Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone had a putter fitting?

• 07-11-2018 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Looking for general info. Are the parameters just the usual length, loft, lie, weight and grip or is there anything special?

Did you do something basic with a pro, or putt lab or something tech based?

Worth it? Any results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looking for general info. Are the parameters just the usual length, loft, lie, weight and grip or is there anything special?

Worth it? Any results?

Wasn't quite a putter fitting, but I went to couple of putting sessions that used the Sam Puttlab & got a couple of recommendations on putter styles, etc...

The recommendations weren't really in terms of the parameters you mentioned above, more about the style of putter that suited my stroke.

I was using a blade style putter that had that right angle offset in the shaft at the putter head. The recommendation was that I needed a putter with a straight shaft as he offset was affecting face angle at impact & that a mallet style putter that was centre weighted would likely suit my stroke better.

It was a lesson & not someone trying to sell me a new putter so I took it at face value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Wasn't quite a putter fitting, but I went to couple of putting sessions that used the Sam Puttlab & got a couple of recommendations on putter styles, etc...

The recommendations weren't really in terms of the parameters you mentioned above, more about the style of putter that suited my stroke.

I was using a blade style putter that had that right angle offset in the shaft at the putter head. The recommendation was that I needed a putter with a straight shaft as he offset was affecting face angle at impact & that a mallet style putter that was centre weighted would likely suit my stroke better.

It was a lesson & not someone trying to sell me a new putter so I took it at face value

Did you take the advise and chance putters Space? If so did it improve your putting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Worth it? Any results?

Had one in cork with Wayne Callaghan using the capto system. I was delighted with the lesson mainly my stroke was crap, tempo off and my putter was too long. I went away with a plan to change my putter bought the Odyssey 7 the right length and downloaded a metronome app called mobile golf tempo. I could/should have got a free app would have done the same job.
    Things I'd forgotten started to come back like my routine on each beat. 4 steps with each beat. Look at the hole, look back at the ball, back swing, thru swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

benny79 wrote: »
    Did you take the advise and chance putters Space? If so did it improve your putting?

I did, changed to an Odyssey 2-ball putter from a scotty bladed putter (which I still hold on to :D). Given the advice I guess I felt more confident over putts so maybe that has an impact.

Whether it's made me a better putter I'm not sure. I don't put enough practice in to it, so can be a bit streaky, but find I get a fairly consistent contact with the Odyssey and am always comfortable over short ones that I'll likely send it on my line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Worth it? Any results?

Yes, all the above fitted and also toe-hang. Sam putting lab used. Best thing about it is that I got a putter that I was confident was the right one for me and from there on focused on my putting itself. I used to change putters regularly, that all stopped once I was fitted. Same with all my clubs really, once fitted I lost interest in new ones until they were really needed.

It is worth getting done. How much you will benefit will vary and depend on a number of factors ie if your current putter is totally unsuitable, how good your stroke is, etc.

No matter what advice you get, make sure you end up with a putter you like at address, otherwise you'll never be happy. Good luck with it. Would be interested to hear how you get on if you go ahead with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I badly need one after my last 3 rounds, I played Friday, Saturday, Sunday . . . I can honestly say I have never putted as badly. . my last 3 scores 31, 33, 32 . . and the amount of 3 putts I had over those rounds was ridiculous, at one point I was thinking to myself that I am putting the clubs away for a few months! Really frustrating. . you get to the green in regulation and the confidence is just not there, and thinking 3 putt ! Strange because, through the summer my putter was solid!

Played the Heritage on Saturday in there society open day, and I counted that I 3 putted 6 times, not to mention missing a 2ft birdie putt that didnt even threaten the hole!

might have to consider a fitting !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

newport2 wrote: »
    Yes, all the above fitted and also toe-hang. Sam putting lab used. Best thing about it is that I got a putter that I was confident was the right one for me and from there on focused on my putting itself. I used to change putters regularly, that all stopped once I was fitted. Same with all my clubs really, once fitted I lost interest in new ones until they were really needed.

It is worth getting done. How much you will benefit will vary and depend on a number of factors ie if your current putter is totally unsuitable, how good your stroke is, etc.

No matter what advice you get, make sure you end up with a putter you like at address, otherwise you'll never be happy. Good luck with it. Would be interested to hear how you get on if you go ahead with it.

do you mind me asking where you went to get on Sam puttlab?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I badly need one after my last 3 rounds, I played Friday, Saturday, Sunday . . . I can honestly say I have never putted as badly. . my last 3 scores 31, 33, 32 . . and the amount of 3 putts I had over those rounds was ridiculous, at one point I was thinking to myself that I am putting the clubs away for a few months! Really frustrating. . you get to the green in regulation and the confidence is just not there, and thinking 3 putt ! Strange because, through the summer my putter was solid!

Played the Heritage on Saturday in there society open day, and I counted that I 3 putted 6 times, not to mention missing a 2ft birdie putt that didnt even threaten the hole!

might have to consider a fitting !
    Take a bit of time on a green to practice. You'll learn what you're doing wrong pretty quickly. An exercise I do is start out three foot from the hole and when I get that putt, I move out a foot and go again. Mark your position with a tee and just move it out a foot every time you hole out. Most bad putts come from the hands getting involved. You mightn't notice when playing, but you'll spot it when practising and not under pressure.

Try a different grip. Sometimes that helps with quieting the hands. I use a grip like Ian Poulter with the right hand index finger down the shaft. It works pretty well at keeping your hands from making an input.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

prawnsambo wrote: »

Most bad putts come from the hands getting involved. You mightn't notice when playing, but you'll spot it when practising and not under pressure.

This is not true, reasons for missing a putt are poor green reading, not starting the ball on the line you picked and poor pace. The golfer needs to figure out which one it is before looking for a solution.

The hands have to be involved, how else do you hold the putter?

• Advertisement

This is not true, reasons for missing a putt are poor green reading, not starting the ball on the line you picked and poor pace. The golfer needs to figure out which one it is before looking for a solution.

I use my teeth. It's not illegal afaik :P

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I think what is actually being discussed is how active your hand are in the stroke. Many coaches I have heard discuss the importance of removing that factor, or having your left wrist somewhat locked during the stroke.

do you mind me asking where you went to get on Sam puttlab?

Naas Golf Club. Brian Sweeney did it, he's the assistant pro there.

I think what is actually being discussed is how active your hand are in the stroke. Many coaches I have heard discuss the importance of removing that factor, or having your left wrist somewhat locked during the stroke.

Overactive hands still aren't the main reason why putts are missed. Tiger, who seems to be a pretty good putter, talks about releasing the putter which can't be done with having the lead wrist locked.

Most golfers don't really know why this miss putts which sends them off down rabbit holes looking at how they hold the club, big fat grips etc when they need to find out why they miss putts. Randomly guessing works on occasion but won't get you far.

Overactive hands still aren't the main reason why putts are missed. Tiger, who seems to be a pretty good putter, talks about releasing the putter which can't be done with having the lead wrist locked.

Most golfers don't really know why this miss putts which sends them off down rabbit holes looking at how they hold the club, big fat grips etc when they need to find out why they miss putts. Randomly guessing works on occasion but won't get you far.
    Who's randomly guessing? I'd suggest you are.

Who's randomly guessing? I'd suggest you are.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Just on this topic, if a putter is advertised online as custom fit, does this mean the seller will carry out an analysis of your putting and make the putter to suit you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Most bad putts come from the hands getting involved.

I'm not being smart arsed when I say this but you can putt perfectly fine and read the putt grand but nothing can compensate for bumpy greens or (I'll do my best to describe this) when they pull the new hole placement up when removing the boring tool and leave the hole with a sharp upside down cup saucer effect along the hole permieter...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Ormus wrote: »
    Just on this topic, if a putter is advertised online as custom fit, does this mean the seller will carry out an analysis of your putting and make the putter to suit you?

No, it generally means you can put in your specs (length, lie, loft) when ordering it and it will be made to that. You would have to determine the specs yourself either by knowing what you like from experience or getting a putter fitting/analysis done by a fitter. An important part of the fitting is determining the toe hang that suits your stroke type before choosing the model you want to buy. Most fitters will adjust your existing putter to the correct specs anyway, unless you're dead set on buying a new one. They wil also advise if it's the correct putter type for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

newport2 wrote: »
    No, it generally means you can put in your specs (length, lie, loft) when ordering it and it will be made to that. You would have to determine the specs yourself either by knowing what you like from experience or getting a putter fitting/analysis done by a fitter. An important part of the fitting is determining the toe hang that suits your stroke type before choosing the model you want to buy. Most fitters will adjust your existing putter to the correct specs anyway, unless you're dead set on buying a new one. They wil also advise if it's the correct putter type for you.

That’s very helpful, thanks a mill for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Does anyone know the length / lie / loft of their putter?
    i assume a custom fitting moves these parameters around.

i was tempted to buy a putter online where you can select those and just purchase one that way.

Specifically one of the Evn Roll putters - they look really cool.

Advertisement