Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A tour of the atlantic coast.

• 06-05-2005 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I'd like some new experiences this season instead of always going for the easy option of revisiting the old favourites. The old favourites include Achill, SDW, Waterworld and (last year) Dingle. On my to-do list this year are Kilkee and the Skelligs. Any other suggestions? Myself and the other three are not into (or qualified for) deep or technical diving but between us have been diving regularly for a couple of years mostly in Ireland or Scotland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Max depth?

Couple of suggestions off hand would be aquaholics. Few good sites there in varying depth. In and around 18-32m.

Another suggestion would be the laurentic, off malin head. 39m at low, 42m at high water.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

I highly recommend Inis Meain (Aran Islands). Let me know if you want any contact details. The diving there can be spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Inis Meain is supposed to be lovely, heading there for a week in July. Can also reccomend Valentia ( linky ). Was there this weekend. Not a lot of life but some crystal clear waters and some great caves/rocks to swim around/in. Plus the night life there is great. The only bad thing is the distance from Dublin. About 6 hours at best. (Must buy helicopter).

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

did any of yeah see the national geographic about the scuba diving off valentia...i have never done scuba diving so was wondering about it for beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There's a few ways to check out scuba diving for the complete newbie. I'd recommend doing the Discover Scuba course in a PADI dive center to see if it suits you. If it does then you can either continue with PADI or join a club and follow the CFT route. Both will qualify you to dive by giving you a license. Some people do PADI and CFT to get the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gjim

Thanks folks.

Max depth would be around 30m or 35m but ideally we prefer staying in the 20s range. We're all on single tanks breathing air so, in addition to safety concerns, we'd would be prefer longer bottom times than depth. It's impossible to get a gang together more than once a month, so when we do get underwater, I'd prefer to have more than 5 minutes bottom time.

Yes the drive from Dublin (for two of us) to many of these places is a killer but I guess you have to make some sacrifices for the pleasure of diving.

I should have mentioned Valentia on the wish list too. A friend passed on the National Geographic with that article; it looks awesome. I'd definitely be interested in contact details for Inis Meain and I'll look into Aquaholics. If we got these five places done this season, I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

That National Geographic wasn't just around Valentia. The picture of the dolphin is a dolphin I've dived with myself off Clare and quite a few pictures were taken around Inis Meain I think as well.

When we were diving in Inis Meain last year or the year before we met the photographers who were working on that piece. You should have seen the amount of kit they had with them.. I'll send you the email address via PM... don't want to make it too easy for spammers by putting it here

Advertisement