Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance

• 08-09-2019 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭

My friend got a text message from their insurance company saying that they owe money, (screenshot provided) it seems like a scam to me as everything is normally done by email. He received no email to say these charges were due.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Log into his genuine account, don't use any links. I'm not sure this is even possible as not with them.

Would he really owe that amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Log into his genuine account, don't use any links. I'm not sure this is even possible as not with them.

Would he really owe that amount?

I have logged into his email account, I'm in control of it as he hasn't a clue about technology..... No way would he owe that amount, I don't think he owes anything at all.

There was a link in the text message and I clicked it, it brought me to that message.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,072 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What address was the website when you clicked on the link?

What address was the website when you clicked on the link?

Not sure, I know Liberty was in the address, (I need to see my friends phone to get the exact address) when I looked at the text message to see who the sender was it just said "Liberty" and no number.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have logged into his email account, I'm in control of it as he hasn't a clue about technology..... No way would he owe that amount, I don't think he owes anything at all.

There was a link in the text message and I clicked it, it brought me to that message.

You need to log into his Liberty account not the email account. Even if you can't access his Liberty account he should call them today and verify the text message, as getting an insurance policy cancelled is not something anyone wants.

• Advertisement

I managed to get his account registered, it seems to be a genuine text as the amount is there in his account details... There's a + then a - below it, so I take it they removed the charge.. He's trying to get through to them on the phone now, on hold almost 20 minutes so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I'm guessing he hasn't sent in proof of his no claims bonus and that discount has been removed from premium.

Get a copy of it and send it to Liberty and all will be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Whether that txt message was genuine or not, you are asking for trouble clicking on a link that arrives in a text message. It's the principal route by which so-called premium data providers rake in money via scammers.

This is how people end up subscribing to a daily horoscope or an inspiring 'thought for the day' and they don't realise how much it's costing them until their pay as you go credit gets drained or their next monthly bill is through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Apart from anything else you gotta love the friendly, personal touch.....

.....'Hello Danny',

followed by a Bill for nearly Three Grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement