Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this may seem i'm stalking LollipopJimmy on bike maintenance tasks, but i recabled one of my bikes tonight.
    why - for the second time - did i not check to see if the gear cables were different lengths? thankfully i'd not fully indexed the front derailleur by the time i realised the cable to do the rear was too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Just a little work on the DR1. I added sealant for the first time. Also did the UV etching using a Datatag Stealth Pro kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

Hope this is ok to post here. First steps towards an n+1

480015.jpg

480014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Nice, what's the plan for it?

Did a good bit myself last night, swapped out the Sram Force for my Ultegra R8050, couldn't change the crank as wrong BB arrived but the Force is fine for now. Also changed the chain for a KMC. Handlebars and Stem are now Ritchey and I went with yellow brake cables. My frame actually would have had yellow cables from factory.

I did forget to buy bar tape so reused what I took off until I get some.

So Bar tape, BB and switch the crankset and a missing Di2 grommet is all that's left to do then its onto the next one.

I alternated between a number of different ideas, but sort of settled on a 1x7 knock around bike for going down the woods or town with the kids.

It'll be done on the smallest budget possible. Really it's just an excuse to tinker, so most anything that's reusable will be reused

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    I alternated between a number of different ideas, but sort of settled on a 1x7 knock around bike for going down the woods or town with the kids.

It'll be done on the smallest budget possible. Really it's just an excuse to tinker, so most anything that's reusable will be reused
    I was the same with a felt I pulled out of a skip, I ended up butchering the crank from a triple to 1x and then went single speed. The only bit I bought was the chain. Toying with the idea of doing the GDBR on it

Mods, if this doesn't belong here, feel free to move or delete.

Cleaning up the gears

480073.jpg

480074.jpg

480075.jpg

480076.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

What did you rig up to help remove the rust? I have a similar project ahead of me - I'm intirgued by the wires!!!

That takes me back to science at school and I can't recall the name for the process now. I'd like to say electrolysis?

Yep, electrolysis, or electrolytic rust removal. You need a DC power supply (I use a bench power supply, but a car battery would work). You also need an electrolyte. Sodium carbonate is the most common one, so baking soda, baking powder, washing soda. Just don't use table salt, it releases chlorine gas (sodium chloride). Last thing you need is a piece of metal to use as a sacrificial anode, but don't use stainless steel.

There's loads of instructions on the Google machine for it

• Advertisement

From what I recall it's positive that draws the rust from negative. I couldn't be trusted to come back to this and remember to disconnect the power before pulling out the cassette :o

Enfilade wrote: »
    From what I recall it's positive that draws the rust from negative. I couldn't be trusted to come back to this and remember to disconnect the power before pulling out the cassette :o

Ah, it's only running at 12v, so worst you'll do is give yourself s tingling feeling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

cletus wrote: »
    Ah, it's only running at 12v, so worst you'll do is give yourself s tingling feeling :D

Tingling you say......

I finished it... need to find a new project now.

Last job was R8000 brake calipers and R8000 crankset. I dont know if I should be happy or sad that it's now finished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Borderfox wrote: »
    Trying to get the remnants of an old cinelli stem (cut off) out of the original Lemond forks and it is a real pita. Cut it with a hacksaw and they are moving but just not enough to shift

Lovely frame Borderfox. Did you manage to sort this and re-fit the original forks?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

I finished it... need to find a new project now.

Last job was R8000 brake calipers and R8000 crankset. I dont know if I should be happy or sad that it's now finished

Pics please...or it didn't happen:D

Torres09 wrote: »
    Pics please...or it didn't happen:D

20190522-193021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Only had my good bike for 3 years when I realized I could adjust the reach of my brake levers to make it easier to use them in the drops! Adjusted them before yesterday’s spin and found them much nicer to use. Also found that my fingers need retraining to hit the correct paddle to change gear!! Had a few missed gear changes, but the brake levers feel better to use ðŸ˜႒

Gave it a clean, need to tidy Di2 cables when the grommets arrive. But quite happy with it, dont think I like the saddle colour though.

20190524-210645.jpg

20190524-210658.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

I changed my triple front derailuer a few weeks back and its never been shifting right. Today I messed around with it and finally got it shifting. properly. Next job a wash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mavic wheels, alu nipples, corroding like bejaysus. Breaking my heart.

Anyone done a one at a time remove and replace with brass jobbie? As a non wheel builder with no jig?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A fun build this weekend kept it cheap and cheerful helped by @Borderfox and a cracking frame & extras he sold me. Thanks again :)

Gearing is probably a bit to low it's currently set up 1x with a 34/12-32 cassette so should be fit for going up walls ;) I'll change out cranks at some point and probably put an oval of some description on there.

It wont be everyones cup of tea but it was built with a purpose and is a little quirky. I like it anyway :P with the exception of the seat post but it is a nice bit of comfort on bumpy trails it has an air cartridge inside. ;)

W7pNDRMN5tAXKFbE2l8YpvJY3cdlmRDFW0ryxyW0dntRWZCJR-fneX50Hg_e5z308Z__tx_p98AOdIXanOHbmUBHy9fjP8VlDXOKTwpOG4NdRblk_kRPBbTo8dJRiDn7DfjJE54Vm3E9f-E8-joXtYkRe7AhEBrmSNrcekDdhVK3mRBsh2pHL-7ekwTXUDrkg51zvTDT3vPd1a-w7wBpkalaoJ-gHLcNb2b8o4zuBA4flbets-MJJDJGX_GgsOBypMxabhimmkJxck7lY4MFONlMtwobnDjdBak1qae6Iq6xpNODLz17vzjmDj8A3sILZ_oorsmVHgzbSF2HWBb3ZcKqGfEdGmnAngKjcmpelZAhiFcmxBlEGlrq6ICP2xw7FK3cNC_1s2tevIBm2yV_E9MAL4HDJ6WC-FT49hJf7SrWfb3r2gQeworu8IJ3mmlpbnk1BtqmszWrpZHzaqONg7IHhU3VfxCs-eFzYjZ2VK3g0sdgbCziTFJyDZ9wj7ziV8BhjuJbMwtss8dM_g5PVFLokyokuMAmQWZoQe5D9wq1NhuWOh7-CWDYYoZAau2s5XSCb_lSdiTg-XxCc5HlBGjwIfE6uI1SKImYVX3tYeghwFjqfIZHHW_qeP6N60FhjiOHV_a6LG_WDo3_SeM5nZ4htSezwwP6uE_By60J6ZOrUMbPMxq90PHFv3Bk2Hmosvf-0_m7xl_ldroQGaxkQBhFOw=w678-h625-no

ATrG703coSrKWni_3kBAha9oF_nTw4EETOheGVZAbvFAif-Ps0HbHXMZa9oSL1HVJdRjdK9CGxV0AtH9NQsNypdcnkyKdkFHMZyPF4rUYfavrx9YfoaQXxTmZuPqensxAICK4Yijwij_2ErT6ZCc6GfPGFWnh-diY653EL5CtH2MpFBdEx3wcMyvbsSNLS0vqZPmV6qS_E8MtLuGKHxJw6_4paMvoUHBcOUfXPqETpLAhdH5q5o85NYwpE0BUsUFDQ03OZsVqIl6oQGhGAmpN2CXQzKSTjZiVYxkfrzEXALyVKzvIubvqFI49Eb-xoc_l4qgbzVDmoi7yEZh1mV9iG0qsnIlAv7R6PG5mWMo0lXWcRQrvHzDylKOqd3WowOJRuGkIjNkEhqzcFhSsub4DGwBpszud7jwqWM1VbjUxX5JJikcIE3OFWwBR-1Xzn2y_eN1GGgJp0HNJQu34O4lTFGnn7cysXbkDu5fjF9uI-YisxMiuuLrcBp4EpdwAVLuYoHeG-DYwOIMRV10zxko37cOPTQ1WUe49W9xE2O8ZxWWAV8qL0PEh-I_kSGZsXQA6NYpoY6wP-uqWZxhbSQSdsw9yRh3_FCno-3zbP8I5NiZvv5LFcfAc77NG-y82l9MM3CMYkLn_YZ0EZ23Zg7K2lm33Da3YbDRrVRJL3RdSsP7pR5yDAnlhcIXkX6Rmk0_Gsuzz0v-9CpKdrVqgRdJOv8TzQ=w1286-h625-no

KZqPnl9iB8DaCwgDoM-3kdiaBBFo7po9prwt1Xhn39mIzQ-xQ-d1fXEiJQ_FWLvgKqYjfiW3LrHfUSUur4MaeD_zADgWxN7O3zI1naavgt5HEud2w3h_SRcV3EmBnt98EKOb33QhijxOlict90TrPCpaTl63FtWw5YXJf_Uac_aLpiqFxkkcQqhdLXFikj9ugh09peApnkwNGLmSU06P6BIGOOW0QylD5jWgZ2TW5ZvfOP8UXJDx1vR8iStutn6Go6Pnv2KXId0VAvHPFxB2b3xoeVQ_Z1CEcPdHu7PWjSJetyaRPQHoulCa0iPWhfd4Ql_-NGZtRKP0YQcZFCdTpKs4hVtaA9df5PH_qh8rfb7Wv7a4A5VmC5pZO5gD-cfGnc0vUaV8MYpKO0Rb4NvAK0l1TqyaBXSFr6vnbsqwG3MoRI_158d5GozFk264LGzb-gxZbLS8FZxu1nJA70vwxDLnoanaqq-skLuO_o-IOX4aguP5gA6SsdCX_Wzej9DGGIq_401BQd-HW20FRTM85skrIHrHWhSvL3JnFxiUmx1ti_Ow52lmli_2l-21qqsahhfYHo6MnrYiED4mhvPuJpl8FVQEGlA63g8kQQ0k6SY--L7Hap9LGiq9oStT7vIij_7rauq2Uppmc2kD8kuDcFXQb5ar6RNKqbeFERRnzNwgvfpPRu1lraJf2YmANlMWKtW9tkBQCqZdus6w8REgU0-qDQ=w1286-h625-no

So, today I put these...

481926.jpg

....onto this...

481927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

520's marginally heavier than xtr and gallons cheaper. I've used them on all my bikes for years.

Cleaned my road bike as a final once over before W200, Inc degrease, tar spot removal and a t-cut (it's 3 years old so not too shabby), noticed the cable for the front derailleur which threads under the BB is just bare routed, not sure but I could have sworn it had full outers the last time I looked, would explain the clunky changes (even for SRAM).

Switched out the wheels from the cosmics to ksyriums, going broke from hoarding wheels finally pays off.. The cosmics have mavic tyres that seem to be made from cheese, lbs didn't have 25c contis in stock today so switching the wheels till the tyres arrive.

Oh and shock horror, I cleaned the bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted a Hambini BB30 > Shimano bottom bracket on my S-Works Roubaix. It’s an extremely well made piece of precision engineering and hopefully will result in many years creak-free cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Rebuilt my old race frame (a 1994 Gan Lemond replica, Silvio Billato built) I wanted a modern twist on it so Shimano equipped whereas when I built it first it had Mavic Zap

IMG_20190425_190646_zpsf4swzoqh.jpg

Beauty , Sold one of these near the Liffey for 150 a few years ago on quays . A 53cm full build . Wasn’t you was it ? Regret it since !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Replaced the pads on by rear disc brakes last night which were pretty much worn through. Thought I'd done a decent enough job but the bike was draggy as hell today and stopping to spin the back wheel showed a fair bit of binding. Bleed in order this evening methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Treated myself for my birthday :) So have been collecting bits and pieces over last few weeks

Been eyeing up a disc brake all rounder for a while, and couldn't resist when this popped up:

2x3AxV1h.jpg

Got a sweet group for it:
    tmFtljph.jpg

... a 27.5+ wheelset and some parts bin finishing kit later...

6dscWU5h.jpg

Still to do: Tidy up brake hoses, tidy up the zip ties (Thinking of these.), need to get some Stans liquid, tyres inflate without it but loose most of the air over night, also will be ordering the PlanetX copy of Jones bars to try out...

(Couldn't figure out the code to have small clickable images embedded - the images are huge, if anyone knows how please let me know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

(Couldn't figure out the code to have small clickable images embedded - the images are huge, if anyone knows how please let me know)

https://i.imgur.com/2x3AxV1.jpg =

https://i.imgur.com/2x3AxV1s.jpg
    2x3AxV1s.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/2x3AxV1m.jpg
    2x3AxV1m.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/2x3AxV1l.jpg
    2x3AxV1l.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/2x3AxV1h.jpg
    2x3AxV1h.jpg

Advertisement