Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milk and Dairy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Jjameson wrote: »
    Not at all. Buy and take manufactured Iodine supplement,vitamin b supplement, zink supplement, calcium supplement. essential fatty acids, Omega 3 can all be done without. And then you can introduce yourself as “I’m a vegan. I may look like I’m dying but I’m ethically superior than every ordinary person in my opinion. Especially those evil insulin using type one diabetics.”

You can get all of those from plant sources apart from B12 which comes from bacteria in the soil. Animals are more often than not supplemented with B12.

SNIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Bigbooty wrote: »
    You can get all of those from plant sources apart from B12 which comes from bacteria in the soil. Animals are more often than not supplemented with B12.

Yes and the best way to get them from plants is to process them in a very natural way harmonious with nature is through grazing animal and eat the ffckers. Never supplemented and animal with vitamin b12 in my life?? And diabetics have also found the carnivore diet very effective however most people don’t realistically want
    to cut out a food group so thank god for for insulin and all the life saving and changing pharmaceuticals derived from farmed animals eh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Insulin is synthetic for a long time (over 40 years), thanks to GMO. Which also made it cheap to make.

You can also get B12 from a plant source, water lentils, which was found out recently. High levels of bioactive B12.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭65535

cutelad wrote: »
    I honestly would find not having meat or dairy illogical. Our bodies require it to stay healthy.

I find that statement odd to be honest.
    I am healthy, actually I have never been healthier without meat and dairy.
    No stomach problems, no skin problems.
    All I can suggest is to try it because you would see and feel the positive effects yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I honestly would find not having meat or dairy illogical.

Logic is one of the reasons I follow a vegan lifestyle.

Our bodies require it to stay healthy.

Not true.

After nearly 30 years without meat, I'm as fit as I've ever been, fitter in fact in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

"The danger of having so many calves in 2020, on top of the existing pressures, means there is an emergency welfare case to be made, although no one wants to talk about it, for killing the calves on a one-off basis at three or four days old,” said a senior figure in Ireland’s state agricultural network. The source spoke to the Guardian on condition of anonymity for fear they might lose their job.
    “We know there is going to be suffering.."

“Vets are not called to sick pigs [in Ireland],” the source added. “And this is the way we are going with male calves.” Calves and pigs are worth significantly less than the cost of a vet, so it can be cheaper to simply let them die..in their own scour [diarrhoea], which is what is happening now and we know is going to get worse”.

'It would be kinder to shoot them.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/20/it-would-be-kinder-to-shoot-them-irelands-calves-set-for-live-export

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

auspicious wrote: »
    "The danger of having so many calves in 2020, on top of the existing pressures, means there is an emergency welfare case to be made, although no one wants to talk about it, for killing the calves on a one-off basis at three or four days old,” said a senior figure in Ireland’s state agricultural network. The source spoke to the Guardian on condition of anonymity for fear they might lose their job.
    “We know there is going to be suffering.."

“Vets are not called to sick pigs [in Ireland],” the source added. “And this is the way we are going with male calves.” Calves and pigs are worth significantly less than the cost of a vet, so it can be cheaper to simply let them die..in their own scour [diarrhoea], which is what is happening now and we know is going to get worse”.

'It would be kinder to shoot them.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/20/it-would-be-kinder-to-shoot-them-irelands-calves-set-for-live-export

It's tragic and heartbreaking to see this barbaric industry with its horrible practices so prevalent and accepted as normal in society. Nothing but contempt for the chain of production in the dairy industry including the marketing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's tragic and heartbreaking to see this barbaric industry with its horrible practices so prevalent and accepted as normal in society. Nothing but contempt for the chain of production in the dairy industry including the marketing suits.

Its tragic and bizarre to once again see those who choose a particular lifestyle attempt to use aalleged incidents as a stick to best all and sundry and never shut up with the same old bs.

Using the anti-farming paid opinion pieces from the Guardian as an 'anonymous' source on accusatory farming practices is little better than expecting the pope to come out in support of contraception and be believable

Where there are incidents of poor animal welfare - that should be dealt with. Not used as propaganda for the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

gozunda wrote: »
    Its tragic and bizarre to once again see those who choose a particular lifestyle attempt to use aalleged incidents as a stick to best all and sundry and never shut up with the same old bs.

Using the anti-farming paid opinion pieces from the Guardian as an 'anonymous' source on accusatory farming practices is little better than expecting the pope to come out in support of contraception and be believable

Where there are incidents of poor animal welfare - that should be dealt with. Not used as propaganda for the few.
    And of course the unnamed “experts”. Narrow minded brainwashed zealots who have zero qualifications or real practical experience but know it all from the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭65535

It's very easy to prove for yourself whether a non meat/non dairy diet does work for you or not.
    Approach it with an open mind - you might surprise yourself.

I have to add, and please correct me if I am wrong, but a lot if not most of the dangerous viruses (virii ?) are from eating animals/exotic animals.

Maybe they are trying to tell us something !

Foot and Mouth - Rare in Humans
    BSE/Mad Cow Disease leading to vCJD in Humans
    SARS (Civets / Bats)
    MERS (Bats /Camels)
    Covid-19 Bats/Pangolin
    AIDS - Non Human Primates/Monkeys
    H5N1 - Bird Flu
    H1N1 - Swine Flu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

gozunda wrote: »

Drinking cow's milk as adult humans is revolting; forcibly impregnating the cow to get her lactating and discarding her calves is pretty heartless. To then claim to care about animal welfare is sociopathic.

However, there has been some good news reported recently, as a sort of silver lining to the covid19 cloud;

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0330/1127297-cheese-sales-fall/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Drinking cow's milk as adult humans is revolting; forcibly impregnating the cow to get her lactating and discarding her calves is pretty heartless. To then claim to care about animal welfare is sociopathic.

However, there has been some good news reported recently, as a sort of silver lining to the covid19 cloud;

They can’t sell it in the states so they’re dumping it.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dairy-plants-dump-thousands-of-gallons-of-unused-milk-as-demand-plummets-2020-04-02?mod=home-page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Absolutely not. Milk is delicious, nothing better than a cold pint of milk and it's full of nutrients that benefit human health

No essential nutrients which you can't get from a balanced whole foods plant based diet with minimal impact to planet.
    Oh B12 - yes we have plant sources for that plus everyone over 50yo should be supplementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Yeah but just be clear thats not in ireland

No essential nutrients which you can't get from a balanced whole foods plant based diet with minimal impact to planet.
    Oh B12 - yes we have plant sources for that plus everyone over 50yo should be supplementing it.

A human diet is not balanced if it's limits basic food groups such as excluding dairy

McCrack wrote: »
    A human diet is not balanced if it's limits basic food groups such as excluding dairy

Erm...no. No animal requires the milk of another. It's just weird that we do it. Babies only require human colostrum. And only up until a certain age.
    Are you a big baby?

Erm...no. No animal requires the milk of another. It's just weird that we do it. Babies only require human colostrum. And only up until a certain age.
    Are you a big baby?

Erm.... no. Colostrum is what a mother gives for the first few days after the baby is born then it changes to milk i think

Colostrum us the first form. After initial period what is produced is a mix of milk and colostrum.
    Then mature. No animal has evolved to drink another's milk. We just steal it with cruel consequences for the animals.

Colostrum us the first form. After initial period what is produced is a mix of milk and colostrum.
    Then mature. No animal has evolved to drink another's milk. We just steal it with cruel consequences for the animals.

I think its A1A1 protien we humans are able to process which allows to drink milk from cows and other animals. So i guess we did evolve it. We are also born with teeth that can cut through meat along with that our stomachs and guts can process said meat. What we did lose along the way was an apendix which was for processing grasses and other tough veg. Erm... no. Its milk or clostrum they might mix while it changes to milk. Now if you want to debate moral reasons not to eat drink or use products from other animals on this planet great, I am not going to stop you but to say we didn't evolve ways to eat meat or drink milk is just stupid

• Advertisement

I'll put it this way. There is no evolutionary necessity for us to drink cows milk at this stage in our contemporary society.
    It's gross and many people are learning just how undignified it really is.

Gary kk wrote: »
    Yeah but just be clear thats not in ireland

Where did I say it was?

I'll put it this way. There is no evolutionary necessity for us to drink cows milk at this stage in our contemporary society.
    Yeah thats fine i respect your choice

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Where did I say it was?

Ah you kniw yourself some people would not open the link to read and asume it was about Irish farmers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This has always been a problem, exporting to countries with lower standards than our own https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/20/it-would-be-kinder-to-shoot-them-irelands-calves-set-for-live-export
    France is probably not the worst country to be fair, I'd worry about exporting to some other countries.

Gary kk wrote: »
    Ah you kniw yourself some people would not open the link to read and asume it was about Irish farmers

It’s going to happen here too. Don’t cod yourself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/dairy-farmers-face-dumping-milk-as-processors-sweat-over-a-shut-down-39080341.html

It's nutritionally beneficial though and it's certainly not "gross" and to call it such displays some immaturity

This has always been a problem, exporting to countries with lower standards than our own https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/20/it-would-be-kinder-to-shoot-them-irelands-calves-set-for-live-export
    France is probably not the worst country to be fair, I'd worry about exporting to some other countries.

But but but It’s the guardian!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/02/secret-footage-shows-calves-from-ireland-beaten-and-kicked-in-france

McCrack wrote: »
    It's nutritionally beneficial though and it's certainly not "gross" and to call it such displays some immaturity

Hardly. I think you're looking through the narrow side of the lens.
    The product appeals to me no longer as I have a full understanding of the 'production line'. It's gross because the mothers and calves experience great distress and suffer so we can enjoy some nutrients in a glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cutelad

I personally buying all local now. My kids thankfully have decided to put aside this no dairy lark and join the real world

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement