Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sega Megadrive mini

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I'd be a very, very, very casual gamer at best, but the ability to add Mega Drive games to it is all I want for a hack. If that happens, I will probably pull the trigger on buying one

I'd love if you could add games officially, say something like the Nintendo store where you could buy the classic games. Sega could at least make its own games available on an e-store format on the web, you add the roms to the console with a usb or something. I'm sure it doesn't make sense, they would have done it surely and made some money off the huge catalogue of Mega Drive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

So as a very casual gamer that had the megadrive as my first console and can remember playing sonic,paperboy,road rash and streets of rage am i better off getting the mini or the flashback?(would have no idea how to hack or anything so doesnt really appeal to me) just want to relive some childhood memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

markc91 wrote: »
    So as a very casual gamer that had the megadrive as my first console and can remember playing sonic,paperboy,road rash and streets of rage am i better off getting the mini or the flashback?(would have no idea how to hack or anything so doesnt really appeal to me) just want to relive some childhood memories!

Mini. Especially if they're a similar price.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The Mini is ready to play and works great. I got one for 70 euro out of Argos. It will need a power plug (5 volt, over 1.0 amp) and that’s it, you are good to go.

Sonic 1 & 2 are on the Mini, along with Road Rash 2. No Paperboy tho.

The Flashback has some issues, and at the same price, it’s probably not worth getting. If it were cheaper then maybe, as in much cheaper.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    The Mini is ready to play and works great. I got one for 70 euro out of Argos. It will need a power plug (5 volt, over 1.0 amp) and that’s it, you are good to go.

Sonic 1 & 2 are on the Mini, along with Road Rash 2. No Paperboy tho.

The Flashback has some issues, and at the same price, it’s probably not worth getting. If it were cheaper then maybe, as in much cheaper.

Mini not come with a power plug :confused:

• Advertisement

Mini not come with a power plug :confused:

It doesn’t. It comes with the USB cable to connect from power plug to console. You probably have the type of power plug at home already as they are quite common, off the top of much head it’s a Type A USB 3.0 power plug. They are very cheap, you’ll find them in any Euro shop.

This is one.

I think it’s a trend nowadays for manufacturers to cut down on costs to not include one.

ok cheers and is there any games that the flashback has that the mini doesnt that are worth having?

ok cheers and is there any games that the flashback has that the mini doesnt that are worth having?

I think it possibly has more games, it's got 85 built-in. Just what I found online, this site mentions the line up on the machine. This is what it has that the Mini doesn't:
    Lovin.ie wrote:
    Alien Storm
    Arrow Flash
    Bonanza Bros.
    Chakan: The Forever Man
    Columns
    Columns III
    Crack Down
    Decap Attack
    ESWAT: City Under Siege
    Fatal Labyrinth
    Flicky
    Gain Ground
    Golden Axe III
    Jewel Master
    Mortal Kombat
    Mortal Kombat II
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
    Phantasy Star II
    Ristar
    Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
    Shining Force II
    Shining in the Darkness
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Spinball
    Super Thunder Blade
    Sword Of Vermilion
    The Ooze
    Vectorman 2

The rest of the games are a mix of Master System games or filler material which never came out on Mega Drive. I don't think there's many must-have games in the list, maybe Ristar and Mortal Kombat. Down to personal taste I think.

Just found my old mega drive no games though so no need for the flashback wheres the best place to get the mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Just found my old mega drive no games though so no need for the flashback wheres the best place to get the mini?

The cheapest I have seen them is in Harvey Normans for €75. I'm wondering if it will come down a bit after Christmas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

The 2 Lidls in Letterkenny were sold out of the Megadrive Flashbacks on Friday when I went in. Still a couple of Atari Flashbacks though (which I heard are actually decent enough, by comparison to the verdict on the Megadrive one).

MSVforever wrote: »
    The cheapest I have seen them is in Harvey Normans for €75. I'm wondering if it will come down a bit after Christmas....

Got it in smyths today for €75

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I was reading about the new trueblue mini for the mega drive mini (non atgames). Is this currently the only way to add more games?

I was reading about the new trueblue mini for the mega drive mini (non atgames). Is this currently the only way to add more games?

Project Lunar is going to be released soon, could be a few more weeks before it goes beta, it will allow you to add games yourself:

Skip to 5:10 into the video. The great thing is it will use the stock UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

These are 69 in Smyths now, dunno if to get one or not :(. I have an emulator on an android tablet which works fine for all these games. I like the idea of having two official Sega controllers with this mini and rigging it up to my TV like old times. Is it worth 69 ??? I had the Snes mini and barely touched it to be honest. As a kid I had the megadrive and wished for an official mini version of it. Now that one is available I don't know if I even want to buy it now.

What should I do ? I'm sitting in Costa here having my usual bad cappuccino. Smyths is near by....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mondeo wrote: »
    These are 69 in Smyths now, dunno if to get one or not :(. I have an emulator on an android tablet which works fine for all these games. I like the idea of having two official Sega controllers with this mini and rigging it up to my TV like old times. Is it worth 69 ??? I had the Snes mini and barely touched it to be honest. As a kid I had the megadrive and wished for an official mini version of it. Now that one is available I don't know if I even want to buy it now.

What should I do ? I'm sitting in Costa here having my usual bad cappuccino. Smyths is near by....

The emulators are available for free online. How much are you really going to play it? Do you need more clutter and cables in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Project Lunar will be released shortly. So apart from the core games it comes with you can revist any other classics. Playing on a TV is a nice touch too.

Given it's christmas that 69 euro could give you a couple of hours of fun. Easily spend that on a night out.

Project Lunar will be released shortly. So apart from the core games it comes with you can revist any other classics. Playing on a TV is a nice touch too.

Given it's christmas that 69 euro could give you a couple of hours of fun. Easily spend that on a night out.

I read about project lunar, that has been ongoing for months now. When will they release it I wonder. Adding new games would be the reason I would go for it. If it was locked down then I really wouldn't buy it. There are games I want that are not on it. Streets of Rage 1, Revenge of Shinobi, Outrun, Robocop. These were big ones for me and I must have them on it.

I also have an original Megadrive 1 which does not work anymore. I had a loose idea of gutting the megadrive mini and putting the board inside my original Megadrive 1. This would be cool i think since it's official Sega hardware going into an official original Megadrive. I could do a nice neat little job of this.

Hmmm ye I might swing around and get one and have some fun with this,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Nal wrote: »
    The emulators are available for free online. How much are you really going to play it? Do you need more clutter and cables in your house?

You need to put a bit of work into emulation to give it that polished feel to rival these mini consoles. For a start, you don't want to be clicking "file", "load rom", and selecting roms with a mouse...from that very moment you're disconnected form the experience imo. Secondly, you need to set up and configure a proper frontend that allows you to browse through games via boxart (using a controller!). Thirdly, shaders...

I'm all for emulation, it's my method of choice for retro gaming, but the convenience of these first party plug n play minis has a lot to be said for it, to rival them through pc based software is a few hours work of set up (though imo the end result is far superior), and not everyone wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Inviere wrote: »
    You need to put a bit of work into emulation to give it that polished feel to rival these mini consoles. For a start, you don't want to be clicking "file", "load rom", and selecting roms with a mouse...from that very moment you're disconnected form the experience imo. Secondly, you need to set up and configure a proper frontend that allows you to browse through games via boxart (using a controller!). Thirdly, shaders...

I'm all for emulation, it's my method of choice for retro gaming, but the convenience of these first party plug n play minis has a lot to be said for it, to rival them through pc based software is a few hours work of set up (though imo the end result is far superior), and not everyone wants that.

I think these little boxes are a great thing for those people who want to relive a bit of their childhood, but who never really got into PCs to the point where they're downloading and configuring emulators to do it.

The only problem with these things, really, is that they're a bit legally handcuffed in what games they can put on there, and this leads to some unusual choices. And then you might buy the thing and be disappointed a certain isn't on there, and then you're off googling how to get it on there via some 3rd party solution and with the amount of work you end up doing, maybe you'd have been as well to go the pure emulation route in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

briany wrote: »
    I think these little boxes are a great thing for those people who want to relive a bit of their childhood, but who never really got into PCs to the point where they're downloading and configuring emulators to do it.

The only problem with these things, really, is that they're a bit legally handcuffed in what games they can put on there, and this leads to some unusual choices. And then you might buy the thing and be disappointed a certain isn't on there, and then you're off googling how to get it on there via some 3rd party solution and with the amount of work you end up doing, maybe you'd have been as well to go the pure emulation route in the first place.

Fair point, but I think those hacks generally get very refined and automated as time goes by. Within six months of a hack being released, it's usually almost down to a few clicks of a mouse, throw some roms on a usb stick, and away you go.

To set up a comparable experience on a pc, you'd be looking at configuring retroarch as a base, then running launchbox over it...the end result is so well worth it, but I would say it's a LOT more involved than hacking a mini. You could always download pre-configured packs, but I was never a fan of those...they're almost always borked in some way and you've no idea how it all ties together.

I read about project lunar, that has been ongoing for months now. When will they release it I wonder. Adding new games would be the reason I would go for it. If it was locked down then I really wouldn't buy it. There are games I want that are not on it. Streets of Rage 1, Revenge of Shinobi, Outrun, Robocop. These were big ones for me and I must have them on it.

I also have an original Megadrive 1 which does not work anymore. I had a loose idea of gutting the megadrive mini and putting the board inside my original Megadrive 1. This would be cool i think since it's official Sega hardware going into an official original Megadrive. I could do a nice neat little job of this.

Hmmm ye I might swing around and get one and have some fun with this,

Well I bought it, ye its worth 69 imo. Playing it there the past 2 hours. Sonic has a little bit of slowdown at one point. Otherwise no problem.

Streets of Rage 2 is great, Echo the Dolphin is very nostalgic. The controllers are very light compared to the original one. The megadrive itself is very detailed, it's very true to the original one in appearance.

Well I bought it, ye its worth 69 imo. Playing it there the past 2 hours. Sonic has a little bit of slowdown at one point. Otherwise no problem.

Streets of Rage 2 is great, Echo the Dolphin is very nostalgic. The controllers are very light compared to the original one. The megadrive itself is very detailed, it's very true to the original one in appearance.

Retro-Bit do a nice 6 and 8 button controllers. Been a long time since I held an original Sega control pad but these ones feel authentic. Argos do the wired ones for 22 euro.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Retro-Bit do a nice 6 and 8 button controllers. Been a long time since I held an original Sega control pad but these ones feel authentic. Argos do the wired ones for 22 euro.

I seen that 6 button controller yes, When Lunar becomes available I will probably buy that 6 button pad for the sake of SNES games.

I'm really liking this new megadrive system, was up until 2am this morning playing Shinobi 3. I got killed by a flying "brain" before I called it a night:pac:

Been a long time since I stayed up late playing games like this. Can't wait to get home now and try crack Shinobi 3 !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If you do not have the means to get an original Megadrive and only have a HD tv at home then I would say this is worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd love to pick one up, but they seem to be sold out in Smyths, at least in my neck of the woods.
    It'll probably wind up in the cupboard along with the other mini consoles, the HDMI/Micro-USB are being occupied with a Retron-N at the moment, which is a pretty decent Nes clone which is playing my NES collection beautifully! Seems a shame to move it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I hope to get one over the Xmas holidays myself.

I've had very little reason to buy one since I got the Mega SG. But one thing the SG doesn't have that the Mini does - save states.

I've little patience for ploughing through a game in one sitting nowadays, so for the sake of save states I'd rather have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,423 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you not find save states suck the fun out of a game no? Kinda just like fast forwarding through the game to get to the end?

Half the fun of a good platformer is seeing how good you get with each attempt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you not find save states suck the fun out of a game no? Kinda just like fast forwarding through the game to get to the end?

Half the fun of a good platformer is seeing how good you get with each attempt :)

It used to suck the fun out of it for me, but I find the opposite happens nowadays. My attention span is not as good as it once was, I can't stick to one thing for a long period of time, I have to stop and do something else. Retro games are one of my favourite kind of games but the idea of having to have them beat in one sitting puts me off going back.

There are plenty of Mega Drive games that do not come with a battery, but are long playthroughs - best example of this is Kid Chameleon. That game can take upwards to 5 or 6 hours to beat, but you can't save it if you play it authentically.
    Castle of Illusion takes about 2 hours to complete and you also can't save anything on that.
    Sonic 2 takes about the same length of time.

I tend to play my retro games in much smaller bursts nowadays, and having the mini, with save states, would help in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but Kid Chameleon Stinks!!!!!

I actually prefer retro games these days because they can be played in 1 or 2 hours. I feel new games I've to invest a lot more time in them to get the same amount of fun.

And don't get me started on modern games where tutorials can last over an hour.

Advertisement