Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ToolSuppliers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nice one. I've gone and bought all the planes I need now though :D
    (I refuse to class a record #02 as a "plane I need" :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Ive just notice that the link on the previous page to my vintage tools list is not correct
    This link should work ok.
    https://www.adverts.ie/member/727864/ads

Fine preloved hand tools for woodwork, blacksmithing and stone work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Hows it going.
    I’m making keyrings as ‘wedding favours’. Going to slice a branch and burn a logo onto the slice.
    I’m wondering where I might get a custom made branding iron of the logo I want?
    Thanks

Hows it going.
    I’m making keyrings as ‘wedding favours’. Going to slice a branch and burn a logo onto the slice.
    I’m wondering where I might get a custom made branding iron of the logo I want?
    Thanks

Ebay

-10% this weekend on Quangsheng planes from www.workshopheaven.com

I was too quick to dismiss this gear as chinese copies, likely to be nice looking rubbish.

Got hands on with some Quangsheng, Luban and Juuma planes (all made by QS Tools) and have been rather impressed by all of them.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case any of ye are looking for Santa Letter stuff.

I got a Luban 102 from them a good few weeks back and proceeded to debrand it. It's a smashing little plane. Very nicely made and looks perfect after I removed the ugly logo. For €60 plus postage, it's a great alternative to the desirable Lie Nielsen for about half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jack of all

JayZeus wrote: »
    -10% this

I got a Luban 102 from them a good few weeks back and proceeded to debrand it. It's a smashing little plane. Very nicely made and looks perfect after I removed the ugly logo. For €60 plus postage, it's a great alternative to the desirable Lie Nielsen for about half the price.

Looks like great value for money; I've got some LN planes myself so I'd like to check this one out. Would you mind putting up a photo of your "debadged" plane? I presume a Dremel was called into action?

Took those pictures at the time. They're not great, but you can get an idea from them. I buffed the ridged bits at the toe and heel smooth and along the top of the cheeks. Only takes a couple of minutes. All the bright parts have since dulled down nicely. I like it anyway.

Lovely job, well wear!

I pulled the trigger on the Luban apron plane, it arrived today. It's a very nice plane indeed, good materials, well machined and put together. I have a Veritas equivalent bought in Celtic Tiger times, not fair to compare them (completely different- cast iron body, adjustment yoke mechanism and lateral adjustment) but the Luban would not be out of place in its company. The logo is awful but I'm half afraid to attempt to remove it. I have a small cold chisel (6mm) which I thought might do a quick job on removing most of the material- but it's a gamble! I don't have a 6" buffing wheel, is that what you used?

I pulled the trigger on the Luban apron plane, it arrived today. It's a very nice plane indeed, good materials, well machined and put together. I have a Veritas equivalent bought in Celtic Tiger times, not fair to compare them (completely different- cast iron body, adjustment yoke mechanism and lateral adjustment) but the Luban would not be out of place in its company. The logo is awful but I'm half afraid to attempt to remove it. I have a small cold chisel (6mm) which I thought might do a quick job on removing most of the material- but it's a gamble! I don't have a 6" buffing wheel, is that what you used?

Good man, I think they're great value really. I've a few Veritas planes myself and while the Luban's not quite up there with them, it really is a fine little tool for a fairly inoffensive price compared to some of the alternatives.

I just used a small carving burr 'ball' in a dremel for the one on the body, in front of the adjuster (not the worst place if you wanted to leave it anyway) and for the one on the lever cap I just used a smooth cut half round file and a dowel with 240-400 grit paper to smooth it out, then some emery paper and finally a bit of Autosol and a scotchbrite pad. Sounds like more effort than it took really. I like tipping away at stuff when I'm working through a series on Netflix or the likes.

• Advertisement

Like this

The magnifying led lamp might not be necessary but it's dead handy for that sort of thing and for sharpening the really small toothed saws, soldering etc.

And here, for comparison

Thank you very much, just the info I need. I think I have some of those burrs rattling around in a box somewhere. Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

@imakebiodesle I sent you a PM re your Adverts listings. I'm a woodwork noob in need of tools!

I recently went looking for a set of Stanley 750 series socket chisels, the one with all 8 sizes. Found a supplier I thought to share with ye here as I had top service, shipped really quickly too. Ordered on Thursday night, picked up on Friday and delivered by 10am on Monday, from Holland!

Anyway, here's the link to the chisel set (insanely good value, couldn't find anything even close to the price) and while their site isn't great, the stock and prices in general are bang on.

https://www.baptist.nl/en/houtbewerkers/chisels/stanley-chisels/stanley-8-delige-sweetheart-sw-steekbeitelset-incl-lederen-foudraal

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alexsandro22

I've rent remington chainsaw recently and probably I will buy it next week. Hope it will not cost too much. After buying I will write a full review

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Hi all. in case of interest - Lidl have clamps this week. Two big and two small clamps for 9 euro. Cheapish feel but can’t argue at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Hi all. in case of interest - Lidl have clamps this week. Two big and two small clamps for 9 euro. Cheapish feel but can’t argue at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

wrecked the blade today. any thought on where I might get a replacement online?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how did it happen?
    i may have the same saw - it's a blue scheppach, bought in mcquillans, and i'm 90% sure i bought a spare blade in there. it's 216mm though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Anyone any idea of a good sander for skirting boards and door/door frames , all mahogany and stained, or what do I need to do to repaint them, I opened a separate thread for this but got no replies, any help appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

august12 wrote: »
    I opened a separate thread for this but got no replies, any help appreciated.
    best help i can offer you is to suggest you go back to the thread you started, as you *did* get replies.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113076983

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

best help i can offer you is to suggest you go back to the thread you started, as you *did* get replies.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113076983
    Oh thanks, had notification turned off and hadn't checked, apologies but would also welcome any suggestions here.

how did it happen?
    i may have the same saw - it's a blue scheppach, bought in mcquillans, and i'm 90% sure i bought a spare blade in there. it's 216mm though.
    thanks
    Got distracted and forgot to notice that the metal end of the Rabone try square was under the 4 by 2 :mad:
    Am nearly certain it says 210, let me look again

hopefully you didn't take any damage in the process!

just checked mine - the model number is the kgz 216s.

hopefully you didn't take any damage in the process!

just checked mine - the model number is the kgz 216s.

Its a HM80L, 210 mm
    Other than the try square, and the blade. still ten toes and fingers.
    Lesson learned , (or relearned) with my new partner, no distractions when I am using power tools, not her fault of course, all mine.
    Looking fwd to seeing the lidl planer /thicknesser later this week.
    If i wanted to try the 216, how much plus postage

Where do you live? I'd be thinking along the lines of if it doesn't work, just post it back to me, and if it does, just make a small donation to a charity as you see fit?

https://www.adverts.ie/hand-tools/makita-18v-nicad-kit-with-power-supply/20332149?notification=1beb607a5ad928dbf40c3afb219f3fad-1589212116.

Need to get shut of this stuff, have it advertised as above: anybody interested..
    Am in Nenagh.
    Kadman: delete if not C19 compliant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

How likely are the try squares in Lidl this week to actually be square?

Anybody bought similar before?

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    How likely are the try squares in Lidl this week to actually be square?

Anybody bought similar before?
    Whats the application?
    road works, first fix, second fix, fine joinery, marquetry?

Advertisement