Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Heating question

Options
  • 09-05-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Can commercial gas cylinders be used to heat a home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tullogher

Yeah if they are LPG ones. Look up calor or flogas churns

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

No difference except for the colour of the cylinder.

Why would you be using commercial ones?

DGOBS wrote: »
    No difference except for the colour of the cylinder.

Why would you be using commercial ones?

No such thing as commercial / domestic ones. Theybare all made the same just different capacities. Most houses have 1 tonne tanks. Get telemetry put.on it and the gas company will know when you.need a refil

Tullogher wrote: »
    No such thing as commercial / domestic ones. Theybare all made the same just different capacities. Most houses have 1 tonne tanks. Get telemetry put.on it and the gas company will know when you.need a refil

DGOBS would of stood inside the biggest tanks in the country luckily they let him out before they finished them.

I think like myself Tony DGOBS is possibly interested in what the OP is trying to achieve and what is meant by “commercial” tanks.

They mean ones bigger than the cylinders you see at some garages for the like of gas heaters like supersir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

gary71 wrote: »
    DGOBS would of stood inside the biggest tanks in the country luckily they let him out before they finished them.

I think like myself Tony DGOBS is possibly interested in what the OP is trying to achieve and what is meant by “commercial” tanks.

Cynics!

Tullogher wrote: »
    They mean ones bigger than the cylinders you see at some garages for the like of gas heaters like supersir

Possibly but by understanding better what the OP is thinking makes it easier to give advice, most of the time the obvious answer is the correct one but there’s nothing wrong in double checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pummice

I meant replacable cylinders bigger than super-ser sized ones. Thus avoiding standing charges like bord gais charge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

ok, firstly what your talking about is 47kg propane gas cylinders (these are still domestic cylinders)

some pitfalls of what you seem to be suggesting:

a) if your currently on natural gas, your gas appliances will be setup for natural gas, and will at best need to be modified (converted) to use propane (some appliances may not be compatible to convert at all) and this will have to be carried out by an RGI

b) even taking into account the gas meter standing charge for natural gas, you will find using propane cylinders much more expensive to run you household heating

c) if you are still intent on moving to propane cylinders, for you home heating you may need up to 4 cylinders on an auto change over device (2 cylinders per bak) using 47kg cylinders, and again this setup will have to be installed by an RGI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I am using Calor at the moment but want rid of them They are charging me 2.9726 per m³ (Is this a"normal" unit in gas usage?) plus a standing charge of €10 per month. Any advice on alternatives would be appreciated. I am willing to spend a few bob to upgrade. Or is this not excessive? I am fed off a communal tank in a small estate and Calor own all the gas infrastructure up to and including the meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

You are paying the equivalent of ~ 11.9 cents/kwh assuming 25 kwh/M3. Nat gas or kerosene are ~ 8 cents/kwh so apart from the standing charge, LPG is ~ 48% more expensive.

Advertisement