Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Fair play Jude - you are doing really well. I'm sure you will start to see the results scale-wise soon!

I am having a great week - very focused, haven't gone AWOL over the weekend food-wise :D Did DIL on Saturday morning, then a cliff walk in Clogherhead that afternoon & another good walk yesterday. Gym tomorrow.

I have my first dress fitting on the 30th so it's given me the kick up the butt I needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    I'd say a pint of beer, but a litre of water.
    I measure my weight in stones and lbs, but when cooking it's usually kilos and grams.

I use feet and inches for my height, but also centimeters and meters for general measurements.
    And I use celsius for the temperature of weather, but fahrenheit for body temperature.

I'm pretty mixed up. :pac:

Actually I'd agree with all those, I do the exact same. Its a mixed up world alright!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Its weird, I order a pint of cider and there is a line on the glass at 500ml that they fill it too, the chancers.

CL fair play to you, you will have nothing to worry about with the dress fitting if you keep it up. Walking is the most under-rated exercise. Prior to my shoulder op I would run/jog at least two 10k's (or longer) a week with a few smaller quicker runs in between (struggled to finish 8km last night). Post op the only thing I was told to do was to walk on a treadmill with an incline for 45 mins in the sling. I thought that it would be useless and beneath me, sure I could run for 50-55mins easy.

30 mins in I was soaked and convincing myself that just 2 more minutes, get through them and then re-evaluate. It took me a good few attempts to get to 45 mins. Walking is harder for me than running....so I don't do it.

Did a gym session there at lunch as the two head guys are out of the country. Week 3 starts tomorrow. Still little weight loss but more strength. Shoulder is flipping killing me put I am sure its just loosening up. My OH is kicking my ass and is down 3 kg.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Very much have had a Christmas pudding week or two rather than Christmas cracker but hoping to get back on track tonight with an Aquafit class this evening, gym session in the morning. The food is the hard part but also the most important :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Good luck with the class, miamee!

Sounds like a great week, CheerLouth- fair play!!
    Jude13 wrote: »
    Anywho, went for a run last night, 8km (I'll leave the miles conversion up you guys)
    Good work, that's just over a mile according to my calculations. :p

• Advertisement

Had my weigh in this morning, I haven't budged in the past 7 days. Could be worse I guess. Gym at lunch, if the day allows, or after work.

I had two bad days last week and I am already wishing I had a cheat day this week. Weak mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ve been yo-yo’ing after Easter. Up 4 at Easter, down 5 the following week, up 2 last week (totally deserved). Changed my meals up particularly breakfast this week and I’ve been on track all week so hoping to get that 2 off again. I’ve dinner out on Thursday night so I weigh in a day early tomorrow.

I find when I have something naughty my cravings amplify by a million, it’s way harder to stay on track

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I measure my weight in stones and lbs, but when cooking it's usually kilos and grams.

I use feet and inches for my height, but also centimeters and meters for general measurements.
    And I use celsius for the temperature of weather, but fahrenheit for body temperature.

Have never really though about it however I do exactly the same!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Have never really though about it however I do exactly the same!

Me too lol

I find when I have something naughty my cravings amplify by a million, it’s way harder to stay on track

Thats one of the huge factors that totally destroys most people plans. If they indulge they end up going overboard & going 'sod it' and undo all the good work in one go. The key is to have that treat, that few beers etc but not amplify it by giving up & going all in. Accept it as a bad day, whatever & get back on plan, you'd be amazed how little one bad day can actually do to a well maintained plan if its nipped in the bud.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Thats one of the huge factors that totally destroys most people plans. If they indulge they end up going overboard & going 'sod it' and undo all the good work in one go. The key is to have that treat, that few beers etc but not amplify it by giving up & going all in. Accept it as a bad day, whatever & get back on plan, you'd be amazed how little one bad day can actually do to a well maintained plan if its nipped in the bud.

Yeah I’m getting better at that now. However the twice I’ve gone completely off the rails (which isn’t bad for almost six months on plan) have both been in the few days before my period. Really gonna have to watch that because I don’t seem to be able to resist the cravings at all if I give in during that 48-72hrs

If I have a bad day on, say, a Tuesday, I accept that the week has been written off and just go off the rails for the next five days. :rolleyes:

I am terrible with biscuits, if I have one then there is a very good chance the whole packet will get eaten. I'm a disaster at Christmas when the tins of biscuits are out!!

If I have a bad day on, say, a Tuesday, I accept that the week has been written off and just go off the rails for the next five days. :rolleyes:

I'm also one of these people & I start every day saying "right today is the day" & before I know it, it's weigh day again & the whole week has been a shambles!

Planning is the key I've realised - if I haven't planned the day before what I'm having for at least two meals, then my day very quickly ends up as a disaster food wise!

OMG 5.5lbs down. Bloody delighted. I’ve worked really hard this week to stay on plan. Cleared all the presses so I couldn’t binge on even low syn stuff. So delighted. Really encouraged to push on this week since I need 2.5lbs for the next half stone

Well done!! \o/

OMG 5.5lbs down. Bloody delighted. I’ve worked really hard this week to stay on plan. Cleared all the presses so I couldn’t binge on even low syn stuff. So delighted. Really encouraged to push on this week since I need 2.5lbs for the next half stone

Great work, well done!

Great effort, keep it going.

Bit disappointed to be only down a pound this week but still a good week is never wasted so fingers crossed to have another loss this week :D

Hey, it's still a loss! Right direction. :)

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Bit disappointed to be only down a pound this week but still a good week is never wasted so fingers crossed to have another loss this week :D

Keep at it. Maybe you’ll surprise yourself next week and have a bigger loss than you expect.

Im up from last week but down overall. Roast potatoes and a pizza, plus three cans of san peligrino flavoured water. Damn it. Went to the gym each day though.

Im up from last week but down overall. Roast potatoes and a pizza, plus three cans of san peligrino flavoured water. Damn it. Went to the gym each day though.

Its a war not a battle, think long term. Once you're trending in the right direction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I never realised how mixed up all the measurements were until I seen your post Posy, I do all exactly the same as you!!

Still on the wagon folks, don't know where I left off, so I'm continue with the going forward, I have 6lbs to a mini target before my summer holidays and 4 weeks of weigh ins left, lets hope I can do it. :)

Had a great gym session yesterday, really ended up mixing it up and enjoying it so much more.

Fair play to all keeping it going. I had a weekend away and had a few drinks the first night. It was all inclusive so quite a bit of grub too but no deserts...small wins.

I have still been going to the gym a minimum of 4 days a week. With the little one and work commitments I am just lifting and not getting my tabatas (HIT in between sets) in as it would mean that I am on the gym floor nearly 2 hours. Just not enough time in the day. I need to get a few runs in for cardio.

I think I am slightly up in weight from my initial weight weeks ago though my suits are baggy at the wait and my shirts are getting slightly tighter. Need to get rid of the dad belly though. I will weigh in on Thursday morning.

Ps Cottage cheese with peanut butter is delish.

Fair play to all keeping it going. I had a weekend away and had a few drinks the first night. It was all inclusive so quite a bit of grub too but no deserts...small wins.

I have still been going to the gym a minimum of 4 days a week. With the little one and work commitments I am just lifting and not getting my tabatas (HIT in between sets) in as it would mean that I am on the gym floor nearly 2 hours. Just not enough time in the day. I need to get a few runs in for cardio.

I think I am slightly up in weight from my initial weight weeks ago though my suits are baggy at the wait and my shirts are getting slightly tighter. Need to get rid of the dad belly though. I will weigh in on Thursday morning.

Ps Cottage cheese with peanut butter is delish.

Depending on what you are looking to achieve, different metrics are more important that others.

I am heavier then I was 3 years ago however belt is in a couple of notches and t-shirts/shirts tighter around arms/shoulders/chest.

PS. love the individually however never tried them together, will give it a go.

4 days off 6 months and I'm weighing in this evening to see if I made the 2.5 stone mark. However a shopping trip today because nothing fit (I was a 20-22) has resulted in me getting multiple items in size 16 and 14-16. SIXTEEN!! Walking on air today, I'm almost not plus size anymore! I know I'm still an 18 in formal trousers and dresses (chest size grr) but I'm getting there!

4 days off 6 months and I'm weighing in this evening to see if I made the 2.5 stone mark. However a shopping trip today because nothing fit (I was a 20-22) has resulted in me getting multiple items in size 16 and 14-16. SIXTEEN!! Walking on air today, I'm almost not plus size anymore! I know I'm still an 18 in formal trousers and dresses (chest size grr) but I'm getting there!

Con'grat. I always think that clothes are a better judge than scales.

Keep it going.

Had my first wedding dress fitting yesterday - it fits, TG!!!!! And it has to be taken in slightly! Need to get back on the wagon because I've fallen off a bit. I think the pressure to lose weight for the big day is actually making it harder to do it if that makes sense! Really need to try making better choices. Mindless eating in the evenings when the kids have gone to bed is my downfall - anyone any tips on how to avoid this?

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Had my first wedding dress fitting yesterday - it fits, TG!!!!! And it has to be taken in slightly! Need to get back on the wagon because I've fallen off a bit. I think the pressure to lose weight for the big day is actually making it harder to do it if that makes sense! Really need to try making better choices. Mindless eating in the evenings when the kids have gone to bed is my downfall - anyone any tips on how to avoid this?

A couple of things I do are;

-have healthy snacks to hand, i.e. fruit or smoothie to stop the temptation to grab a bikkie/bar
    -drink lots of water, can be a bit of pain with waking up needing to pee

Advertisement