Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In fairness it's hardly going to be noticeable to the sailers of the country, but the power boaters will certainly feel the pinch!

I bet Conor McGregor is regretting upgrading to that big f*** o** Prestige 750 now!!

2920_dc632.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can I have some tax relief on my skiing holidays?
    I only go once a year.

If it's a corporate outing then yes, you can write it off, if you are paying personally then you're screwed...

Same goes with boating, I am aware of plenty of examples of commercially run small motor yachts - easy to spot because they will have a notice on the side saying 'licensed to carry up to 12 passengers".

They can claim VAT back on running costs and maintenance an fuel, only have to be able to prove a few charters a year to maintain it. 12 pax limit also means they do not come under the Merchant shipping act.

I suspect, under the new laws they will also continue to be able to use non excised fuel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I bet Conor McGregor is regretting upgrading to that big f*** o** Prestige 750 now!!
    Given he is paying for a full time skipper to look after it and the mini flotilla of jetskis tied up in the next-door marina berth, I don't really think it would bother him... he could always run it on whiskey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Steve wrote: »
    I....................................................................

I suspect, under the new laws they will also continue to be able to use non excised fuel.

I don't know about water taxi's and the like, but if the end use is pleasure then the operator is liable to pay the full rate.

I can't speak for all hire boat companies/ tour companies and similar, but some have been self declaring the usage and paying the full rate since it's inception back in 2008 (or was it 2009?).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Just wondering if anybody knows if the poolboy lock has been made automatic yet?

Went through it last year and was talking to the lock keeper who said it was being upgraded over the winter but could not find any info to that affect.

Screenshot-20190408-150204-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Times where they should just scrap ECHO. Its never worked properly and probably never will.
    ICRA supports and promotes the ISA policy of dual scoring at all its events. An ECHO certificate is mandatory for all entrants from Ireland. An ECHO rating may be assigned to boats with IRC certificates from other areas.

ECHO racing may be more approachable for new entrants to racing, may encourage boats who do not have the time or resources to compete at the top level and should ensure that more boats have an interest in results as the regatta nears its end.

ECHO however works best when applied to a constant fleet which always races together. It is more problematic when applied to a disparate fleet such as is found at a national event.

Currently at the ICRA Nationals we start all boats at their standard ECHO rating which is usually within a few points of the IRC rating. In practice this means that the leading boats on IRC are nearly always the winners on ECHO as well. This is not in keeping with our policy on events.

PROPOSED ECHO RATING MECHANISM
    In order to assign suitable ratings to boats a number of assumptions will have to be made:

The standard of racing at events around the country is reasonably similar.
    Boats are doing their best in each race.
    An owner with a new boat is performing at the same level as in their previous boat.
    Visiting boats (eg from the UK) are taken to be high performance teams unless previous data from listed events is available.
    U25 teams are rated at the standard ECHO for their boat.
    Irish boats for which no data is available will be assigned the standard ECHO rating for their boat plus 2.5%.

https://cruiserracing.ie/technical/echo-handicap/

neris wrote: »
    Times where they should just scrap ECHO. Its never worked properly and probably never will.

https://cruiserracing.ie/technical/echo-handicap/

As your quote says, it only works at local level, I agree with that. It has no place in a top level event.

• Advertisement

As your quote says, it only works at local level, I agree with that. It has no place in a top level event.

Local being within a club. I don't know anyone who goes to an event looking to win echo. They go to either won irc or do their best in irc with a placing in mind that they'd be happy with. We had a boat in our club that was so far back on the local echo that even when the handicap was reduced dramatically they weren't even getting decent results

Tomorrows ISORA cancelled, takes a lot for that. Normally they'd send you off in 30kts.

Bit more them 30 knots and it's not the 1980s
    Tomorrows ISORA cancelled, takes a lot for that. Normally they'd send you off in 30kts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No kill cord, no life jacket.
    That guy did not deserve to get his boat back.

Almost never see people wearing buoyancy aids in US video. Is it not in the culture?
    In the 70s here we weren't allowed on a boat without a buoyancy aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

No kill cord, no life jacket.
    That guy did not deserve to get his boat back.

Almost never see people wearing buoyancy aids in US video. Is it not in the culture?
    In the 70s here we weren't allowed on a boat without a buoyancy aid.
    In Dublin Bay (cruisers) of the late 1960’s early ‘70’s it was considered ‘best practice’ to have PFDs on board. Few boats had enough for all, they were worn rarely, mainly at night or on deck in very heavy weather. From memory it was ISORA requirements (big fleet in 1970's) that pushed the safety aspect with throwing lines, Danbuoys, liferaft, etc., followed by the Fastnet Enquiry recommendations at the end of that decade. Perry's in DL used to service them for commercial craft. Admiralty Pattern PFDs, dating to about 1950!

In the US the laws on PFDs are both Federal and State, with some variation by State and while there must be one aboard for everyone, as a general rule wearing one is only mandatory for children under 6 – 12yrs. when outside a cabin - age varies by State. Car seatbelt use in the US also was strange - in the 1990's a car salesman said to me 'You Europeans always wear the belts".

In fairness PFDs in the 60s 70s and 80s werent exactly fashionable or practical either. Big bulky bright orange yokes and if you were really unlucky it had a big feck off collar that acted more like a neck brace that you prayed didnt get caught in the boom. I remember when I started cruiser racing in the mid 90s hardly anyone wearing lifejackets or PFDs although boats had them on board some of those boats had owners or crew who were pilots for a certain national airline and the lifejackets would have been liberated from a 747 just incase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

..... although boats had them on board some of those boats had owners or crew who were pilots for a certain national airline and the lifejackets would have been liberated from a 747 just incase
    :D or got 'beyond date' ones from a certain contact when liferafts were being serviced - this one is still airtight and was obtained +/- 50 years ago. (don't look at the rust on the belt-ring!

Screenshot-20190516-132901-Samsung-Internet.jpg

In fairness PFDs in the 60s 70s and 80s werent exactly fashionable or practical either. Big bulky bright orange yokes and if you were really unlucky it had a big feck off collar that acted more like a neck brace that you prayed didnt get caught in the boom. I remember when I started cruiser racing in the mid 90s hardly anyone wearing lifejackets or PFDs although boats had them on board some of those boats had owners or crew who were pilots for a certain national airline and the lifejackets would have been liberated from a 747 just incase

When I was brought out on a boat in the '70s as a kid, nobody wore PFDs. Very few who sailed could swim either.

Not being able to swim was a great reason to not fall off the boat and has stood to me to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When I was brought out on a boat in the '70s as a kid, nobody wore PFDs. Very few who sailed could swim either.

Not being able to swim was a great reason to not fall off the boat and has stood to me to this day.

Hmm I distinctly remember you falling overboard only to be saved by spinny sheets :D

Stheno wrote: »
    Hmm I distinctly remember you falling overboard only to be saved by spinny sheets :D

Technically, I was 'on' the water, not in it.

Kite surfing....

Didn't even get my smokes wet... :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Technically, I was 'on' the water, not in it.

Kite surfing....

Didn't even get my smokes wet... :pac::D

Hmmm. What about the boots being full?

juke wrote: »
    Hmmm. What about the boots being full?

Minor detail. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Funny on the DFD thing.

My dad had boats with outboards for as long as I can remember.
    My dad was not the greatest mariner and got himself into all sorts of scrapes due to his cavalier attitude and slight lack of boating knowledge.
    However, he and anyone in his boat always wore lijejackets. This is going back to the 70s.

In the 80s sailing dingys, pfds were not optional.

I guess because I grew up always wearing one and always seeing adults wear them, I'm genuinely shocked when I see people on small boats not using PFDs.

On another note:
    It's waaaaaay too long since I've been sailing.
    Finally got myself organised to go racing in Dublin Bay tomorrow.
    Forecast is for eff all wind:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Funny on the DFD thing.

My dad had boats with outboards for as long as I can remember.
    My dad was not the greatest mariner and got himself into all sorts of scrapes due to his cavalier attitude and slight lack of boating knowledge.
    However, he and anyone in his boat always wore lijejackets. This is going back to the 70s.

In the 80s sailing dingys, pfds were not optional.

I guess because I grew up always wearing one and always seeing adults wear them, I'm genuinely shocked when I see people on small boats not using PFDs.

On another note:
    It's waaaaaay too long since I've been sailing.
    Finally got myself organised to go racing in Dublin Bay tomorrow.
    Forecast is for eff all wind:(
    The wind held up for you in the end!!

How did you get on? Bit chilly I'd say!!

out for a cycle up howth head this morning and flat as a pancake all over the bay, had to feel for the isora fleet I could see off in the distance floating of dun laoghaire in a giant hole

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Its due to pick up later in the afternoon to around 10 kts or so, so was going to head out (need to wait til 1pm for tide) for an afternoon spin, but a bit os sunshine would be nice to go with the 'lovely' temperatures we are having.

Where's todays Isora going?

Its due to pick up later in the afternoon to around 10 kts or so, so was going to head out (need to wait til 1pm for tide) for an afternoon spin, but a bit os sunshine would be nice to go with the 'lovely' temperatures we are having.

Where's todays Isora going?

Down around the Codling marks, back up to Kish, and past a virtual mark in to the harbour mouth to finish. Against the tide both ways, poor sods. At least the wind is due to pick up for the afternoon.

• Advertisement

From the tracker at midday.

Advertisement