Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dallas Cowboys Thread

• 23-03-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Lets keep this thread for all Dallas Cowboy related discussions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DJDisk

Just wondering how many Cowboys fans are on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

DJDisk wrote: »
    Just wondering how many Cowboys fans are on here?

Can't be too many they are America's least favoruite team:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24395744/poll-dallas-cowboys-are-actually-americas-least-favorite-team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm a cowboys fan and proud...been waiting for a thread like this. I followed the Big D from late 80's early 90's, call me a band wagon jumper i don't care. I recently got back into american football in a moderate way (there be some very knowledgable people in here so hard to say a big way) and getting to know more and more about how 5h1t3 things have become to my once proud franchise...
    Doing a lot of cowboys reading in the last six months, kindles make reading soo much easier, Boys Will Be Boys was some read.. My wife got me a book for Christmas "The Greatest Team Ever", devoured it and currently reading The Dallas Cowboys: The Outrageous History of the Biggest, Loudest, Most Hated, Best Loved Football Team in America which is very good.
    Any of you boys thinking of going over for the game at Wembley trying to decide between it and UFC Dublin in July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Also a Cowboys fan here, hoping for some improvements this year. 8-8 will not do for a 4th year in a row! I got into the Cowboys when they were winning everything in the early 90's and there was coverage on Channel 4. Yes I'm another bandwagoner! A few friends and I went over to a game last year...week 5...Denver...with a friend who is a massive Bronco fan! Despite the heartbreak it was still an amazing experience, cant wait to go again. I'd like to go to Wembley but not sure if I'll be able to round up the troops for Dallas and Jacksonville, Detroit and Arizona is the more appealing game. But yeah, 11 draft picks, gimme a beast of a pass rusher in round 1 please! Go on the Boys!

I was hoping to do a driving holiday last summer and take in an early season game just couldn't afford it in the end
    I will some day though..

• Advertisement

So folks who'd or what positions would ye like the big D to select in the upcoming draft...who should we look to bring in and send out on the current roster??
    Disappointed we've lost Ware and hatcher of defence and hope the free agents brought in hold up and improve things.
    Pity to see miles Austin gone from the roster too but he's not been posting good numbers recently,injuries have played cla huge part in that but he had fallen behind Dez Bryant and Tarrance Williams

Kinda surprised at the lack of anything in this thread so far. Americas team may not be Irelands team! That honour seems to go to the Patriots somehow.

As far as the draft goes, Aaron Donald would be nice, but I reckon he'll be gone by number 16. Ealy and Jernigan would be more likely though. I'd like Clinton-Dix, safety has to be addressed in the first or second round. They are going to need a WR too to replace Austin.

Its not great seeing the Skins get Jackson, the speed they have now on offence is worrying. The Giants have to improve this year, although it would be funny to see a repeat of last year! The Eagles will be stronger too, the Chip Kelly offence will really get the chance to bed in. They've improved their secondary too which was their weak point last year. The Cowboys have a lot of work to do to win the East.

Well the Patriots are the Boston team which is the Irish city so not surprising
    On who we'll get in the draft i couldn't even speculate as i know nothing about college football, but i agree with your point that our D needs to be upgraded significantly and a wide receiver to replace Miles taken in round 3 (have we a couple of picks in that round)
    The dream would be to trade up for johnny football (i know its not going to happen but one can always dream) and build a franchise around him, Murray, Dez, Williams and Witten
    i could see another 8 and 8 season happening again
    Jerry really needs to pull the finger out and gets things right from top to bottom. needs to **** or get off the pot
    We're getting into Raider territory now, a once great franchise that's now a laughing stock and as long as he remains around and in control we won't progress as a franchise

Seen a poll recently saying that the Cowboys are the most hated team in football, but also the 2nd most loved team, behind the Broncos. I kinda thought the Patriots had a similar love/hate thing going on.

Anyhow, I reckon the Texans will go with Clowney with the first pick and I know the Rams are open to trading down, you never know, Johnny Football might stay in Dallas! Never going to happen though! The Cowboys could always trade down, it all depends on what happens beforehand, if Donald is still available they have to get him.

They would want to look at tying down their two young Pro Bowlers, Bryant and Tyron Smith. The improvement in the offensive line last year was dramatic so tying down Smith is vital.

Double C wrote: »
    Seen a poll recently saying that the Cowboys are the most hated team in football, but also the 2nd most loved team, behind the Broncos. I kinda thought the Patriots had a similar love/hate thing going on.

Anyhow, I reckon the Texans will go with Clowney with the first pick and I know the Rams are open to trading down, you never know, Johnny Football might stay in Dallas! Never going to happen though! The Cowboys could always trade down, it all depends on what happens beforehand, if Donald is still available they have to get him.

They would want to look at tying down their two young Pro Bowlers, Bryant and Tyron Smith. The improvement in the offensive line last year was dramatic so tying down Smith is vital.

They have pics of Johny footballs pro day on the website maybe they are trying to get him to stick about..
    Yes Tyron smith being tied down would be good too, as you say offense is fine its the defence where we need bodies..
    Everyone wants Clowney but where does he want to go is the thing..

• Advertisement

I think the Texans will take Clowney, him And JJ Watt together would be scary. Its doesn't matter where he wants to go, whoever picks him gets him! They obviously need a QB as well so they could go that route either. I do think they can get a decent QB in the second round. Jones has come out and said that Romo is his main man and in fairness with the contract he signed last year, he's QB1 for the foreseeable future. If Romo produces the numbers he did last year we'll be ok. Someone just need to tell him to stop giving up interceptions, especially in the 4th quarter. They could do with a decent running back to keep Murray honest. Tanner looks decent but he seems injury prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

How many Cowboys fans have we got here in Ireland?

There only seems to be a few of us so far..

Any Cowboys fans on twitter?

I'm in twitter Fareen..
    Loads of cowboys players officials and DCC girls on it ;)

So we now have 4 QB's after we added Caleb Hanie to the roster last night. Looks like he'll shoot it out with Brandon Weeden to be 3rd choice behind Romo (who's restricted training at the moment) and Orton.

Schedule released
    First game is the 49ers at Cowboys stadium..god be with the early ninties when these were the season deciders!!!

Defence and draft
    We must be looking at strengthenining up the D during the draft as we've let Ware and Hatcher go on the free agency. We've brought in Melton from the bears and others (Can't remember their names) but there's a lot of holes there from last season which need to be addressed.

Still think we should be drafting Johnny Manziel first round if we can. Our QB's just aren't up to Playoff standards. Saw a few mock drafts and most were looking at Manziel going close to our first pick position so we should be trading up if needed and get him in now. He's Texas A&M and did a pro day with us so we should be moving heaven and earth to get him into a "Star". The Bucs are looking at him with no 7 pick, so maybe trade up there with the Glazers (hopefully they are distracted with United Problems ;) )

Any Cowboys fans on twitter here?

Well this is exactly what we didn't want the first week back.

Too right it's not
    Damn you Orton it makes the decision not to draft Manziel a bad one...

FFS Sean Lee gets a knee injury agh c'mon what is it with the D being continuously injured...

• Advertisement

It would have been a poor call drafting Manziel in fairness. Very entertaining but poor! They ended going the opposite route in the end, backing up Romo with a O lineman. I do think Orton will come back, but Weedon and Haine don't fill me with confidence if Romo doesn't come back healthy, early indications are positive on that fron though. Demarcus Lawrence seems to be Wares replacement, he's got big boots to fill. Kinda surprised they didn't go defence with the first pick, with Ealy, Pryor and Clinton Dix still on the board at the time. They seem happy enough going with J.J. Wilcox at strong safety. If the likes of Melton, Lawrence and a hopefully fit again Spencer sure up the front 7 it'll put less pressure on the secondary. Church and the cornerbacks are solid, its up to Wilcox to step up. Claiborne also. Devin Street is meant to be a good pick for the 5th round, a much needed addition to the WR group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

brinty wrote: »
    FFS Sean Lee gets a knee injury agh c'mon what is it with the D being continuously injured...

It's an awful shame as the guy is one hell of a backer when fit

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

My heart breaks reading this stuff.

Reports suggest the ACL is done. Best wishes to him- he's a stud on the rare occasion he's fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

CLip of the injury. Seems like nothing really.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/0ap2000000353612/Garrett-discusses-Lee-injury

The Bob Sanders of MLB. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is that Zack Martin who hit him on the play? Nothing to do with him of course, it was very innocuous, I'm just curious.

Terrible shame. He's had so many injuries though. A couple of serious ones in college, this ACL injury will be on the same leg as he did in college IIRC, hamstrings, wrist, toe. 18 games missed since he joined the league. Cracking player, but he just can't seem to stay fit unfortunately.

Yeah it was Martin who was involved. It's his left knee now, it was his right in college. He can't catch a break unfortunately. Here's hoping it's not the ACL but it most likely is, it's his season over if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

ACL...done for the season

Well damn it, ACL blown ain't good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

first of many across all teams tbh, sad news anyway

• Advertisement

Giving this thread a bump...
    any updates from the cowboys fans in Ireland

Advertisement