Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought an old house ... where to start?

• 24-05-2019 5:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Hi all, currently buying old farmhouse. It’s in move in condition but a little dated in decor. Any suggestions re ideas for farmhouse interiors - I’m not sure yet whether I’ll go traditional or modern or ? Any recommendations for magazines or websites? Budget is small

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Join self build and renovations on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The fact that it's in move in condition, is a bonus.
    Move in and get a feel for the place, then improve as your budget increases, do it room by room.

I moved into an old house almost 4 years ago,and have only just finished everything.
    And not only do I love it, but I know had I done everything immediately, no doubt, I'd have changed my mind lots since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The fact that it's in move in condition, is a bonus.
    Move in and get a feel for the place, then improve as your budget increases, do it room by room.

I moved into an old house almost 4 years ago,and have only just finished everything.
    And not only do I love it, but I know had I done everything immediately, no doubt, I'd have changed my mind lots since then.

Thanks for replying-what room did you start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Make sure you check the electrics and plumbing first! We had a few bits done in our old house before we realised the house needed a rewire! Doing things twice is very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

honeybear wrote: »
    Thanks for replying-what room did you start with?

It's a 2 up 2 down house originally, with 2 bathrooms.
    Downstairs the 2 rooms had been opened up and an extension added to create a large open plan living room- kitchen.

I started by upgrading from double glazing to triple and improving on insulation, I did this in 2 stages 6 months apart to allow for budgeting.

Removed carpets all over( did this first week as they were smelly and I hate carpet ) and sanded/varnished bedroom floors. Apart from this and insulating and windows, upstairs only required cosmetic changes.

Downstairs, was a big job.
    I had entire ground floor tiled with same tile 9 months after I moved in. Then new kitchen followed.

Following year, replaced bathroom tiles and units, sourced everything online and saved a fortune.
    I changed the stove for a better model last winter, that was 3 years later. And put in an attic ladder for easier access.

And carpet to stairs and landing just recently, once all the tradespeople had finished in the house.
    I did all the removing and cosmetics myself, YouTube helped!
    And all within my own budgeting capabilities, as I wasn't gonna go into debt to make a house my home.

As per jlm29, get everything checked.
    I almost had my electrician on speed dial, the wiring here was crazy and very unsafe.

Best part is I still love it and nothing felt rushed.

• Advertisement

It’s almost 30 years since I bought my house. This is what we did in order
    Electrics
    Bathroom
    Windows and front door
    Heating
    Living room
    Kitchen
    Carpets and curtains as I had the money.
    Bedrooms last
    In the last 10 years, we’ve had a new roof and redid bathroom and living room.

Advertisement