Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,766 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I’d agree to an extent but can see where he’s coming from. The sending off for example came from Tadhg hitting a quick free when Paudie was on his way out to hit it, Curran was beaten to possession Tipp launched it, broke through to Bonnar and he’s pulled down. Could have very well been a point to Waterford instead.
    The killer Tipp goal which has been mentioned plenty times came from a major, basic error between Tadhg and Philip in that both went for the same ball and it broke kindly for Tipp.
    Obviously that was at a crucial juncture in the game. Same with Curran’s shot rebounding out, that would have been a huge morale booster going in just before half time.
    It sounds silly given how the last 15 minutes played out, and given how sharp Tipp looked in the first half but it could have been very different with a few small things going our way.

Looking at some of our past games and its frustrating too think of the small things that could of made a big difference. Obv fans of every team can feel the same way its sport at the end of the day

A few things from the 2017 All Ireland final loss too Galway
    Jamie Barron not being 100% healthy
    C Gleeson been suspended
    That Moran missed point that would of put us 2 pts up

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking at some of our past games and its frustrating too think of the small things that could of made a big difference. Obv fans of every team can feel the same way its sport at the end of the day

A few things from the 2017 All Ireland final loss too Galway
    Jamie Barron not being 100% healthy
    C Gleeson been suspended
    That Moran missed point that would of put us 2 pts up

Agreed. And the missed free from 50m to go 3-4 up- all at a critical time.
    Hard to see how mgmt could have helped in this situation as it was poor decision making. Anyway, c’est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

PTH2009 wrote: »

Kearney is putting a brave face on the situation, as he must.

Fanning seems like a decent chap but obviously doesn't like the attention of being 'front and centre' ; overall, the management team is lightweight compared to other counties (Limerick,Tipperary, for instance .... however, they have serious financial backing).

Thought after the finish against Clare, that Waterford would put in a strong performance against Tipp but not for the first time, this Tipp side made hay against us. We're not as bad as made out last Sunday but still can't see Limerick losing (would love to be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

I hope everyone is shouting for Westmeath today v Kerry. The last thing we want at the end of this Munster championship is that if we finish bottom of the group and have to play Kerry to remain in the all Ireland series

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Deisefacts wrote: »
    I hope everyone is shouting for Westmeath today v Kerry. The last thing we want at the end of this Munster championship is that if we finish bottom of the group and have to play Kerry to remain in the all Ireland series

Actually with the ludicrous system we'd then only need to reach the final of the competition to get into a preliminary all ireland quarter final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Deisefacts wrote: »

Westmeath 2-16
    Kerry 1-21

Actually with the ludicrous system we'd then only need to reach the final of the competition to get into a preliminary all ireland quarter final

We would have a longer summer anyway

Even with today's win Kerry still have too beat Offaly and Laois too make the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

This thread is just one massive facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Checked other social media sites, no mention about anything in relation to the above rumours from anyone that actually has a face or a name which leads me to think it’s all bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Checked other social media sites, no mention about anything in relation to the above rumours from anyone that actually has a face or a name which leads me to think it’s all bollocks

Thank God ....so we are going to put a team out against Limerick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

What's the ticket situation like for next Sunday? Any likely to go back on general sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Westmeath v Waterford in the football qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Gardner

grimbergen wrote: »
    What's the ticket situation like for next Sunday? Any likely to go back on general sale?

there will be no problem with tickets for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

KevIRL wrote: »
    Westmeath v Waterford in the football qualifiers

Will more than likely be the 8th of June, same day as the hurlers play Cork, hate being negative but a strong possibility of both teams of both teams out of championship on that date

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Will more than likely be the 8th of June, same day as the hurlers play Cork, hate being negative but a strong possibility of both teams of both teams out of championship on that date

At least the footballers won a championship game last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

People keep referring to being out of the Championship in early June as if that in itself is a problem. If we beat Limerick and Cork then there is a very good chance we'll go deeper into the summer and we'll have earned that. Otherwise, what is the point of dragging things out? Let the players go back to their clubs/gallivanting around the States [delete as applicable].

deiseach wrote: »
    People keep referring to being out of the Championship in early June as if that in itself is a problem. If we beat Limerick and Cork then there is a very good chance we'll go deeper into the summer and we'll have earned that. Otherwise, what is the point of dragging things out? Let the players go back to their clubs/gallivanting around the States [delete as applicable].

As a supporter, I see it as a problem, it's a long summer without Waterford matches to look forward to and go to and club games more than likely will be played sporadically with none after the first weekend of July until late August. I want Waterford to do well, hence play in July and August

As a supporter, I see it as a problem, it's a long summer without Waterford matches to look forward to and go to and club games more than likely will be played sporadically with none after the first weekend of July until late August.

If Waterford lose and are out, I think they'd be better putting out a blanket notice that no senior or intermediate championship games will take place until the August bank holiday weekend.

Give everyone a chance to go on holidays, play a few league games in July, and then hurling and football on alternate weekends in August and September which would create a bit of rhythm for fans and players alike.

hardybuck wrote: »
    If Waterford lose and are out, I think they'd be better putting out a blanket notice that no senior or intermediate championship games will take place until the August bank holiday weekend.

Give everyone a chance to go on holidays, play a few league games in July, and then hurling and football on alternate weekends in August and September which would create a bit of rhythm for fans and players alike.

I totally agree but maybe play the round of the hurling cancelled in April in late June and give all players July off other than league games and aim to have all group games in senior hurling and football finished by the end of August. Last year, clubs tried to delay matches as they had players in America.

There would be plenty of time for all knockouts games to be completed in time for Munster.

tough draw for the footballers esp away from home. Westmeath are no world beaters but are a level above us. No doubt our guys will give it there best shot

Fight is something needed for next Sunday and we see Cork, Wexford showing great fight when there down. We need some of that quick both on the field and line

• Advertisement

As a supporter, I see it as a problem, it's a long summer without Waterford matches to look forward to and go to and club games more than likely will be played sporadically with none after the first weekend of July until late August. I want Waterford to do well, hence play in July and August
    We all want them to do well, but we're getting four games against high-quality opposition in proper hurling weather. I'd rather have them in quick succession than drag them out over the summer with players training for several weeks at a time with no matches to play. We're not owed matches in July and August.

We all want them to do well, but we're getting four games against high-quality opposition in proper hurling weather. I'd rather have them in quick succession than drag them out over the summer with players training for several weeks at a time with no matches to play. We're not owed matches in July and August.

Its hard too get used to the games in quick succession and imo preferred the late calendar as it dragged out the excitement of the Championship but can understand the reasons ie club players even if its farcical in areas (still having the mostly july/aug off anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Let the players go back to their clubs/gallivanting around the States [delete as applicable].

/ wait for a playoff against Kerry which would be played on the 13th of July at the earliest

/ wait for a playoff against Kerry which would be played on the 13th of July at the earliest

Ugh. Thanks for reminding me of that. There shouldn't be any playoff with Kerry. If they win the McDonagh Cup and we finish bottom of Munster, they should get promoted at our expense. This habit the GAA has of giving the strong second chances at the expense of the weak is outrageous.

I totally agree but maybe play the round of the hurling cancelled in April in late June and give all players July off other than league games and aim to have all group games in senior hurling and football finished by the end of August. Last year, clubs tried to delay matches as they had players in America.

There would be plenty of time for all knockouts games to be completed in time for Munster.

I'm a person who went off to play in the States myself, and it's ridiculous that I would have played about five times as many games over there than I would have played over the summer if I'd stayed home.

Games in August gives lads some ability to go away but you're not totally holding up a Championship for a few J1ers.

the under 20 hurlers (formally under 21 championship) play Tipp in the munster semi final on the 9th July in Thurles. Any news of the squad ?? any from the senior panel on it ?

Under 20 footballers face Clare in the Munster QF in Dungarvan on the 2nd July

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Ugh. Thanks for reminding me of that. There shouldn't be any playoff with Kerry. If they win the McDonagh Cup and we finish bottom of Munster, they should get promoted at our expense. This habit the GAA has of giving the strong second chances at the expense of the weak is outrageous.

Kerry has always been welcome to play in Munster and has done so sporadically over the years with very little success. They elected to play Christy Ring and it has been very good for them.

The reality is that every Munster county would have voted against the round robin system if there had been any possibility of relegation out of it, and rightly so. The compromise was a playoff. Playoffs make a lot of sense where the gulf between the divisions is huge. Can you imagine Kerry in the Munster round robin? I mean no disrespect to the hurling people of Kerry who are amazing in their dedication in a world dominated by the big ball, but honestly, it would be a complete joke. Even the current qualifier round is a bit of a non event. In fairness to Westmeath they gave wexford a reasonable contest last year, but the scoreline flatter them against a wexford running out a training session. Limerick, OTOH, obliterated Carlow by around 25 points or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Lads, Waterford and football!!! It's about time Waterford called it. The best players won't even tog out and even if they did they wouldn't get out of the bottom tier. Shocking waste of money that could be spent on hurling. Sure let the lads up the Nire, Stradbally and Kilrossanty play away at club level to their heart's content. They're not troubling anyone. But to be throwing away money that needs to be spent on hurling is appalling!

I would think suggesting that Waterford will still be in the hurling championship by June 8th is actually being quite positive

• Advertisement

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Lads, Waterford and football!!! It's about time Waterford called it. The best players won't even tog out and even if they did they wouldn't get out of the bottom tier. Shocking waste of money that could be spent on hurling. Sure let the lads up the Nire, Stradbally and Kilrossanty play away at club level to their heart's content. They're not troubling anyone. But to be throwing away money that needs to be spent on hurling is appalling!

I would please with posters not to be the ruination of the page for the next few days by taking the bait and responding to this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement