Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

• 17-11-2018 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I didn't want to clog up the general chats with this stuff. I think we talk about CRT displays enough to warrant a thread.

I mostly just wanted to get a hand from ye lads.

I have 4 of those 9 inch Sony's. Now I do find them a bit temperamental when hooking them up. My breakout cable could be in need of replacement but they all work and get a nice picture.

I wanted to daisy chain all 4 together to make a mini video wall. I'm having zero joy getting a picture on any of them off anything other than the RGB breakout with a RGB scart lead.

I've tried a head of different cables. Got those BNC converter's and even got RCA to BNC cable to try out. Still nothing.

rQI9bqk.jpg

Anyone be able to help me out with how to get these lads working. Thanks

Idea is to have an input to line A and then daisy chain it to the next unit from the out on the same line

3ZHDtBB.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Id love a dedicated CRT thread, keep all my inane ramblings in one place :D

Might sound obvious but do you have the buttons on the front configured correctly? (So line A with external sync off?)

All the chaining I've done is off RGB, haven't tried to do it with the composite lines. I've two cables with four BNC connectors that connect the RGB out lines on to the next monitor - I see that monitor doesn't have an RGB out though? Will have to check my one when I go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah I've tried every combo possible with the front buttons out of frustration haha

2 of the monitors weren't working properly Thursday night when I checked. I'd say I need to get a heap of new high quality cables really.

Need to figure out what ones I need for this setup though. All post a pic of all 4 over the weekend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    keep all my inane ramblings in one place :D

Pretty much why I became a mod here!

Master of the Universe

Had a look at my 9 Inch PVM over the weekend and it's the same as yours alright, only has RGB in, no RGB out.

I think the reason it never became an issue for me is I always had it at the end of a video chain, so didn't need to send video out of it.

The RCA cables you posted a photo of above with the BNC adapter on it are all you need really. It's exactly what I use when sending video into one of those monitors from my Famicom.

I'll try it with a few different consoles tonight and test the cables in the trinitron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

From the looks of the rear panel, I would assume its only the composite and s-video signals (NTSC) are being forwarded - RGB video is input only.

You really need some way of buffering the RGB signal, if you use a BNC T splitter you may be able to drive 2 screens but at the risk of damaging the console.

From the looks of the rear panel, I would assume its only the composite and s-video signals (NTSC) are being forwarded - RGB video is input only.

You really need some way of buffering the RGB signal, if you use a BNC T splitter you may be able to drive 2 screens but at the risk of damaging the console.

I'm trying to forward the composite video is all. Thought that would be the easiest rather than then 4 RGB breakout cables into a scart splitter.

I might have been better off with that haha :p

Master of the Universe

As much as I dislike using composite, it really doesnt look bad at all on a monitor this size. So if I were you I'd stick with just trying to chain the composites together alright. Sure it's just 1 RCA cable in and out of each monitor.

o1s1n wrote: »
    As much as I dislike using composite, it really doesnt look bad at all on a monitor this size. So if I were you I'd stick with just trying to chain the composites together alright. Sure it's just 1 RCA cable in and out of each monitor.

Exactly my thoughts. Except when the RCA cables don't seem to work

Master of the Universe

It's really weird isn't it? Do you have any consoles with composite out that you could just try to run into each monitor to confirm the video inputs are working?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Have another PVM incoming this Monday, I think I have a problem :eek:

What did you get?

Master of the Universe

A new 14 incher, looks minty.

20 inch is king but there's a lovely quality to 14 that I ended up missing after selling my other ones.

I'll be doing my usual mental **** and adding it to the video chain once it arrives. :D

Nice!

I should have a few hours to spare tonight. I'll go out and try get the PVMs sorted out. I'll post up a few pics

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Does anyone have photos of the Sanwa 29E31S CRT in a Naomi cabinet?

I picked up a chassis to replace a missing one and am trying to connect it up. It has a lovely layer of dormant bubonic plague dirt with the aroma of a 50 a day ashtray :D

There are 3x connector cables on the CRT side. Brown/White, Black/Black and Red/Blue:
    467268.jpg

There are 3x connector pin header points on the chassis board:

P410 (in around the flyback) fits both the black/black and red/blue cable - and both connectors fit in either way around too as the pin header on the chassis has no plastic "key" to show the correct orientation to plug it in:
    467269.jpg

P810 is around the side of the chassis. Again this fits the black/black and red/blue cable connectors either way around as there is no key:
    467270.jpg

No idea where the brown/white connector goes at all.
    Edit: P301 is the pin header for brown/white connector but yet again there is no pin header key to show the orientation:
    467271.jpg

Is it documented anywhere on how to connect these cables from the crt to the chassis?

I've read many posts online over the years of people slagging off the hantarex crts but good god the hantarex's are 5 star luxury compared to these Sanwa's :pac:

The black pair are for the degauss coil and plug into P810, doesn't matter which way.

The Red/Blue pair plug into P101 with the Blue wire on the left closed to the large coil with 31A written on it.

The Brown/White pair plug into a connector at the front of the chassis, behind the large heatsinks. Its hard to see with the chassis fitted as the tube is in the way. Brown wire to the left (assuming you are looking from behind).

If you get the cable orientation wrong the picture will be flipped on the vertical or horizontal axis

thanks a million for this. Hope it wasn't too much trouble for you to get access to the back. Really appreciate it!

When I get a chassis I always spray them with mr.muscle or the Aldi equivalent and rinse them off with warm water from the shower.
    They come up like new.
    Let them dry for a while of course.
    Do it with tubes too .

I’m glad i proof read that because it said
    I always spray them with my muscle ����

467424.jpg
    progress...

Great picture, looks way better than mine :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Currently carry a PVM 14L4 across the city centre.

At first they feel light, then very suddenly turn into a box of lead! :pac:

/ Home!

Started in an underground carpark two floors down with no lift.

20 minute walk concludes with a 5 storey lift up stairs.

I can't feel my arms. :D

On the plus side, this thing is mint! one private owner from new.

Master of the Universe

And it works! Thank fook.

thumbnail-IMG-20181203-145310112.jpg

Bit of a blurry pic but it gives you an idea of the size. I believe these were the last of the PVM CRT line produced. Unfortunately I'm one digit away from 480p (the L5s do that, this is an L4)

To save on space they don't have buttons along the bottom but instead have light up buttons along the bezel.

Because of this they look super clean rotated vertically. I'm thinking about using it for vertical Saturn and Dreamcast games.

IMG-20181203-144107096-HDR.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, if you feel the need to move one of them on... you know where I am!

Master of the Universe

Damn I thought this first photo was a bit clearer, need a new phone!

You can see the illuminated buttons though.
    IMG-20181203-151036010-HDR.jpg

IMG-20181203-151043828-HDR.jpg

800 TVL up close if anyone wants to see what I keep banging on about :D

Check out how many little vertical lines each scanline has going across. 2 to 3 times that of a standard TV.

800tv.jpg

Master of the Universe

One more set of photos and then I'll stop annoying ye :D

The cat decided the monitor couldn't possibly go in the bottom as that's apparently for her;

IMG-20181203-204139237.jpg

It's actually a pretty nice fit up the top. 54kg of weight in total!

Ultimately I want to get a new unit to put everything on but will have to be extremely selective in what is used for obvious enough weight reasons.

IMG-20181203-204619504.jpg

The video chain system is working really well with this setup, as it means being able to play vertical and hori games for the Dreamcast and Saturn without having to alter anything at all.

Switch on the PVM for verts or the BVM for hori.

IMG-20181203-211840903.jpg

That all looks pretty amazing, nice one!

Master of the Universe

When I put the 14 inch in between the cab and the BVM it was the same satisfying feeling you get from a long tetris block :D

I actually managed to pick that PVM up on Donedeal. A lad had it listed in Donegal a couple of months ago and I just asked on the off chance if he was ever down this way. Said he might be in the future.

Didn't think anything of it until a few days ago when he said he still had it and was on the way down.

Never really look at Donedeal at all but I'll be keeping an eye out in future.

There was a Sony CUBE on donedeal for a decent price a while ago. Down in West cork, I missed out on it. :(

There is a PVM on donedeal at the moment. €1300 though

Master of the Universe

There was a Sony CUBE on donedeal for a decent price a while ago. Down in West cork, I missed out on it. :(

There is a PVM on donedeal at the moment. €1300 though

Ah yes, that BVM D24. Fecking gorgeous yolk. There's something like 50,000 hours on it, but it does come with a brand new unused tube. He was looking for quite a bit more over on ebay. Actually I think there was mention of the image being a little blurry. Can't see anyone going for it at anywhere near that price. You never know with these things though.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Interesting discovery I made with DoDonPachi DaiOuJou and Espgaluda on the ps2 yesterday evening -

In regular hori mode, they both have that dreaded PS2 480i interlaced video signal, no scanlines and the image flickers. Actually made me a little nauseous yesterday.

If you flip them to tate and play them vertically they both magically change to 240p! So lovely thick scanlines and no flicker, looks absolutely stunning like a super bright arcade monitor.

I actually have an Extron RGB which downscales all 480i content to 240p, so you can do that with all consoles that lock to 480i. Going to see if I can find some way of working it into the setup.

Advertisement