Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance renewal increase 123%.

• 16-09-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

My renewal with Aviva under the multi car scheme for my wife’s motor has increased from €300.09 to €670.34. There has been no accidents in the mean time nor penalty points accrued. There are discounts for multi car and home insurance with them. The gross premium coverage before discounts went from €1003.86 to €1963.07. I contacted Aviva and was told this was due to an increase in the last 12 months in whiplash claims. She would not elaborate on whether all policies went up by the same amount but she has seen increases like this but couldn’t discuss further.

I wonder what my options are given we are 50+ and it’s a serious hike. The policy is due to lapse on the 8th of October. Last year I renewed on the 9th as was away on holiday and got for €300 as opposed to €326 as a new policy. As a named driver on the my Aviva insurance is my wife insured to drive her car third party?

Btw I put the reg plate into Aviva.ie and put myself as the driver and got a quote of €386 but do not think you can have 2 insurance policies in your own name for two different cars. Any direction from any of the boardies would be appreciated.

The operator must be getting a lot of flak and was very indifferent but I suppose she doesn’t really care as it’s not her decision to hike the rate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

Welcome to Ireland in 2019 I'm afraid.

Its a pain but I'd shop around and get the most competitive quote around, then call Aviva back and tell them you are leaving them because you found better elsewhere. They will either come down or you will actually have to move. Its a crazy situation given your seemingly good record with them and the fact that the whiplash thing has been shown to be blown out of proportion by these companies but unfortunately this is what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Go elsewhere, Aviva won’t miss you and you certainly won’t miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wife renewal. Went up 250 to 14450 with 123.ie
    1yt NCB 10years name driver. No claims ever.

It's4women quoted 850.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How old is the car? They're applying loadings at 10 years and 15 years now.

Edit: never mind, just read this bit:
    md23040 wrote:
    Btw I put the reg plate into Aviva.ie and put myself as the driver and got a quote of €386 but do not think you can have 2 insurance policies in your own name for two different cars. Any direction from any of the boardies would be appreciated.

I'd say try it again with your wife's details and see what happens. Then ring them up with the quote if it's cheaper than the renewal quote they offered you. Not uncommon for insurance companies to chance their arms with renewal quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Shop around, my partners insurance increased by close to 300% with Liberty, got a policy with Allianz for a more modest increase of 30% which included a change of address to a(n) (apparently) more high risk area.

Loyalty is wasted and will only cost you money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

My wife's policy has shot up on renewal this year with Aviva as well.... see here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111359671&postcount=4272

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭md23040

Just an update that I got a letter from Aviva saying there had been a computer glitch for the renewal and it should have been €398. The company phoned me and spoke to my wife and apologised for the situation but I was at work.

I allowed the policy to lapse at midnight and renewed the next morning by contacting the call centre and the €398 could still be active. Informed them that I entered the profile online with increased protection to the NCD and the fee was €330. They told me to take this out as they couldnt compete with the online offers etc. The agent was very nice and profession compared to my last experience. All is good again in the world - for now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's4women quoted 850.

type surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lawred2 wrote: »

It's4women quoted 850.

type surely?

So meta :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stark wrote: »
    So meta :p

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Get a quote again as a new customer online from Aviva.

Saved myself 300 euro before doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's4women quoted 850.

Should have read 1450 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Carslover1

I would suggest to report it to the ombudsman and to the CBI. The CBI is as I heard preparing investigation on these issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Carslover1 wrote: »
    I would suggest to report it to the ombudsman and to the CBI. The CBI is as I heard preparing investigation on these issues...

Investigate what specifically? Id say its obvious that seperate insurance businesses are acting in a way that points to collusion, blaming high premiums and large increases on a small segment of dubious claims (not that Im defending suspect claims, but from what Ive read previously Insurance companies couldnt or would not come up with the data that could prove their assertions were correct.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement