Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A practical approach to quality decompression: Wed 6th Jan 2010 TCD

• 21-12-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Dublin University Sub Aqua Club presents...

Stewart Andrews : A practical approach to quality decompression
    8pm, Wed 6th Jan 2010
    Thomas Davis Theatre, Arts Block, Trinity College Dublin

I'm delighted that Stewart Andrews has accepted our invitation to come to Trinity College and present a talk on decompression diving techniques entitled: A practical approach to quality decompression. Stewart has been diving for the last 22 years and since 2003 on an Inspiration rebreather. He is a very active instructor within Dalkey Scubadivers / CFT and most of his circa. 150 dives per year are completed on a 10 litre cylinder.

Stewart has performed many deep dives including RMS Amazon (-117m), HMHS Britannic (-116m), TSS Translyvania (-131m), HMS Curacoa (-125m), HMS Carinthia (-115m), SS Flavia (-105m), HMS Audacious (-64m), etc etc. He is constantly seeking new wreck diving possibilities in his favourite haunt offshore north Donegal. Stewart is remarkable in his mental fortitude, focus and meticulous attention to planning and preparation for these dives which may have run times of up to 6 hours and which can occur 40+ miles offshore in the unpredictable waters of the north Atlantic. Over the years doing these demanding dives he has come to observe a set of principles when applied result in optimal and efficient decompression with risk of DCI minimised and offering the best opportunities for a diver remaining healthy. Even better this advice can be applied to ANY dive including those that stay within so-called No Decompression Limits.

As usual the show is free and open to the public so bring friends etc. We will be accepting donations on behalf of the National Maritime Museum after the show.

See you there,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

really looking forward to this 1 .

scubasteve

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

Don't forget about Stewart's presentation this coming Wed. If you're coming in the Nassau St/Dawson St side entrance - just take the first building entrance on your right.

Davis Theatre is the last theatre on the right hand side inside the building.

Show starts at 8pm sharp

If anyone is driving in then I reckon your best bet is Setanta Car Park just off Molesworth Street: http://www.dublinks.com/maps/Setanta-Car-Park

Hope to see you there.

S

I've just been on to the college authorities. They are requesting that we try our best to make an early finish 9pm to allow folk (including their own staff who assist us with the venue) to get home on the roads safely. This is really good of them as closing the building due to the weather at 6pm was a real possibility for a while.

I'd really appreciate it if you could arrive a wee bit early (7.45pm?) so we can get going as early as possible and have enough time for the presentations, Q&A at the end etc.

Cheers, Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

sound , coming straight from college anyway . its only up the road from the royle college of surgoens

Just been talking to Stewie. We're in agreement to run with the talk for the sake of the folk who do turn up (as opposed to cancelling at last minute and folks who do manage to get in not hearing about it and turning up to a no-show on our part). He'd rather not let those folk down.

For the folk who will have difficulty travelling, thats completely understandable and we may arrange another date and certainly Stewart is happy to give the talk again.

So its green light for GO

S

• Advertisement

The roads and paths were hell. It was tricky even walking a couple of hundred yards to the DART station never mind driving!

However we went ahead with a very respectable turnout considering the circumstances presumably from folk who were either on the rail line or within walking distance and I must say thank you very much for coming and my sympathies to all those who had good intentions dashed. Sincere thanks to Stewart making the commitment to present come hell or high water. Much appreciated.

The show was very informative. I must say I am a bit of a deco geek so I just lap up all the info.

I really must thank Trinity College. The staff had been sent home and the university pretty much closed down in the late afternoon but one member of staff stayed on to open the Arts building for us so we could go ahead with the presentation. I really must thank the college for the support on this. Its absolutely superb.

Unfortunately we didn't make a podcast recording as the IT staff had also headed home but they offered to login from home and start the recording for us. Unfortunately the PC in the theatre malfunctioned and we just went off Stewies laptop but again the Trinity Services were looking out for our best interests. Amazing to be honest.

Better news is that we raised €120 for the National Maritime Museum in Dun Laoghaire and thank you very much for your generosity.

Did Stewie mention something about another date in March? Hmmm perhaps ;)

S

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

S don't know how feasible it would be, but a recording and podcast that you could download for a nominal fee would be a great add on if possible

Advertisement