Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for personal injury's Fraud?

• 25-05-2019 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭

Any cases of someone making a false claim and getting in trouble for it?
    Is it a criminal or civil matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Any cases of someone making a false claim and getting in trouble for it?
    Is it a criminal or civil matter?

Doubt it. We don't do accountability here and anyone who has would have got a harsh suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The link between politicians, judges, barristers and solicitors here is pretty sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Recent arrest, possibly arrests for contravention of the Civil Liabilities Act (IIRC) by Gardaí - crash for cash scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I guess the next question is whether anyone in the legal profession has ever been censured for bringing obviously fraudulent claims to court.

• Advertisement

I guess the next question is whether anyone in the legal profession has ever been censured for bringing obviously fraudulent claims to court.

So on the one hand the legal profession is corrupt and on the other we want them deciding which cases get brought to court.

I'm not sure you've thought this through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

So on the one hand the legal profession is corrupt and on the other we want them deciding which cases get brought to court.

I think the point being made was about the enthusiastic support some solicitors provide for obviously fraudulent or exaggerated claims

I think the point being made was about the enthusiastic support some solicitors provide for obviously fraudulent or exaggerated claims

How is the solicitor meant to know if the case is fraudulent or exaggerated? Solicitors, barristers and Judges deal in facts and evidence not the feeling that Seamus is a bit of a knacker.

Personally and although this is somewhat ironic given it's probably a fear of being sued, I blame Doctors for their seemingly never failing diagnosis of soft tissue injuries and the government for not legislating a bar on certain whiplash claims. Personally I think there is a public policy argument to be made that a small number of genuinely injured parties would be denied relief vs. a huge number of bogus claims.

But I reiterate that unless a solicitor is also a Consultant on the side how are they meant to know which injuries are genuine and which aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The judges can start by awarding costs against every plaintiff that has their case thrown out instead of the defence nearly always having to pay whether they win the case or not.

The case taken by a certain fg TD has many similarities with the aforementioned case, blatent fraud and deceit but I doubt she will be treated the same when and if the matter comes to court.

Where did I say the legal profession was corrupt?

Certain members of the profession clearly are, most are not.

I’m not sure you thought your response through.

A solicitor / barrister chooses the cases they take, the same applies in all businesses assuming it isn’t based on blatant discrimination.

Solicitor A refuses to take the case (e.g. because he strongly suspects it is fraudulent and / or the claimant has a history ...) then the person tries Solicitor B, C etc.

You prefer the opposite where all the dross gets to courts, cloggs of schedules and wastes time and money, keeps insurance high, keeps the legal profession busy... I wonder why. Vested interest much?

• Advertisement

The judges can start by awarding costs against every plaintiff that has their case thrown instead of the defence nearly always having to pay whether they win the case or not.

The case taken by a certain fg minister has many similarities with the aforementioned case, blatent fraud and deceit but I doubt she will be treated the same when and if the matter comes to court.

What data are you basing your assertion that costs are not awarded against unsuccessful plaintiffs as a matter of course. I'm not disagreeing with you but I would like to see something to back up your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rarely I'd say.

That chancer who fell off the swing obviously lied to her solicitor, or else conspired with them, to lie.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/td-bailey-ran-10km-race-three-weeks-after-swing-fall-38146778.html

She's claiming she couldn't run for 3 months yet ran a 10k three weeks after the fall.

I hope she's thrown out of court. Despicable.

What data are you basing your assertion that costs are not awarded against unsuccessful plaintiffs as a matter of course. I'm not disagreeing with you but I would like to see something to back up your claim.

There are no statistics, I've been in the civil courts and seen it time and time again.

Where did I say the legal profession was corrupt?

Someone else did I was referring in general terms although you do seem to now be implying it yourself.
    Certain members of the profession clearly are, most are not.

I’m not sure you thought your response through.

A solicitor / barrister chooses the cases they take, the same applies in all businesses assuming it isn’t based on blatant discrimination.

Solicitor A refuses to take the case (e.g. because he strongly suspects it is fraudulent and / or the claimant has a history ...) then the person tries Solicitor B, C etc.

You prefer the opposite where all the dross gets to courts, cloggs of schedules and wastes time and money, keeps insurance high, keeps the legal profession busy... I wonder why. Vested interest much?

The dross as you put it could very well be a genuine claim. Again I ask when confronted with a Doctor's and Engineer's report stating that the case is genuine how is a solicitor meant to know which cases are actually fraudulent?

Yes my vested interest as a civil servant :rolleyes:

There are no statistics, I've been in the civil courts and seen it time and time again.

How many times over what period? I've seen many reports of costs being awarded against plaintiffs.

How many times over what period? I've seen many reports of costs being awarded against plaintiffs.

Over a four year period and it rarely occured that costs were awarded against plaintiffs, this was the Dublin Civil Courts, perhaps it is different in other Districts/Circuits.

Someone else did I was referring in general terms although you do seem to now be implying it yourself.

The dross as you put it could very well be a genuine claim. Again I ask when confronted with a Doctor's and Engineer's report stating that the case is genuine how is a solicitor meant to know which cases are actually fraudulent?

Yes my vested interest as a civil servant :rolleyes:

Maybe they should do a little investigation like the insurers and the media have started doing. Take this Maria Bailey example, the Independent reports today that she did a 10k run 3 weeks later (at a runners pace based on the time quoted) despite claiming she could no longer run. She was enjoying herself at Longitude a few weeks later etc.

Some simple checks would weed out the most obvious fraudulent cases.

Ambulance chaser jokes around the legal profession didn’t originate from thin air.

Care to share the data please? Given that you requested the data to prove the opposite claim earlier in the thread...

Maybe they should do a little investigation like the insurers and the media have started doing. Take this Maria Bailey example, the Independent reports today that she did a 10k run 3 weeks later (at a runners pace based on the time quoted) despite claiming she could no longer run. She was enjoying herself at Longitude a few weeks later etc.

Some simple checks would weed out the most obvious fraudulent cases.

Ambulance chaser jokes around the legal profession didn’t originate from thin air.

Maybe that should be left to the defence in an adversarial system. I've also heard it reported that in fact she was able to run 30K and was reduced to only being able to run 10K due to her injuries. I wonder what the doctor's reports says? Again why should the legal profession be ignoring other professions in their areas of expertise?

I'm not denying the stupidity of a grown woman suing for falling off a swing, but that does not mean she's not mean she should be denied access to the courts. Assuming her claim does fail then I also agree costs should be awarded against her.

Care to share the data please? Given that you requested the data to prove the opposite claim earlier in the thread...

It's anecdotal as is the previous posters information.

• Advertisement

Maybe that should be left to the defence in an adversarial system. I've also heard it reported that in fact she was able to run 30K and was reduced to only being able to run 10K due to her injuries. I wonder what the doctor's reports says? Again why should the legal profession be ignoring other professions in their areas of expertise?

I'm not denying the stupidity of a grown woman suing for falling off a swing, but that does not mean she's not mean she should be denied access to the courts. Assuming her claim does fail then I also agree costs should be awarded against her.

Okay, what about this example:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057980891/

“Judge Groarke said Ms Contaragui was “prone to misdescription, exaggeration, misrepresentation, apparent falsehood and a lack of accuracy about injuries, previous medical history and her attendances with doctors”.”

So the judge threw the case out, right?

Think again.

“He believed her complaint of injury to her neck and lower back was ‘probably correct’ and that he would award her general damages of €10,000 jointly and severally against the three defendants Mr Contaragiu and Mr and Ms Orosanu.”

Do you honestly believe that the solicitor representing her believed her story? Could he have been that naive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Having costs awarded against a plaintiff is totally different to actually seeing the colour of their money. A defendant needs to look carefully at at the means of a claimant to see how far they will take it. To achieve a win with costs can come at a higher price than losing early on. Hence the fact so many claims are paid for nuisance value.

Okay, what about this example:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057980891/

“Judge Groarke said Ms Contaragui was “prone to misdescription, exaggeration, misrepresentation, apparent falsehood and a lack of accuracy about injuries, previous medical history and her attendances with doctors”.”

So the judge threw the case out, right?

Think again.

“He believed her complaint of injury to her neck and lower back was ‘probably correct’ and that he would award her general damages of €10,000 jointly and severally against the three defendants Mr Contaragiu and Mr and Ms Orosanu.”

Do you honestly believe that the solicitor representing her believed her story? Could he have been that naive?

Dead link in the other thread.

Probability is the standard in civil cases.

Having costs awarded against a plaintiff is totally different to actually seeing the colour of their money. A defendant needs to look carefully at at the means of a claimant to see how far they will take it. To achieve a win with costs can come at a higher price than losing early on. Hence the fact so many claims are paid for nuisance value.

No disagreement there that the costs system need an overhaul if it's to be an effective deterrent against spurious claims. My contention is that professional advocates should not be the ones deciding whose case is worthy of it's day in court.

Furthermore the level of awards is completely ridiculous at this stage. Wasn't there a case recently where 1cm scar garnered €30,000?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I know someone who got away with a fake back injury claim. Received a chunk above 200k. Was in Canada and once the claim went through headed back to Ireland. Nothing wrong with him. Even plays a bit of football now at home

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

€200k? Something not right there. Did he manage to fake a broken back?

While whiplash claims might attract too much compensation in the eyes of the standard populist, they are not in the order of €200,000.

They are in the €12,000-20,000 range for the most part. Anything above that is very very exceptional and probably involves something more than typical whiplash injury.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

professional advocates should not be the ones deciding whose case is worthy of it's day in court.

+1

I don't see how it could be any other way.

Does anyone really want solicitors pre-judging the outcome of a case to decide whether someone should be allowed access to the judicial system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

€200k? Something not right there. Did he manage to fake a broken back?

While whiplash claims might attract too much compensation in the eyes of the standard populist, they are not in the order of €200,000.

They are in the €12,000-20,000 range for the most part. Anything above that is very very exceptional and probably involves something more than typical whiplash injury.

In Canada. Loss of earnings and future loss of earnings. Mental health problems too and future medication and therapy costs. I saw the approved claim statement from his solicitor myself

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know any hotels with swings?
    Need a wee break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Graham wrote:
    Does anyone really want solicitors pre-judging the outcome of a case to decide whether someone should be allowed access to the judicial system?

I work in an insurer and Ive had plenty of Solicitors ring me off the record early in a claim and ask if we have 'concerns' about certain accidents or crashes. Many of them then walk away. They know from the off their Client is full of it.

On the other hand, ive had plenty of Solicitors where we've given them the chance to walk away via an off the record discussion and they openly say that we wont get our costs back off a claimant once they lose and push for a nuisance offer. They only care about fees, not justice.

The notion that a Solicitor can't judge a fraudulant claimant based on suspicious single vehicle accidents or odd accident circumstances is nonsense.

Advertisement