Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soundtrack To Your Angst

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Anything by Placebo.

I used to listen to a lot on Placebo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

well right now i'm listening to my new album by chip bailey :) loving the cheese grater & whisk goodness :) but the cure is always good if it's angst you're looking for...

Hey hey hey.

The Cure are NOT angsty!

They're deep and mediative, but NOT angsty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »

I used to listen to a lot on Placebo

Oddly I only started listening to Placebo in TY, when I was probably the happiest I had ever been (That comparing to 3rd year, not after 4th year)

My musical past:

3-4th class:Bon Jovi, Abba, really cheesy stuff.

4th Class (Mark two, when i was the correct age to start in my current school): Limp Bizkit (Shudder)

5-6th and 1st year: Linkin Park and little else

2nd year: The discovery of Limwire (Which I in no way condone now)-Metallica, Slipknot, Manson, that kinda stuff, the lead up to a fairly big depressive episode which lasted most of 3rd year.

3rd Year: Alanis Morrisette, all of 2nd year. Adding Emo to the list :s MCR Hawthorne Heights that kinda stuff. After the mocks I attend my first gig with a new found friend, life suddenly starts looking up :D

4th - 6th: Taste progressively get heavier, and yet lighter at the same time. Emperor session after a couple of Regina Spektor tracks

And there, is my life story:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Hey hey hey.

The Cure are NOT angsty!

They're deep and mediative, but NOT angsty!

lol woops... I spose i don't actually listen to anything angsty... I meant good music that is good for a deep meditative 'thinky' (thoughtful? no!) mood. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Lionel Richie,he suppresses angst. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

donmeister wrote: »
    Lionel Richie,he suppresses angst. :p

And if we're learn anything is that the suppression of teens only ever leads to good things.

Haha Greenday yes, but MGMT? Far too happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Karson Some Marlin

Listening to housemate drunkenly singing "god rest ye merry gentlemen".

For people doing the leaving, this is the reality of college life.

If ye live with religious people who like to drink

• Advertisement

I've also been going around the house singing Christmas Carols, they're like the opposite of angsty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

I've also been going around the house singing Christmas Carols, they're like the opposite of angsty!

Stereo in the common room has Christmas Carols BLARING a welcome change form the one rap CD they was in there prior to that. Never have carols been so upsetting though.

We have a tree in the common room though, a real one, and presents under the tree, and fake snow, they maybe cúnts but they went all out decorating.

That is actually adorable that a guys school did that! We had some awful dance mix blaring in our common room but my friend made an amazing CD mix which everyone in the year loves so that keeps everyone happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i bop along to queen daily
    kind of angst-killing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I listen to many things from High School Musical to MCR to Billy Joel and everyone in between. It's a little odd but I have at least one song to go with every mood i have!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anything by Placebo.

I only opened this thread to mention Placebo, and it had already been mentioned! I'm getting too predictable in my old age :P
    Haha Greenday yes, but MGMT? Far too happy!
    Greenday, while not angsty, were a long-term feature of my teenage music collection. The only better band for teenagers was Blink 182, and The Offspring deserve an honourable mention too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The Offspring are in a completely different league to Greenday or Blink 182.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Fad wrote: »
    Oddly I only started listening to Placebo in TY, when I was probably the happiest I had ever been (That comparing to 3rd year, not after 4th year)

placebo are awesome. makes questioning your sexuality totally legit, and i just can't argue with that immortal opening line... 'alcoholic kinda mood...'.

<3
    3-4th class:Bon Jovi, Abba, really cheesy stuff.

bon jovi are top class cheese. livin on a prayer, and it's my life are classics. total hairbrush singalongs ;)

abba, on the other hand, is unforgivable.

and has been forced on me for the last 3 weeks.

my god, i hate my work. it makes most of my music irrelevant for getting my own back. something not quite right about playing rage against the machine's self titled (first) album to 0-4 year olds. (**** you i wont do what you tell me ... is not the kinda thing i wana teach the kids im trying to control :D).
    4th Class (Mark two, when i was the correct age to start in my current school): Limp Bizkit (Shudder)

5-6th and 1st year: Linkin Park and little else

oh man, i remember that. limp bizkit... when chocolate starfish and hot dog flavoured water came out, yeah?

nad linkin park were the band that introduced me to music. back when mtv sitll played music, the summer between 6th class and 1st year, i saw crawling on mtv, and went 'wow'.... then i remember papa roach's 'between angels and insects' being on about the same time. and P.O.D's 'alive', and me just sitting there in front of the tv (no remote control, had to sit straight in front of it to change channels), and was just amazed! it was all just breathtaking and WOW for me. long story short... linkin park ended up supporting metallica, i fell in love, and the entire history of metal and the whole genre was laid out in front of me,and i fell in love.

\
    though it must be said, i spent my teenage years struggling with an eating disorder/depression/blahblahblah, but the song of their meteor album, 'breaking the habit', was my teenage song... that's the one that stands out to me... saved my life. was the motivation towards fighting and not giving up and facing the habit and addiction and all that blah. <3 linkin park.

after a coupla years of moving on musically.. i saw linkin park and papa roach at rock am ring in germany summer 07, ... and cried. spontaneously. from nowhere.

twas so weird. /ramble.
    2nd year: The discovery of Limwire (Which I in no way condone now)-Metallica, Slipknot, Manson, that kinda stuff, the lead up to a fairly big depressive episode which lasted most of 3rd year.

manson, i've never gotten massively into... but slipknot and 'tallica, are just made for all moods, bar depression. too energetic, too much *anger*. anything from volume 3: the subliminal verses, just... whoooarrrr... awesomeness.

eVeNtInE wrote: »

green day, partiuclarly their older stuff, is awesome. basket case! shall forever remind me of 6th year, the school counsellor coming in and giving us this whole spiel, but towards the beginning she mentioned that 'if we opt to go to counselling, people wont think of us as basket cases'.

and that was the end of that. i spent the rest of the class trying to remember every word to basket case. next class was maths. spent that class trying to remember it too. that song shall forever remind me of counselling teacher + maths class.
    fonpokno wrote: »
    I listen to many things from High School Musical to MCR to Billy Joel and everyone in between. It's a little odd but I have at least one song to go with every mood i have!

whatever about the rest of the tripe you've mentioned there...

billy joel is awesome.

the greatest song ever? 'it's still rock'n'roll' to me'.

man, that song is sooooo relevant on so many level.s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Oh, this song, and the whole album really was one of the main things which got me through angst when I was younger (and now :p ):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh god... are you trying to get me into a ramble...

amazing band, amazing song...a nd the bloke they got to replace jerry cantrell...
    amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Smashing pumpkins

Bullet with butterfly wings

Placebo

pure morning

Slipknot

Duality

Rage Against the Machine

Bulls on parade

System of a down

BYOB

bah I am going stop:D

Jaysus half the music on this thread is awful rubbish altogether :P

Then again my favourite music is something I can dance to, and not music that makes me "feel" anything, so I can't really talk about angsty songs!

Blink 182 are awful, hate the singer's nasally voice, it's so annoying cos nearly all my friends love them and play them at EVERY party.

abba, on the other hand, is unforgivable.

oh man, i remember that. limp bizkit... when chocolate starfish and hot dog flavoured water came out, yeah?

nad linkin park were the band that introduced me to music. back when mtv sitll played music, the summer between 6th class and 1st year, i saw crawling on mtv, and went 'wow'.... then i remember papa roach's 'between angels and insects' being on about the same time. and P.O.D's 'alive', and me just sitting there in front of the tv (no remote control, had to sit straight in front of it to change channels), and was just amazed! it was all just breathtaking and WOW for me. long story short... linkin park ended up supporting metallica, i fell in love, and the entire history of metal and the whole genre was laid out in front of me,and i fell in love.

\
    though it must be said, i spent my teenage years struggling with an eating disorder/depression/blahblahblah, but the song of their meteor album, 'breaking the habit', was my teenage song... that's the one that stands out to me... saved my life. was the motivation towards fighting and not giving up and facing the habit and addiction and all that blah. <3 linkin park.

manson, i've never gotten massively into... but slipknot and 'tallica, are just made for all moods, bar depression. too energetic, too much *anger*. anything from volume 3: the subliminal verses, just... whoooarrrr... awesomeness.

Abba and Limp Bizkit are two I am genuinely ashamed to have ever liked, that said, they helped form the taste I have now.

I still listen to Linkin Park, But I only ever really listen to the Reanimation album, and the new stuff is just horrendous.

And for the whole anger thing, I'm a great believer in positive aggression "Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean." Forget who said it though. But it kinda explains why I like a lot of metal (well Hardcore stuff), no excuse for the more extreme stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

First album I ever bought was Divine Comedy Fin de Sicile - what a ****ing good decision,
    I then proceeded to buy Nine Inch Nails The Fragile and Americana by The Offspring, and while I've bought hundreds of album's since then I have to say that these 3 would be still in my top 10.

Number 1 though, At The Drive-In's Relationship of command, listening to it is ****ing vital to my existence.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Nine Inch Nails The Fragile

At The Drive-In's Relationship of command.

If I ever have kids they are getting these albums! (Though I prefer the Downward Spiral for NIN, its less messy, and it has Hurt which is like the ultimate song ever.)

Ghosts (bar a few songs) wouldnt be too bad to give to a child........

Now this is angst: NB NSFW!

Ok I'll admit I love that song...:o

• Advertisement

^^
    hard not too :)

Radiohead -Creep

Advertisement