Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-10-2015, 11:21   #2356
Insect Overlord

I've actually managed to read a few books this year! All of them in the last few months, and all of which I'd read before at one time or another, but all absolutely worth a second read.

Most recent was "The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon. Very, very cleverly done. Inspired me to start practising square and cube numbers in my head again.

Before that was "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. I think he won the Nobel Prize for Literature for that one. Feels like a quick and easy read, but really stays with you.

I started with Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness", the tale of a sailor's journey on a merchant vessel deep into the 'horror' of exploitation of the Belgian Congo around the turn of the last century. Also inspired most of the plot for the film Apocalypse Now. For a book with little over 100 pages it takes ages to get through, but some of Conrad's phrases and sentences are flawless, brilliant.

I'm halfway through "The Picture of Dorian Gray" now. Never managed to finish this book before. Will report back here whenever I get it done!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2016, 12:43   #2357
wnolan1992

I read the first book I've completed for about 4+ years over Christmas. Downloaded the Kindle app to my tablet and got a free trial of Kindle Unlimited.

I read "Medieval: Blood of the Cross" by K.M. Ashman. I'm torn on it. It caught my attention, and I read the entire thing in like 2 days (which is pretty quick for me since I read at a rather slow pace). I found the plot really engaging, and it had me thinking it was going somewhere incredibly stereotypical but diverted at the last minute to somewhere far more entertaining.

But, there were a few glaring plotholes, at times the style of dialogue veers erratically between fitting in with the 13th Century setting and the modern day which is jarring, and towards the end it felt like he was just trying to wrap things up, and the dramatic climax you would have expected just never comes. The story builds up, peaks, calms, begins to build up again and then just has a mundane ending.

That said, it was still enjoyable, and I've begun reading the second book in the series called "Medieval: In Shadows of Kings".

SIDE NOTE: Anyone here subscribe to Kindle Unlimited? Is it worth the price? I have a 30 day free trial now, so will test it out during January. I want to read more, but I don't want to spend 10 plus quid a pop on books that I may or may not read y'know?
28-05-2016, 18:17   #2358
Insect Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by An File View Post
I'm halfway through "The Picture of Dorian Gray" now. Never managed to finish this book before. Will report back here whenever I get it done!
I still haven't finished this.

My objective for the summer is to read a load of Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. I read the opening chapters of "A Farewell to Arms" last weekend, so hopefully I'll make a proper dent in it this weekend.
30-05-2016, 15:58   #2359
wnolan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnolan1992 View Post
I read the first book I've completed for about 4+ years over Christmas. Downloaded the Kindle app to my tablet and got a free trial of Kindle Unlimited.

I read "Medieval: Blood of the Cross" by K.M. Ashman. I'm torn on it. It caught my attention, and I read the entire thing in like 2 days (which is pretty quick for me since I read at a rather slow pace). I found the plot really engaging, and it had me thinking it was going somewhere incredibly stereotypical but diverted at the last minute to somewhere far more entertaining.

But, there were a few glaring plotholes, at times the style of dialogue veers erratically between fitting in with the 13th Century setting and the modern day which is jarring, and towards the end it felt like he was just trying to wrap things up, and the dramatic climax you would have expected just never comes. The story builds up, peaks, calms, begins to build up again and then just has a mundane ending.

That said, it was still enjoyable, and I've begun reading the second book in the series called "Medieval: In Shadows of Kings".

SIDE NOTE: Anyone here subscribe to Kindle Unlimited? Is it worth the price? I have a 30 day free trial now, so will test it out during January. I want to read more, but I don't want to spend 10 plus quid a pop on books that I may or may not read y'know?
I ended up reading the entire series of 3-4 books (can't quite remember). Decent enough set of books, but I was deeply unhappy with how some storylines were sort of just dropped.

For instance Spoiler: a guy falls in love with a girl, they're basically living together for ages, then your man gets the urge to go off on a sea voyage for 2 years. While he's away, she's convicted of murder and hung. Your man never mentions this on his return. Ever.

And that's just one example. The final ending of the series was utter crap tbh.

Haven't read anything since then though, and I uninstalled the Kindle app.
31-07-2016, 22:14   #2360
pajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajor View Post
I think (outside of any religious sense) Atticus is the personification of all that is possibly good in the world.

Which is why I can't stand the idea of him being a bigot. But I have just ordered the book online. Should have it in a couple of days.
I must admit I only finished reading this several days ago. Just realised that the book sat on a chair beside the bed for nearly a year gathering dust. I just didn't really want to read it. But we were on holidays camping so I plowed on with it. The only conclusion I can come up with is that its thoroughly disturbing. I did enjoy the character of Uncle Jack though.

Currently reading Journey Under the Midnight Sun by Keigo Higashino. Bought it in a German bookshop, when I had finished the above. About half way through. It's very confusing, complicated but marvellous. The worst of human nature written down on paper.

I will not be buying any Harry Potter scripts.
Advertisement
06-08-2016, 16:57   #2361
parkerpen

Just finished reading a couple of Sidney Sheldon books. I would recommend him as an author. Lots of suspense. The kind of books you don'r want to put down.
06-08-2016, 17:12   #2362
LoonyLovegood
#firstworldproblems

Picked up a copy of Kate Leth's Hellcat AKA Patsy Walker in Hodges Figgis last week. I love Kate Leth.
27-08-2016, 22:23   #2363
MissD93

girls on fire just ruined my life
13-03-2017, 15:37   #2364
Insect Overlord

Read the first few chapters of Hemingway's "Fiesta:The Sun Also Rises". Must get back into that.

I never did finish "A Farewell to Arms" either!
Advertisement
13-03-2017, 15:43   #2365
gimli2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by An File View Post
Read the first few chapters of Hemingway's "Fiesta:The Sun Also Rises". Must get back into that.

I never did finish "A Farewell to Arms" either!
As a pretentious teenager I decided I really needed to read more classics. Struggled through A Farewell to Arms but the ending was absolutely brilliant. This really motivated me and I started in on War and Peace. Threw that away after about 50 pages and just read Watership Down again.
Thanks from:
13-03-2017, 16:05   #2366
Junco Partner

I was making my way through War and Peace until I left it behind on a bus . Not worth the effort buying it again. It's heavy .
02-10-2017, 23:10   #2367
Insect Overlord

I dug out some old books today.

Now I have to decide if I should read "The Táin" first, or start "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" again. I may just alternate between the two for a few months.
29-04-2018, 15:04   #2368
Insect Overlord

I've been reading a lot of poetry recently. The Limerick Writers' Centre ran their annual festival, April Is Poetry Month In Limerick, with its biggest bill of events ever. I volunteered at a couple of the events and attended a few others and got to hear some amazing ideas.

Picked up some of the poetry anthologies published by the Writers'Centre over the last few months and read three of them this week.

"It's A Queer City: All the Same" was edited by Shane Vaughan and released for Limerick Pride in 2016. It's a collection of poems and stories inspired by questions of sexuality, gender, and identity, featuring a mixture of straight and lgbtq+ writers.

"River People" was edited by Ron Carey and released late in 2017 after he ran a series of creative writing workshops for older writers. Some pieces are memories of times gone by, others are works of fiction, and some of the poems are excellent too.

"Voices from the Cave" is an anthology of poems about addiction and recovery. It was edited by Dominic Taylor and Ron Carey and released just under a year ago. Very powerful stuff.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion