Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch Maintenance

Options
  • 16-05-2019 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Do the serial watch collectors have any advice for a newcomer to the manual wind up watch business?

I brought a Breitling recently and I hear about badly maintained but I don't really know what it means.

How often should I wind it? Should I wind it if I wear it? Changing date? Polishing?

I'm kind of lost.

Maybe someone else is in the same boat

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If it's a manual wind up mechanical watch and not an automatic(mostly powered by wrist movement) then I just wind them first thing in the morning when I put one on. If you're wearing an automatic on a daily basis the previous days power reserve should keep it going so no need to wind up. I suspect your Breitling is an automatic as hand winding watches tend to be in the minority these days.

If you do hand wind a watch and if you don't wear an automatic regularly, always wind and set a watch off your wrist(same for changing date). Winding while wearing can put too much strain on the winding mechanism and lead to more wear.

I'd not worry about polishing really. An occasional wipe with a cloth should be fine.

On water resistance; I personally wouldn't wear a watch in the shower for example. Seals can deteriorate over time and hot water is apparently more likely to seep in. I'm not so sure about that, but better to be safe. Other things? Avoid leaving your watch near strong magnets like found in loudspeakers.

Mechanical watches need a service by a watchmaker to replace the various oils in the jewel bearings. The frequency of service is a bit of a debate. Manufacturers tend to suggest frequent services(for which they charge handsomely). Personally I reckon a service is needed when the watch's accuracy changes, it becomes stiffer to wind, doesn't keep its power reserve. For a water resistant watch that you might wear swimming or whatever I'd look to get the seals replaced every say two years, if actually diving, yearly. If you ever see condensation on the inside of the glass stick the watch in a bag of rice and get it to a watch maker as soon as possible as damp and rust can kill a movement very quickly.

I'm sure other folks will have more and better advice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Wibbs wrote: »
    If it's a manual wind up mechanical watch and not an automatic(mostly powered by wrist movement) then I just wind them first thing in the morning when I put one on. If you're wearing an automatic on a daily basis the previous days power reserve should keep it going so no need to wind up. I suspect your Breitling is an automatic as hand winding watches tend to be in the minority these days.

If you do hand wind a watch and if you don't wear an automatic regularly, always wind and set a watch off your wrist(same for changing date). Winding while wearing can put too much strain on the winding mechanism and lead to more wear.

I'd not worry about polishing really. An occasional wipe with a cloth should be fine.

On water resistance; I personally wouldn't wear a watch in the shower for example. Seals can deteriorate over time and hot water is apparently more likely to seep in. I'm not so sure about that, but better to be safe. Other things? Avoid leaving your watch near strong magnets like found in loudspeakers.

Mechanical watches need a service by a watchmaker to replace the various oils in the jewel bearings. The frequency of service is a bit of a debate. Manufacturers tend to suggest frequent services(for which they charge handsomely). Personally I reckon a service is needed when the watch's accuracy changes, it becomes stiffer to wind, doesn't keep its power reserve. For a water resistant watch that you might wear swimming or whatever I'd look to get the seals replaced every say two years, if actually diving, yearly. If you ever see condensation on the inside of the glass stick the watch in a bag of rice and get it to a watch maker as soon as possible as damp and rust can kill a movement very quickly.

I'm sure other folks will have more and better advice.

Very appreciated Wibbs thanks it answers a lot of my questions.

I will only add my own experience with a vintage watch, which is a Certina Water King from the 1960's (my Grandfather's watch, given to him on retirement).

From the serial number it seems to have been made in 1969 and has the Certina Cal. 25-651 movement (an automatic movement vs mechanical). That movement gets a lot of kudos and deservedly so. Completely in house, 28 Jewels, 19,800 bph. The later iteration which is in my Grandad's watch has a sort of anti-shock mounting which was also pretty advanced for the time, but I digress.

Anyway, when I inherited it on the death of my Dad I eventually did get around to think about having it serviced, thinking about the oils especially and the likelihood of them being pretty badly deteriorated, but it was keeping absolutely perfect time. I am as sure as I can be that it has never been opened.

The advice given to me from a couple of sources was to leave well enough alone and that doing anything to it was as likely to put things awry.

I have approached servicing of my other watches (I don't have any other vintage watches) on the basis that they are serviced as the need arises, i.e. when I notice them going out of spec for the watch. I'm going to take the same attitude to this one, so as long as it keeps humming along as it does now, it's not getting anything done to it.

Just in relation to water resistance, I totally agree that you need to change the seals at least every couple of years to have any confidence if submerging the watch. Given that my service intervals are longer I don't wear anything other than a G Shock when swimming, and I've stopped wearing even them in the shower - primarily to avoid build up of residue from soap though, which really does accumulate on rubber/resin straps/cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I will only add my own experience with a vintage watch, which is a Certina Water King from the 1960's (my Grandfather's watch, given to him on retirement).

From the serial number it seems to have been made in 1969 and has the Certina Cal. 25-651 movement (an automatic movement vs mechanical). That movement gets a lot of kudos and deservedly so. Completely in house, 28 Jewels, 19,800 bph. The later iteration which is in my Grandad's watch has a sort of anti-shock mounting which was also pretty advanced for the time, but I digress.

Anyway, when I inherited it on the death of my Dad I eventually did get around to think about having it serviced, thinking about the oils especially and the likelihood of them being pretty badly deteriorated, but it was keeping absolutely perfect time. I am as sure as I can be that it has never been opened.

The advice given to me from a couple of sources was to leave well enough alone and that doing anything to it was as likely to put things awry.

I have approached servicing of my other watches (I don't have any other vintage watches) on the basis that they are serviced as the need arises, i.e. when I notice them going out of spec for the watch. I'm going to take the same attitude to this one, so as long as it keeps humming along as it does now, it's not getting anything done to it.

Just in relation to water resistance, I totally agree that you need to change the seals at least every couple of years to have any confidence if submerging the watch. Given that my service intervals are longer I don't wear anything other than a G Shock when swimming, and I've stopped wearing even them in the shower - primarily to avoid build up of residue from soap though, which really does accumulate on rubber/resin straps/cases.

Thanks ecoli, appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A cheap casio is the only man for swimming. Funny, with all the dive watches with pressure release valves, I still wouldn't put them in water. I've a Seiko scuba diver watch with a depth sensor which I wouldn't wear in the shower!

• Advertisement
Advertisement