Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fletcher Speed Boat

• 02-05-2019 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    Not really educated about boating as this is my first, just looking for a few pointers..
    Bought a Speed boat a few weeks back 12ft, boat came simply bare, no seats, no engine, no bilge pump, tank, steering is stiff and not functioning.

What will it take to get steering fully functioning?

What would be recommended seats to get and how would I go about them?
    (Homemade may be an option or car seats)

What size engine would be recommended? I was thinking 2 stroke 40hp short shaft? Correct me if I am wrong.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Lawlor welcome, Might be worth investing in a new steering system they are not very expensive but are one thing you don't want locking up on you :eek: I hate seeing boats with car seats they are not made for the job and can get very top heavy when wet making the boat unstable, go for something like these again they wont brake the bank.

cls-200-lounge-boat-seats_zpsuqujswnt.jpg

pfs300-boat-seats_cfceaca4-7bad-40c6-9e0c-711e40b515c1_zpsy0neu4er.png

40HP should be loads just make sure you measure your transom and get 15" for a short shaft.

14102233_10157456098840624_8142925374663157125_n_zpseyf0miyd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lawlor09

Hi Fergal,
    Thanks for the reply, I will look into buying seats and a steering system. Firstly I might just buy a pull start engine with handle and get an extendable handle also for learning how to launch and approach the pier etc..

I measured the transom yesterday and it is 20", should I go long shaft in that case? What is the outcome if I went short shaft? I was told when I put it in gear it will drop the back of the boat anyway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

20" is what we would know as a standard length most boats are 20" if you put a 15" engine on it the cavitation plate may be blocked by the boat so you won't get up on the plane and would have bad handling and less speed.
    With a tiller you will be standing at the back of the boat to see over the bow and this boat has a very low freeboard and not built to have all that weight at the back it would not be safe you will be a lot happier in a driving seat holding onto a wheel :) also when you are looking at engines get the best you can afford and if possible with the right controls to match the engine, boat shells are two a penny the money is in the engine and it's what you will depend upon to get you home, I don't want to put you off but it can be quite expensive going from a shell to a sea going boat when you add in the cost of lifejackets,VHF, ropes, fenders, battery, bilge pump, fuel tank, your steering and so on you will also need to get the engine fully serviced with a new impeller, never trust anyone that says it's just been serviced unless you see the paperwork.

11705282_839397752812405_1432653344097478595_n_zps4ev3ix7r.jpg

Advertisement