Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aphex Twin

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

^ take a break, you will get back to him :D

Speaking of SAW, check out this rare tune by Aphex...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D7rpo1xIy8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thats a sweet find! The beat "borrowed" from SAW fits in nicely.

RDJ with short hair just looks wrong.

Seeing as this seems to be an established RDJ/Warp/IDM thread, I'll mention that I got my hands on that "Warp - Labels Unlimited" book that was mentioned here a while back (by Felix I think?)

I've only had a flick through it so far but it looks great, lots of rare material, info on artists that's probably unavailable on the internet etc. I'll talk about it some more when I've read it and feel more coherent :pac:

It's a great track and does work very well. That whole compilation is excellent too -

http://www.discogs.com/release/51236

Yeah I mentioned before about the Warp book. An excellent book, haven't looked at it myself for a while now, must get back to it again.

Picked up this early interview with Aphex Twin on another site, an interesting read -

pt1 http://www.mediafire.com/?7nzmmtzdjnz

pt2 http://www.mediafire.com/?eyb1n8mynny

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Picked up this early interview with Aphex Twin on another site, an interesting read -

pt1 http://www.mediafire.com/?7nzmmtzdjnz

pt2 http://www.mediafire.com/?eyb1n8mynny

Aw bless, he looks so young there :D

Its an interesting read alright - he's more revealing about his methodology in that inteview then he has been in most since, still pretty esoteric stuff though. I didn't know SAW 85-92 was mastered on cassette tape, thats mad! It does have a unique sound which is nice and warm though, so no harm I suppose. Its funny, the music he was making back then was made using methodologies and equipment which are antiquated nowadays but that just makes it sound even more amazing today.

• Advertisement

Yeah he looks like a teenager in that picture, not far off it though I suppose!

I did read somewhere before alright that SAW was mastered on cassette. I really love the sound he created with that equipment and it is actually a sound I crave but rarely find these days. One recent gem of a discovery though was the following which I HIGHLY recommend :D

http://www.discogs.com/release/1007286

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=37153
    After four sellout twelves and a barrage of critical acclaim - Deepchord's full length Echospace excursion "The Coldest Season" is at long last available on CD and Download - featuring material not featured on the EP's and different versions of familiar tracks - all expertly blended and mastered by Rod Modell for your enjoyment. Produced using nothing but vintage analog equipment : Roland Space Echo, Echoplex, Korg tape delay, vintage signal processors, noise generators, Sequential Circuits 8 bit samplers & numerous analog synthesizers - this project goes back to the heady days of Berlin-based proto dub/techno variations, recorded and produced in Detroit and Chicago. Three of the worlds most important Techno cities colliding to form a whole that perfectly bridges the gap between The Motor City's emotive arrangements, The Windy city's percussive robustness, and Berlin's life-altering Basic Channel continuum. Listened to in one sitting, "The Coldest Season" chooses a different arrangement and track selection to slowly build up momentum and space - taking in the muted steppers reduction of "Abraxas" and the icy soundscaping of "Ocean Of Emptiness" before reaching a crescendo of sorts with the radiant techno of "Elysian" and the majestic dub killer "Empyrean" - the most revered track on board bringing this 80 minute album to a perfect close. Where Echospace go from here only time will tell - but for the moment "The Coldest Season" is a perfect distillation of dub techno and BASS reductions for 2007 and beyond. ESSENTIAL PURCHASE!

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and listened from start to finish. When it ended, I was actually sad it was over... a breath taking album.

OT, but I kept meaning to sign up for lastfm and did a couple of weeks ago but only got round to checking it out now. Seems a really cool site, I even added the signature here! Assuming it worked for me that is. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Last FM does indeed rawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i think Drukqs is his best stuff to date.
    Selected Ambient Works is worth a listen too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

You can all imagine my disgust when my copy of SAW went missing in work..
    Have the empty cd case here, but alas no disc..

Get 26 mixes for cash. Excellent album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

anyone know where to find a list of places he's playing in europe this year?
    cant seem to find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

He's playing Ireland in the festival that shall not be named.

Spunge wrote: »
    anyone know where to find a list of places he's playing in europe this year?
    cant seem to find anything.

I've been told that actual lists of the Twin's upcoming gigs are non-existent. I'd be most happy if someone corrected me on though... best bet is probably to keep an eye on relevant blogs, music news websites, etc

There is a copy of SAW in Freebird in Templebar for 7 euro :eek: Nearly bought it myself just to have another copy but that would be greedy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Felixdhc wrote: »
    There is a copy of SAW in Freebird in Templebar for 7 euro :eek: Nearly bought it myself just to have another copy but that would be greedy :pac:

Gonna get my mate in Dub to snap that up, cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

I'm a massive Aphex Twin fan, but I must say I thought drukqs was the biggest pile of self-indulgent **** I've ever heard. I genuinely believe he was taking the piss with that album.

Anyway, yeah Ventolin is a bit harsh on the tympanic membrane alright, but some of the remixes, on Disc 1 and 2, are fantastic. Same goes for On

Donkey Rhubarb is well worth picking up as well. Love that video!

mwnger wrote: »
    I'm a massive Aphex Twin fan, but I must say I thought drukqs was the biggest pile of self-indulgent **** I've ever heard. I genuinely believe he was taking the piss with that album.

drukqs is probably my favourite Aphex album but lets not fall out over it ;) It wasn't a typical Aphex album but then again there's no such thing. I don't think self-indulgence necessarily makes a piece of music bad either, if he was being self-indulgent. There are a lot of things I love about drukqs - the prepared piano, the musique concrete, the incredibly intricate programming, the pretty piano pieces. Its the sort of album where reading about its production and the influences behind it makes you appreciate it even more. Each to their own though.

I have been totally put off buying drukgs as a result of various opinions I have heard. Must get it and see for myself. Although I have overdone Aphex of late, had Chosen Lords and Analogue Bubblebath 3 on too much in the car lately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Drukqs is ok. Theres a lot of stuff on there that just isn't worth listening too. There are a few gems on there though. Almost all the piano stuff is great and there are some nice breakcore tracks as well. The problem is sometimes each mellow piano track will be followed by a really frantic loud track. Totally offsets the mood I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

IS the new album of ambient songs any good? What could you compare the ambient stuff to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Morf wrote: »
    IS the new album of ambient songs any good? What could you compare the ambient stuff to?

Hear for yourself:

http://www.lastfm.com.tr/music/Aphex+Twin/Selected+Ambient+Works+85-92

I wouldn't call it ambient in the Brian Eno sense. It's more slowed down techno, with slow electro grooves, 808 rhythms and melodic synth leads, loads of reverb (to add "ambience" perhaps?).

Morf wrote: »

Its not actually new, its a re-release of the SAW album we've been referring to earlier in the thread (not SAW II). Its in the shops now, I actually just picked up a copy just now. Owenw's description of it is pretty accurate. Ambient techno is a good description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

i think drukqs is a mixed bag but over all its a good album, the heavier tracks sound amazing, really intricate programming, and some of the other ambient tracks are to me genuinely beautiful. but i must say my 2 favourite aphex albums are polygon window surfing on sine waves and caustic window joyrex compliation. they've got a very nice warm analogue sound to them like SAW85-92. and they've got some really hypnotic tracks. those to me are aphex's best sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 txomin

I'd recommend you get Drukqs, although as the previous poster mentioned, it's a mixed bag, and far inferior to Richard D James & ICBYD imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pluxus

aphex for <snip> :D he's gonna be daycent

Mod edit: No discussion of Aphex's upcoming Irish gig is allowed as per this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Selected Ambient Works and Classics reissues are out now, picked them up this afternoon (in an EPIC record buying spree). I haven't heard these at all before so I'm looking forward to listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Have had SAW 85-92 for months and have only started listening to them properly tonight (don't ban me!) Really enjoying it.

Been meaning to pick up the reissue of SAW, my original is looking a tad old now but plays fine... be nice to have a new shiny version :) Be interested to hear the remastered version also... in a nerdy anorak kinda way.

Daddio wrote: »
    Have had SAW 85-92 for months and have only started listening to them properly tonight (don't ban me!) Really enjoying it.

Reported. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I forgot how smashing "Digeridoo" is. I felt my mind dent earlier listening to it.

Advertisement