Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meme Studies

• 18-04-2019 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭

Looking up courses in Memeogy / Memeory

As there are none, considering becoming a lecturer in Memes

Imaging year 1 as the teacher ....

OK class settle down ... this month we will be looking at Cat Memes and some of today’s content will be comming up in the test ...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

UC Berkeley announces new Meme Studies Department for fall 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cambridge to offer short course in meme studies.

A course is available at Brown University, and it's called "Memes and the Language of the Internet."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Black Swan wrote: »
    Cambridge to offer short course in meme studies.

A course is available at Brown University, and it's called "Memes and the Language of the Internet."

At the root of that, there would be interesting investigations into what makes one meme go viral and another go nowhere. I know if I had the chance I would pick it as a module!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mzungu wrote: »
    At the root of that, there would be interesting investigations into what makes one meme go viral and another go nowhere. I know if I had the chance I would pick it as a module!

Boards own Cool Pics & Videos Forum should be an invaluable learning resource for future academics ...
    ;)

Fathom wrote: »
    Qualitative research studies. Content analysis?

Possibly more as a study of proverbial monkeys with typewriters tbh .. ;)

https://web.archive.org/web/20080805231814/http://siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11118/digital-life/using-a-decade-of-online-irish-banter

Check out boards on wikipedia as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

gozunda wrote: »
    Possibly more as a study of proverbial monkeys with typewriters tbh .. ;)

https://web.archive.org/web/20080805231814/http://siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11118/digital-life/using-a-decade-of-online-irish-banter

Check out boards on wikipedia as well

A meme in itself?

mr-burns-monkeys-typewriters1-640x381.jpg

Picture memes worth a thousand words?

Some of them, most definitely. Others, not so much.

For every thread - there is a meme ...

1h7zpj.jpg

Is now also a game ...

https://www.boardgamer.ie/577-what-do-you-meme.html

What generation was the meme gen? Gen-X? Millennials? Generation Z? Or?

Richard Dawkins first coined the term in 1976 in his book The Selfish Gene. He explains it as the way in which cultural information spreads. The internet meme concept was coined by Mike Godwin (he of 'Godwin's Law' fame!) in a June 1993 issue of wired.

Taken from Wiki:
    In 2013, Dawkins characterized an Internet meme as being a meme deliberately altered by human creativity—distinguished from biological genes and his own pre-Internet concept of a meme, which involved mutation by random change and spreading through accurate replication as in Darwinian selection. Dawkins explained that Internet memes are thus a "hijacking of the original idea", the very idea of a meme having mutated and evolved in this new direction. Furthermore, Internet memes carry an additional property that ordinary memes do not: Internet memes leave a footprint in the media through which they propagate (for example, social networks) that renders them traceable and analyzable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

Like this: "In 2013, Dawkins characterized an Internet meme as being a meme deliberately altered by human creativity."

Aye, or as he says himself that "anything that could be the basis for an evolutionary process is a meme, simply by becoming more frequent in the population, in the meme pool, in the same way the gene becomes more frequent in the gene pool."

• Advertisement

Evolutionary analogy. Darwin's differential reproduction? Or Spencer's survival of the fittest?

The former is more focused on variation of the offspring as opposed to the evolutionary change over time found in the latter?

Variation in a populations. Questions if such variation can only be applied to biology? What about behavior? In this particular case meme behavior?

They certainly display the characteristics of evolution and digital communications are a product of the human race. So on some level it could be possible.

The biology of behavior? Balanced nature vs. nurture?

Do you mean in a digital sphere?

Virtual. Digital. Metaphor.

A product of human ingenuity that exists in a separate space.

Geometrically expanding. Generational linked.

Across all phenomena?

mzungu wrote: »
    Across all phenomena?

No just boards :D

Folklore Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Helsinki studies memes. Interesting programme.

We meme studies be a passing fad, or something sustainable?

Black Swan wrote: »
    We meme studies be a passing fad, or something sustainable?

As a module in a degree I would think it would be both sustainable and interesting. But basing a degree/masters around it would be stretching it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭worded

Skeptical

• Advertisement

Free edX course: "How to Do Things with Memes."

Certificate for $26! :P

To be fair, course content would fit in nicely into a media studies course and imo would be a welcome addition.

Surprised that they can produce the optional and additional certificate for a mere 26 bucks. Maybe you don't talk to a live person? Computer generated?

I would say you are right. Probably all online and very "no frills" too I would imagine.

May try a free class. No certificate.

I'm sure lectures and study materials would be available online. Best way to do it really.

Reminds me of a couple of free edX classes I want to take, but not in meme studies, the latter being fun.

Advertisement