Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 College Football Thread

• 25-08-2019 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there isn't a thread for the 2019 season already but I really enjoyed the Miami v Florida game last night. Tonnes of mistakes from both sides, especially in the last 5 minutes when it looked like they were both doing everything possible to lose the game. Exciting end to the game though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Surprised there isn't a thread for the 2019 season already but I really enjoyed the Miami v Florida game last night. Tonnes of mistakes from both sides, especially in the last 5 minutes when it looked like they were both doing everything possible to lose the game. Exciting end to the game though.

Stayed up for the first quarter... Good to have Saturdays back

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Florida ranked 8th in the preseason poll,they could even drop outside the top 25 by seasons end.Some of the tackling by Florida was laughable and so many stupid penalties keeping Miami in it.Im not sold on Frank's at all ,but still it was an exciting game .Oregon Auburn next week should be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

Having lost ESPN coverage because of BT going over to Sky. I'm going to have to make alternative arrangements to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Stayed up for it as a casual Miami fan, watch college ball most weekends when its on but not as dedicated are as up to speed as I am with NFL. Enjoyed the game, I don't think Florida will have any of Clemson or Bama shaking in their boots. Should really have lost the game only for poor play from Miami. Thought the freshman QB for Miami did ok considering but really it was their defence that kept the game alive. As rebelyell99 said above, Floridas tackling was so bad, falling off RBs constantly.

Lots of good teams this year and will be great to see if Clemson can repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's hard to take anything away from that game. These are two programs that want t beat each other up when they meet every few years. It's a game that neither team wants to lose and Florida came into that game with a very bad recent record in that game.

I wouldn't be calling it either way on anybody after that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread on this already (maybe I missed it), but the action has already gotten under way with last Saturday's victory by no.8 Florida over Miami.

Clemson are back in action Thursday and then a full slate of games takes place Saturday.

Any thoughts on the rankings? Any games coming up this weekend to keep an eye on?

Personally I'm not too bothered about the rankings in week 1, they'll take shape in their own time. Oregon and Auburn on Saturday looks to be the pick of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Hawaii beating Arizona was a shocker.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread on this already (maybe I missed it)

I thought the same on Sunday morning

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058009564

(Mods - delete mine, this has a fancier title!).

I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread on this already (maybe I missed it)

I thought the same on Sunday morning

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058009564

(Mods - delete mine, this has a fancier title!).
    Balls sorry, no, delete this it has less discussion done!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Threads merged.

• Advertisement

notobtuse wrote: »
    Hawaii beating Arizona was a shocker.
    You obviously didn't see much of Hawaii last season. They went 8-6 and beat Colorado State in their first game.

Really looking forward to the UCLA vs Cincy game tonight.
    A lot of people are suggesting that Chip Kelly treated the whole of last year as preseason. This Bruins team could be anything and I'm hoping that Chip is back in the big time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

eagle eye wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the UCLA vs Cincy game tonight.
    A lot of people are suggesting that Chip Kelly treated the whole of last year as preseason. This Bruins team could be anything and I'm hoping that Chip is back in the big time tonight.

Tomorrow night / Friday morning at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

A few thoughts going into week 1.

How will Georgia Tech line out and will they give Clemson trouble (not beat them but cause a chink in their armor). I might regret saying this but I think Clemson will have a tougher year than expected.

How will LSU's offense develop going into the massive game versus Texas next weekend and will they struggle with a triple option.

Can Duke hang with Bama for a half and exploit what looks like a ropey D without Moses early on.

Who are Auburn this year? We know what Oregon are so its a great benchmark.

Will their be a shock anywhere? I can't see a major team going down, but invariably one does.

Really excited to have it back - nothing beats the college football season and each Saturday is a season in itself!

mooreman09 wrote:
    How will Georgia Tech line out and will they give Clemson trouble (not beat them but cause a chink in their armor). I might regret saying this but I think Clemson will have a tougher year than expected.
    I think Georgia Tech will give Clemson a good game. Two reasons for that, there is a bit of belief in Georgia Tech that they might have a really good team this year and Clemson don't normally hit top gear until a couple of games into the season. I remember Troy giving them a real fright a coupe of years ago and the Aggies last year nearly got them.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    How will LSU's offense develop going into the massive game versus Texas next weekend and will they struggle with a triple option.
    I'm not sure about either of those teams this season. They are both in a prove it situation.

mooreman09 wrote:
    Can Duke hang with Bama for a half and exploit what looks like a ropey D without Moses early on.
    Alabama are always good in week 1.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    Who are Auburn this year? We know what Oregon are so its a great benchmark.
    Auburn are the most unpredictable the in the whole of college football. They could be middle of the road or national champs by years end.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    Will their be a shock anywhere? I can't see a major team going down, but invariably one does.
    Buckeyes are the ones that may fall off a cliff with the loss of Urban Meyer.

Surely Jim Harbaugh will be under huge pressure if they cant bear Ohio state this year.With Ohio transitioning from Urban to Ryan day with a new QB and the game also being in the big house.Also I dont get all the hype about shea Patterson,watched a fair bit of him last year and didn't think he was all that great tbh.

Surely Jim Harbaugh will be under huge pressure if they cant bear Ohio state this year.With Ohio transitioning from Urban to Ryan day with a new QB and the game also being in the big house.Also I dont get all the hype about shea Patterson,watched a fair bit of him last year and didn't think he was all that great tbh.

Yeah, Patterson was ok - his numbers were better than how he looked though and on paper he's probably the best returning QB in the conference.

I think a lot of the hype is on the Gattis hire as OC and how that might suit Patterson. Time will tell, but surely Harbaugh needs a bigger year this season.

Another way to view it though is to see how much they've improved since Jim took over - not that the floor was high at the time...

mooreman09 wrote: »
    Yeah, Patterson was ok - his numbers were better than how he looked though and on paper he's probably the best returning QB in the conference.

I think a lot of the hype is on the Gattis hire as OC and how that might suit Patterson. Time will tell, but surely Harbaugh needs a bigger year this season.

Another way to view it though is to see how much they've improved since Jim took over - not that the floor was high at the time...

Yeah he has brought them 3 ten win seasons in his four years there but I would say if there not in the big 10 championship game this year it will be seen as a big disappointment. Hard to believe they havnt won the big 10 since 2004,for a programme of there stature that's pretty brutal.

Lot of blow outs and poor quality football so far but finally we have a tasty looking match up between Auburn and Oregon from JerryWorld.

Ducks off to a 7 - 0 flyer but Tigers are on the move here.

Unbelievable comeback from Auburn to win that. Great play call by the coach and decision making by the QB for the TD in their last play.

• Advertisement

Some teams are showing serious potential. Others looked laboured.

Fair play to Auburn, great comeback.

Bama looked impressive at a canter, LSU really impressed me, ohio state showed their going nowhere and Georgia had a typical Georgia early season performance.

Mack Brown getting the win against SC was great too. Mad Saturday.

Good win for Auburn ,that QB didn't do bad for his first start in such a big game .Oregon really needed to win this to have any chance at the playoff you feel ,coaching let them down second half.That result probably means there will be no pac 12 team in the playoff again this year.

Anyone watching this game? Really rusty start from ND, to be charitable about it. Got a very easy first td but the D have given up to consecutive TDs, even after being let off the hook on one catch judged incomplete but the refs. Crowd are now getting really into it, they bed a really good drive here to shut them up. Either way, not a convincing start, although lots of the top teams started slow this weekend.

Anyone watching this game? Really rusty start from ND, to be charitable about it. Got a very easy first td but the D have given up to consecutive TDs, even after being let off the hook on one catch judged incomplete but the refs. Crowd are now getting really into it, they bed a really good drive here to shut them up. Either way, not a convincing start, although lots of the top teams started slow this weekend.

Yeah, running game has been great but it's turning into a dogfight now. Book starting to look shaky.

Had to pause to put my kid to bed so I'm a little behind but THREE fumble recoveries in Succession before the end of the half, I've never seen anything like that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

polaris68 wrote: »
    Yeah, running game has been great but it's turning into a dogfight now. Book starting to look shaky.

He broke a cheerleader's nose too

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1168720922582364160

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Irish won't be as good this year, although having said that, winning by 18 and hitting the spread wasn't too bad a look. Louisville are an infinitely more motivated and locked-in team this season than they were last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Texas A&M at Clemson should be decent at the weekend. Clemson are obviously favourites but Jimbo will definitely get a tune out of A&M for this one and their QB Mond is an NFL prospect himself. They have an absolutely brutal schedule this year though - Clemson, Bama, Georgia and LSU.

Texas A&M at Clemson should be decent at the weekend. Clemson are obviously favourites but Jimbo will definitely get a tune out of A&M for this one and their QB Mond is an NFL prospect himself. They have an absolutely brutal schedule this year though - Clemson, Bama, Georgia and LSU.
    It will be a good game tough to see A & M troubling them all that much on the road though.Lsu and Texas will be a huge non conference game aswell.Ohio state Cincinnati could also be a decent game.

• Advertisement

I think the A&M game will be tighter than the 17.5 pt spread. Hoping LSU get the business done, I'm confident they will, but Herman is great with big games.

Nice saturday night viewing.

Advertisement