else I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Awful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

There was always the vague hope of something new - sadly not to be. The pop stuff was great and the later work was pure genius. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

He was only 64. Particularly sad as he'd retired from music to live a quiet life with his family.

Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are rightly lauded as groundbreaking albums, but I also think The Colour of Spring is as good an alt-rock album as any released in the 80s. If you haven't seen it, check out their performance at the Montreux festival from 1986 on YouTube, they were a cracking live band and Hollis is a great vocalist/frontman.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Where’s a good place to start with Talk Talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Where’s a good place to start with Talk Talk?

the "Natural History" compilation is a good chronological summary of their career.

of their actual albums, probably "The Colour of Spring" which is the midpoint between their poppy early material and the more experimental direction they went in afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Damn I was sure when his family were raised we would here from him again.
    A great loss, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Brilliant band. Condolences to his family and hopefully this opens his work up to more people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watched their performance at the Montreux festival from 1986 on YouTube over the weekend.

Its just a fantastic concert with some brilliant performances.

Advertisement