Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Body Shape?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bridgy

What type of shape do you have to your body?
    I am very much the pear shaped girl! quite small on top,32C,small waist, would be about a size 8/10 on top(depending on the type of clothing) however , i have quite a big bum,hips and thighs!more of a 10/12 on bottom!!

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape?
    For as long as i can remember,I have always had an issue about my weight and shape,in my teens i was alot bigger,did manage to lose a few pounds when i was 16 and i finally grew into my pear shaped figure!however throughout my college days I put on weight,was wearing size 16 trousers and size 12 tops, and for me been 5'4, dieting was alway on my mind! Saying this, at the time, I never got really depressed about my weight,for me it was always an issue so it was nothing new! in the last two years I have lost approx 2stone,and I am finally content with my weight! I get loads of compliments now about my figure,which after all this time is a great feeling!

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight?
    I would be more concerned about my weight! I am 5'4 and about 10 stone,so I would have a healthy BMI ,as long as I keep to a healthy BMI im happy enough! In my opinion apart form maybe toning up,there is no point worrying to much about your body shape, there really isnt a whole lot you can do to change it too much!

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?
    I wouldn't have a problem now with getting clothes to fit, im generally a size 10 so finding sizes are not a problem however this doesnt mean i can go into a shop and pick out a mini skirt and top in a ten and be done,this kind of outfit would be terrible on me,im a curvy girl and I prefer to wear clothes that work to my advantage!

I'm an hourglass shape. Even though I'm overweight, my shape allows me to get away with wearing things that a thinner, differently shaped person couldn't. The things that suit me best are really figure hugging dresses. I have a tiny waste and "curvy" hips and bum (fat really but in the right clothes they're curvy ;)) and I have good boobs.

I hate my body, proper hate it, but I like my figure if that even makes any sense. I have lost a good lot of weight and I'm working really hard to lose alot more. I'm really starting to see my body toning up which I'm obviously delighted about. The one thing I would change is my legs, I would just love to have slim legs. I used to have such enviable legs which is what pisses me off!

I don't find it too difficult to buy clothes, I know what suits me and that's what I go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

General note for thread: an hourglass is having hips and bust measurements that are the same, and a noticeably smaller waist - over 9 inches smaller. For instance, 36-24-36. It is allegedly the most desirable female figure. In reality, 8% of women are hourglass shapes. Kelly Brooke, mentioned earlier, is a true hourglass based on her measurements.

This is incorrect. The hips and bust do not have to be exactly the same, nor does the waist need to be over 9 inches smaller. Hips and bust about the same, smaller waist. Fat tends to accumulate on upper and lower body parts (arms, hips, thighs, rear).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

What type of shape do you have to your body? Hourglass would be the closest, size 14-16 and 5ft 8

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape? Sometimes but I carry excess weight across my back and have very broad shoulders, when I got married years ago I was at my thinnest, the bottom half of me was a 10-12 but my wedding dress had to be a 16 to accommdate my back and be taken in, my back was a 38 at the time, its now a 40. I have become used to it.

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight?I'm a bit overweight now so would like to lose about a stone or so.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape? Yes on several counts, shirts are a nightmare due to a broad back, big boobs (40 DD) or 38 E, so I often have to buy an 18 but it is swimming around the waist, so tend to buy tops but then I have another issue, I have a long body/ torso so some tops are too short, also jeans that sit on the waist are a nightmare for me, I look ugly in them, and getting high waisted jeans is difficult although it is getting better in the last year or so. I love dresses but again they are too small up top and not long enough in the body. Any loose baggy clothing makes me look like a hippo so I need structured stuff but at the moment the fashion is not that so haven't bought many clothes in a good while. The one part of me I really like is my bum, I have a really nice shape, hence another reason for high waisted jeans and for years I had a really flat tummy, it is only in recent times that I have developed a little podge there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I hate my body, proper hate it, but I like my figure if that even makes any sense.

I'm the same as you. I'm a proper hourglass - my hips and bust are the same, and my waist is 9 inches smaller. I am fairly broad though, so I don't feel it's as noticeable as it is on someone more petite. I love my shape, but I absolutely hate my stomach. It feels like a catch-22 because when I wear clothes that emphasise my boobs and waist, they also tend to emphasise my stomach :(. I wouldn't feel comfortable in really fitted dresses because I'd be too conscious of my stomach, which is a shame because they might look nice on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

umm, i think hourglass? an hourglass with a belly! size 12

with my overall shape i guess i kinda am. i can feel pretty good in good clothes but there are so many things i'd like to change about my body. slimmer upper arms, bigger boobs, slimmer tummy, slimmer legs, nicer skin everywhere!!!

i suppose my shape, i never weigh myself. i would like to feel like i could wear sleeveless tops (by most people's standards, i CAN of course and i know it's a silly thing in my own head, but so it goes) and to have less of a belly so that i could wear jeans and tees without muffin top :/

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?
    no. there are lots of clothes i'd like to wear that i feel i can't, that's for sure. but i still manage to find lots of things i like that i can wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This is incorrect. The hips and bust do not have to be exactly the same, nor does the waist need to be over 9 inches smaller. Hips and bust about the same, smaller waist. Fat tends to accumulate on upper and lower body parts (arms, hips, thighs, rear).

gargleblaster, according to popular culture and the women who were the original embodiment of that hourglass shape, those are the requirements. The waist needs to be quite tiny in proportion to the similarly proportioned bust and hips. An inch or two out between hips and bust is allowable, but the hourglass shape really is defined by a proportionally tiny waist. Otherwise - well, going out at the shoulders, in at the waist and out again at the hips is really a pretty standard shape for most of female humanity who's within the bmi classification.

The 'perfect woman' stats of 36-24-36 have been referenced broadly in popular culture for over 50 years and appear to have originated in some post world war II 'make our boys happy' propaganda out of America.

If you take the classic hailed and recognised hourglasses through history - Sophia Loren, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, so on - they all conform to that body standard of evenly proportioned bust and hips with a tiny waist ratio.

It's worth looking at the work Trinny & Susannah did on body shapes with regard to clothing choices - they took the four body shapes (apple, pear, banana, hourglass) and broke some down into further subsections and I think added some more, to come up with about 12 shapes altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

gargleblaster, according to popular culture and the women who were the original embodiment of that hourglass shape, those are the requirements. The waist needs to be quite tiny in proportion to the similarly proportioned bust and hips. An inch or two out between hips and bust is allowable, but the hourglass shape really is defined by a proportionally tiny waist. Otherwise - well, going out at the shoulders, in at the waist and out again at the hips is really a pretty standard shape for most of female humanity who's within the bmi classification.

The 'perfect woman' stats of 36-24-36 have been referenced broadly in popular culture for over 50 years and appear to have originated in some post world war II 'make our boys happy' propaganda out of America.

If you take the classic hailed and recognised hourglasses through history - Sophia Loren, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, so on - they all conform to that body standard of evenly proportioned bust and hips with a tiny waist ratio.

It's worth looking at the work Trinny & Susannah did on body shapes with regard to clothing choices - they took the four body shapes (apple, pear, banana, hourglass) and broke some down into further subsections and I think added some more, to come up with about 12 shapes altogether.

Banana? What the hell does a banana-shaped woman look like? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

General note for thread: an hourglass is having hips and bust measurements that are the same, and a noticeably smaller waist - over 9 inches smaller. For instance, 36-24-36. It is allegedly the most desirable female figure. In reality, 8% of women are hourglass shapes. Kelly Brooke, mentioned earlier, is a true hourglass based on her measurements.

As I said, I'm pretty sure I'm an hourglass (have to get the measuring tape out) but even if I'm not, that's what I like to tell myself :)

Pretty much straight up and down - a barely discernable waist /edit - that's answering the question as to what a banana is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Pretty much straight up and down - a barely discernable waist /edit - that's answering the question as to what a banana is.

With a slight curve to the left or right as you go up?

Someone else described themselves as a "pillar". Seems like a more appropriate comparison, but obviously someone wanted to continue the fruit associations. I'm surprised hourglass wasn't replaced with butternut squash. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Malari wrote: »
    With a slight curve to the left or right as you go up?

Straight up and down and a hunchback...get back to me in 50 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Lot of lucky hour glass women here!! Read somewhere only 9% of the population is hour glass shaped!!

I think I'm a pear shape and weigh 120 pounds on a frame of 5'6 with a spine that a bit too long for my per-portion. I'm a size 10 on the bottom with an 8 on top (34B chest size). I have a very small waist which means I find it hard to get tops that nip me at the waist and fit my arms.... The most I have ever weighed is 10 stone. I had a few issues with food that lead me to getting down to 7 stone 11 as a teenager.

I absolutely hate my arms and as a result never ever get them out. I tried toning them about a year or two ago but wasn't doing cardio to loose over all fat so I just increased my arm size :mad: , it also transpired that I was using the weights the wrong way for lengthening the muscle which is what I should have been at. Worst sentence in the world to me would be "you're wearing a strapless Dress".

When I was in my late teens I weighed about 116 pounds and thought I was huge to the point that when I went on holiday I almost cried when it came to getting into the pool and wore a t shirt dress over my bikini. I feel like kicking myself over that now.

My stomach can get a bit bloated due to my love of refined carbs especially when the new potatoes are out (noym noym noym) and my backside is in need of some toning. I'm happy with the way my figure looks in clothes as at my heaviest I used to wear spanx under most of my dresses and I don't need to do that anymore. But out of my clothes I just feel like my arms are out of per portion with my small chest and waist but my shoulders match my hips its just the bit in between looks like its in the distance thus a bit smaller than the rest of me.

I would love to be more toned, the OH is very into sport and thus has a very hard toned body. He called me "soft baby" one day about my lack of muscle tone. Going to work on that in the next few weeks as I have just up running and I am learning to use weights properly. Would also love bigger boobs but sure you can't have it every way and I'm learning to love what I have.

If its of any use to the "hour glass debate" I found the article where the 9% figure came from. Its from the daily mail website.............................
    (9% is a british stat so I presume it would be a bit different over here)

It gives measurements for other body types to or what ever name they put on them...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1391671/Hourglass-No-shapes-like-rectangle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Malari - thanks for that, I've been reading this thinking I'm not quite hourglass and I've realised I am an upside down butternut squash (wide part at the top)!

I don't mind my figure, I have a large bust (34E), slim legs and not overly wide hips. I'm carrying about an extra half stone around the middle but about a month ago it was a stone and next month it WILL be none!

I know it's shallow and not good to be too obsessed with weight but the day I stood on those scales and seen I had dropped a full half stone I was elated, nothing could bring me down from cloud 9 that day, it really gave me a boost to continue with the healthy eating and exercise!

I'm not a big fan of shopping, but I know what suits me and what's going to look good so I tend to stick to the tried and tested items.

wild_cat wrote: »
    If its of any use to the "hour glass debate" I found the article where the 9% figure came from. Its from the daily mail website.............................
    (9% is a british stat so I presume it would be a bit different over here)

It gives measurements for other body types to or what ever name they put on them...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1391671/Hourglass-No-shapes-like-rectangle.html

No, the 9% figure I believe comes from a study commissioned by a manufacturer of mannequins for designers, and carried out by the North Carolina State University on the body types of American women. It was a two-year study and appears to be linked to a piece of research called SizeUSA.

No, the 9% figure I believe comes from a study commissioned by a manufacturer of mannequins for designers, and carried out by the North Carolina State University on the body types of American women. It was a two-year study and appears to be linked to a piece of research called SizeUSA.

The article states the research was done by Avalon (which is a mannequin company) but in Britain and Europe using 50,000 women. I'm not backing up the mail just stating what is written in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

What type of shape do you have to your body? I'd say pear shape is about the closest.

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape? No, but although I am a bit overweight right now and so have reason to be unhappy about it, I wasn't happy with my shape at my slimmest. I'm quite envious of the few people on this thread who are content with their bodies. Friends and family sometimes comment on my 'lovely figure' (e.g. when we're trying on clothes) and I know they mean it but I don't see what they see. I think it's like G'em said about looking at a photo of yourself; you tend to focus just on the bits you don't like but other people see the whole of you.

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight? My general weight really. I've more or less accepted that I'll never have slim, toned legs but I think I'll be reasonably happy when I'm back to a healthy weight range and waist size.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape? Not difficult but I do avoid certain clothes, like skinny jeans and short dresses/skirts because I don't think they flatter my shape.

@wild cat - If you search again you'll find a similar article in the Independent from 2005. Which may mean there are two studies that prove that only 9% of women are hourglass bodyshape...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Where do I even begin :rolleyes: Very top heavy (32J/JJ depending) so have to usually wear a size 14 in tops, and normally a size 8/10 on the bottom. Buying dresses is a nightmare... :D
    Having big boobs can be a nightmare in terms of clothes buying but overall I am pretty happy with my shape. Husband loves it ;) But I like the fact that I have curves. Hated them when I was younger (started developing very early so had all the teenage hormone and body change problems a lot younger than my friends) but gradually grew to accept them. People often tell me how jealous they are that I have big boobs, but I always tell them the same thing: Try lugging them around with you all day long and try looking for an outfit for a night out and you'll soon change your mind!!
    Well over a year and a half ago I was 3 stone heavier so I'm happy that I achieved such a great loss. In terms of the weight that I am, usually I'm in or around the same weight consistently, plus or minus a few lb. Could do with losing a bit off my belly but that's my own laziness at work!
    Anything for the bottom half is no problem, I'm 5 foot 5 so I don't have to worry about things being too long for the most part. But the top half is a nightmare. I can't wear so many things that are available because they look terrible on. To get a strappy vest top that looks good can be next near impossible. Dresses are a nightmare, I had to look for a dress for a family event 6 months in advance of it and only managed to get something the week before. I think there are more top heavy women out there than clothes manufacturers think too!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

terlywerly wrote: »
    Dresses are a nightmare, I had to look for a dress for a family event 6 months in advance of it and only managed to get something the week before. I think there are more top heavy women out there than clothes manufacturers think too!!

I think anyone bigger than a D cup can 100% agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

The thing is these body types are not limited to strict proportions, just overall shape.

The 9% is probably the percentage who have the exact same bust and hips and 9" smaller waist that was referred to. General wider hips/chest & smaller waist is probably the more general hourglass shape, not the "perfect" hourglass shape. Lucky me, I can count myself in the so-called "perfect" group. :rolleyes:

The odd thing is when I was younger I used to feel fat because I didn't have a 12" difference (36-24-36). Well that and the way boys treated me but oh well! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Maxi-dresses for small or medium-sized women definitely don't appear to be made with big boobs in mind.

Dudess wrote: »
    Maxi-dresses for small or medium-sized women definitely don't appear to be made with big boobs in mind.

I found a lovely one in New Look a while back, not a tinker tit in sight!!

I always wondered why the craze for breast enlargement was so popular, it's so hard to dress them and find clothes that are flattering. I used to hate mine as I felt they were too big and even thought of getting a reduction but I've grown to accept them and in the men in my life have never complained ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Hate it hate it hate it. Especially at the moment. Keep meaning to go back to weight watchers. haha.
    The only part of my body that I like are my legs. I've always been the same though. Now I look back and wonder what my problem was. I looked alot better a few years ago....even up to 2 years ago.
    My belly is my main problem. and generally my upper body. upper arms and that. I have no arse and no hips. I believe my body shape is called a "Triangle" its a load of ****. I need to take matters in hand and do something about it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know it's shallow and not good to be too obsessed with weight
    I don't think it's shallow or obsessive to want to be happy with your body though.
    but the day I stood on those scales and seen I had dropped a full half stone I was elated, nothing could bring me down from cloud 9 that day, it really gave me a boost to continue with the healthy eating and exercise!
    Fair play to ya! Is it just going from your stomach, or other places too? My understanding was that you can't lose fat from one particular area, it burns all over, even from places you don't particularly want to lose any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

All this talk about larger chests not fitting into dresses...I have a small chest and also find it difficult to find dresses to fit! Anything with a wrap-over type top always hangs off me. And most satin-ish material shift dresses. And strapless dresses are just a no! Only things that work are usually the really clingy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Lia_lia wrote: »
    All this talk about larger chests not fitting into dresses...I have a small chest and also find it difficult to find dresses to fit! Anything with a wrap-over type top always hangs off me. And most satin-ish material shift dresses. And strapless dresses are just a no! Only things that work are usually the really clingy ones.
    I'm a small B cup and agree it is quite difficult unless the dress has some kind of strap.

Shops really don't cater for various shapes and never take bust size into account.

Dudess wrote: »

Fair play to ya! Is it just going from your stomach, or other places too? My understanding was that you can't lose fat from one particular area, it burns all over, even from places you don't particularly want to lose any.

I don't really know, I don't notice it in the mirror but my jeans are fitting more comfortably and don't feel as tight. Any weight I seem to put on goes straight to my stomach so I always just presumed that it would leave from there first? I'd love to be able to shape my figure like plasticine and choose where the weight goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

I've always had issue with my weight. I'm a logical person so in my teens I told myself it was ok to be the outsider and not as skinny as the rest but in reality it was getting to me. When I got to college and started putting on weight due to depression it was a vicious cycle. It was only when I started feeling better that I realized how heavy I was. I have always tried to be healthy but the skinny/typical vision of beauty was always hanging over me. It still is. I try to be careful about getting obsessive again but it's a struggle. I feel guilty eating for the majority of the time. For a while I used to feel real anxiety eating out because I couldn't count the calories.

In the past few years things have settled down. I lost 2.5 stone in a few months of healthy eating and lots of running. But I'm still not happy. And I look in disgust at old pictures of myself. I don't think that's normal. Another stone and I should be happy but I'm afraid the number I want to achieve will keep going down. As it stands I'm 5'5" and a size 12 usually top and bottom, sometimes 14

Advertisement